VOGONS

Best low profile 370 cooler

Topic actions

First post, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I received my Powerleap iP3/T adapter yesterday and the cooler on it is massive (GlacialTech Igloo 2310). I have to remove one of the RAM sticks as it's almost touching the fan! Are there any good low profile coolers that are suitable for cooling a 1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron? I've seen some low profile copper coolers (by Startech), but they state up to 1GHz Celeron/PIII chips 😒.

Reply 1 of 30, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PowerPie5000 wrote:

I received my Powerleap iP3/T adapter yesterday and the cooler on it is massive (GlacialTech Igloo 2310). I have to remove one of the RAM sticks as it's almost touching the fan! Are there any good low profile coolers that are suitable for cooling a 1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron? I've seen some low profile copper coolers (by Startech), but they state up to 1GHz Celeron/PIII chips 😒.

1 GHz Coppermines are about as hot as 1.4GHz Tualatins. I think you should be fine.

Edit:That is, if you can mount that cooler. The heatspreader of the Tualatins might be too high for the cooler to fit, perhaps that's the reason they state 1GHz as the top limit? Either that, or the coolers were made before Tualatin was made or Tualatin was omitted due to them being lazy 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 30, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

... The heatspreader of the Tualatins might be too high for the cooler to fit ..

Removing the IHS would solve that problem.

8662843.jpg

Ultimately I got fed up with the crappy Slot-1 cooling solutions and space constraints, and ghetto-modded my own aberration by bending 90 degrees a socket-A Thermalright SI-97 🤣 :

8548658.jpg 8653970.jpg 8653967.jpg

8548616.jpg 8714010.jpg

Last edited by TELVM on 2013-03-06, 15:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Let the air flow!

Reply 3 of 30, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TELVM wrote:
Removing the IHS would solve that problem. […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

... The heatspreader of the Tualatins might be too high for the cooler to fit ..

Removing the IHS would solve that problem.

8662843.jpg

Ultimately I got fed up with the crappy Slot-1 cooling solutions and space constraints, and ghetto-modded my own aberration by bending 90 degrees a slot-A Thermalright SI-97 🤣 :

8548658.jpg 8653970.jpg 8653967.jpg

8548616.jpg 8714010.jpg

Holy macaroni! 😳
Isn't the weight of that cooler too much?

Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 30, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:

Edit:That is, if you can mount that cooler. The heatspreader of the Tualatins might be too high for the cooler to fit, perhaps that's the reason they state 1GHz as the top limit? Either that, or the coolers were made before Tualatin was made or Tualatin was omitted due to them being lazy 😜

That might explain why the Glacial Tech Igloo cooler is so tight. It was a pain to remove and a pain to put back on... I thought the plastic tabs on the socket were going to snap off 😳.

Reply 5 of 30, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

... Isn't the weight of that cooler too much?

Been working like a charm for more than a year, 29 ºC idle / 33 ºC torturing with Prime95 @ 21 ºC ambient.

I wouldn't move the case by car with that thing inserted, however 🤣 .

Let the air flow!

Reply 6 of 30, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used a small copper socket a heatsink by q-tec. It was about as good as a normal aluminium one for an xp2000, seemed to fit my tualtin fine. Downside was the 5000 (or was it 6000?) rpm fan.

Reply 7 of 30, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PowerPie5000 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

That might explain why the Glacial Tech Igloo cooler is so tight. It was a pain to remove and a pain to put back on... I thought the plastic tabs on the socket were going to snap off 😳.

Well, I had that happen to me once, though it was a Super 7 board (the CPU was a Cyrix MII). I just used superglue to glue it back.
I have no solution for the tightness problem though (though you could possibly bend that metal clip a bit?), except to be careful when mounting and unmounting a cooler.

Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 30, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Well, I had that happen to me once, though it was a Super 7 board (the CPU was a Cyrix MII). I just used superglue to glue it back.
I have no solution for the tightness problem though (though you could possibly bend that metal clip a bit?), except to be careful when mounting and unmounting a cooler.

It's quite difficult removing the cooler from a PL-iP3/T as the capacitors are so close! It's definitely the tightest fitting cooler i've ever come across! I'll need to find a lower profile cooler at some point as i can't use all 3 RAM slots at the moment (now running 512MB RAM instead of 768MB).

I also just remembered i can use socket A (462) coolers with the Intel socket 370 😀.

Reply 9 of 30, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PowerPie5000 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:

They can. I made that mistake on a Dell GX150. I found the particular board was Tualatin compatible (not all of them are), but I used the original clip which had been intended for a Copppermine. It felt tight but I didn't think of why. The board was running fine sitting on my desk. 10 minutes later, "BOING!" the clip sailed through the air and clattered to the floor a few feet away. The socket hooks of course were broken off.

I've broken more socket 370 hooks than I care to remember. I hate how fragile and unforgiving they are.

Reply 10 of 30, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A 1U socket 370 heatsink will work as long as the dimensions work for the slotket.

I use a Thermalright HR05 SLI rigged up on a Slot T like what TELVM did. No DIMM slot blockage. The fan only needs to be on 5v to keep P3 1400 cool.

img4877he6.jpg

Reply 11 of 30, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shamino wrote:

They can. I made that mistake on a Dell GX150. I found the particular board was Tualatin compatible (not all of them are), but I used the original clip which had been intended for a Copppermine. It felt tight but I didn't think of why. The board was running fine sitting on my desk. 10 minutes later, "BOING!" the clip sailed through the air and clattered to the floor a few feet away. The socket hooks of course were broken off.

I've broken more socket 370 hooks than I care to remember. I hate how fragile and unforgiving they are.

It's the major reason why I prefer coolers which use all 3 notches instead of just the middle one.
So far, only 1 notch broken (and glued back 😁 ) and that was a Super 7 one.
Bending the metal clip a little is the best solution that I know of (except for finding dedicated Tualatin coolers, which seems impossible to do these days).

I prefer not to remove the heatspreader from FC-PGA2 chips, though that's definitely 'a' way to do it 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 30, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
It's the major reason why I prefer coolers which use all 3 notches instead of just the middle one. So far, only 1 notch broken ( […]
Show full quote

It's the major reason why I prefer coolers which use all 3 notches instead of just the middle one.
So far, only 1 notch broken (and glued back 😁 ) and that was a Super 7 one.
Bending the metal clip a little is the best solution that I know of (except for finding dedicated Tualatin coolers, which seems impossible to do these days).

I prefer not to remove the heatspreader from FC-PGA2 chips, though that's definitely 'a' way to do it 😁

I've never found a 3 notch clip that has reasonable tightness on a Tualatin 370. Did they actually make them? All the 3 hole clips I've had were apparently for socket-A, and were insanely tight on the 370. That said I did try one once on an already fubared board (that one was somebody else's fault, I swear!) and to my surprise it did not break the remaining tab off.
Bending a 3-hole socket-A clip to be less tight would probably be the way to go. I never had any trouble operating those.

Reply 14 of 30, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote:

Search for dynatron:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DYNATRON-1U-CPU-COO … =item27d0257158

6000rpm FTW! I don't need one but I might buy one just to hear it scream 🤣 .

The airflow on that thing is pretty crap considering it's running at an ear piercing 6000rpm! I'm actually looking at the 'Akasa AK-351-2' at the moment (http://www.akasa.co.uk/update.php?tpl=product … &model=AK-351-2)... It should do the job and the cheapest i can find is £14.95 delivered in the UK.

Reply 15 of 30, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I once got some pretty good low-profile socket 360 coolers from PC Power and Cooling - but they no longer sell that stuff 🙁

Eventually I went to Nexus AXP-3200 coolers on socket 370 - but those certainly are not low profile!

Reply 17 of 30, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know its a bit late; but Alpha has always been a HUGE oem heatsink maker. They made the LEGENDARY slot-a heatsinks for overclockers, and still make them for socket 5/7/370/462.

http://www.micforg.co.jp/en/cat_pfe.html#spec_pal

they cost a pretty penny, in fact I was cseriously considering buying this setup JUST for the heatsinks: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tyan-Thunder-LE-T-S25 … =item27b2fb80c7

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 18 of 30, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

I know its a bit late; but Alpha has always been a HUGE oem heatsink maker. They made the LEGENDARY slot-a heatsinks for overclockers, and still make them for socket 5/7/370/462.

http://www.micforg.co.jp/en/cat_pfe.html#spec_pal

they cost a pretty penny, in fact I was cseriously considering buying this setup JUST for the heatsinks: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tyan-Thunder-LE-T-S25 … =item27b2fb80c7

I bought a cheap Tyan S2668ANR just because it came with a pair of these.

21314_SI-9XV-NCA%20%283%29.jpg

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 19 of 30, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd recommend a Evercool copper 1U HSF (replace the loud fan though) but they are getting crazy in price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/EverCool-Low-Profile- … =item3f193a1e11

Like stated above a P3 1GHz @ 1.7v pulls about the same a P3-S 1400 @ 1.45v

P3 1000MHz
32.98 Watt (1.7V core)
35.35 Watt (1.75V core)

P3-S 14000MHz
21.46 Watt (Stop Grant state) / 31.2 Watt (CPUID 06B0h and 06B1h)
21.46 Watt (Stop Grant state) / 32.2 Watt (CPUID 06B4h)

Celeron 1400MHz
18 Watt (Deep sleep mode) / 33.9 Watt

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME