VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello Vogons Community, recently I decided to convert an old eMachines computer to be a DOS machine so I can experience pure DOS for the first time in my life. (A bit of a DOS noob here, was never fully introduced to it when I started learning about computing) So far things are running fine however, I am having some issues with Jazz Jackrabbit and Tyrian on the machine.

I installed the games and am fully aware of the tppatch that is needed for those games which I already applied, but no matter what I do, when I run those games it just resets my computer. Again, even after applying the tppatch to those games, running them just makes the computer reboot itself. Is there anyway to fix this issue?

Reply 1 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

try this: if you have AMIBIOS go to advanced settings and turn "MEMORY REMAPPING" to "OFF" , save/reboot and see if it helps...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 27, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

try this: if you have AMIBIOS go to advanced settings and turn "MEMORY REMAPPING" to "OFF" , save/reboot and see if it helps...

I have AMIBIOS, but I do not see that option in the BIOS menu at all unless I am missing something.

Reply 3 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

strange, the 386/486 boards I have here have this option... it actually fixed jazz on a 386DX40 and 486DX2 build I made...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 27, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

strange, the 386/486 boards I have here have this option... it actually fixed jazz on a 386DX40 and 486DX2 build I made...

Knowing my luck it is probably hidden somewhere that is obvious yet I didn't notice, probably also doesn't help that most of the hardware for this computer I am using was optimized for Windows for the most part.

Reply 6 of 27, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

or it's a stripped setup like OEM computers usually do.

Probably is though I can't be too sure. All I know is that for a Windows computer from 1999, it wasn't very good for Windows 9x gaming that required 3D acceleration. For DOS, at least when I played with DOS in Windows 98 it was a solid machine for that purpose.

Reply 7 of 27, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could try AMISETUP (search for amis2990.zip) to access hidden AMI BIOS settings. Don't know if this still works for a machine from 1999 but it doesn't hurt to try.

Reply 8 of 27, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
idspispopd wrote:

You could try AMISETUP (search for amis2990.zip) to access hidden AMI BIOS settings. Don't know if this still works for a machine from 1999 but it doesn't hurt to try.

My newbie-ness might be at hand here but I tried that and I can't seem to do anything because the program says that my BIOS is not compatible.

Reply 9 of 27, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi. First post here and a bump for an unresolved issue, it seems. I have the exact same problem with those two games. I tried TPPATCH and CTBPPAT to no avail as well as MoSlo. The Jazz Jackrabbit CD comes with shareware versions of Tyrian, One Must Fall, and Epic Pinball. The weird thing is that the latter two work fine. I can get Jazz and Tyrian to work if I start them up from Windows 98, but I'd rather start them up from DOS.

I am using a Toshiba Tecra 550CDT laptop. My BIOS doesn't have a memory remapping option either.

Reply 10 of 27, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Problem solved, I believe. The Tecra came loaded with 96MB of RAM, so I removed the 64MB expansion card. Jazz ran with MoSlo before patching, ran without it after using CTBPAT. Just doesn't play well with lots of memory, I guess.

Reply 11 of 27, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
boxpressed wrote:

Problem solved, I believe. The Tecra came loaded with 96MB of RAM, so I removed the 64MB expansion card. Jazz ran with MoSlo before patching, ran without it after using CTBPAT. Just doesn't play well with lots of memory, I guess.

I figured out my issue as well, but it requires me to nab a decent VGA card for the machine since the integrated ATI chip doesn't work well in pure DOS mode. I say that since Commander Keen fails to work right on there as well.

Reply 12 of 27, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SpooferJahk wrote:

the integrated ATI chip doesn't work well in pure DOS mode. I say that since Commander Keen fails to work right on there as well.

There have been many threads posted here in the past on getting Commander Keen (I assume you mean Keen 4-5-6) to behave; the performance of Keen seems to be a poor basis for assuming that the chip doesn't work well.

Reply 13 of 27, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
SpooferJahk wrote:

the integrated ATI chip doesn't work well in pure DOS mode. I say that since Commander Keen fails to work right on there as well.

There have been many threads posted here in the past on getting Commander Keen (I assume you mean Keen 4-5-6) to behave; the performance of Keen seems to be a poor basis for assuming that the chip doesn't work well.

Can you link me to said threads? I apologize if I came to a sudden conclusion but I haven't really worked on this DOS project since a month after creating this thread, and definitely going to get back to it much later when I can acquire a much better sound card as well since the SB16 clone I have has major compatibility issues alongside a few other things.

Reply 14 of 27, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpooferJahk wrote:

Can you link me to said threads?

search.php?keywords=Commander+Keen&terms=all& … 0&submit=Search

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 15 of 27, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know this is a old topic, but since I've been surprised by the same problem on one of my old machines I investigated it and found out that Tyrian/Tyrian 2000 seems to have this behavior when you hame EMM386 with NOEMS in your config.sys. Found that out with the selective startup (F8). This computer is on "pure" DOS 6.22, with no modified files. I'm going to try to use "newer" himem and emm386 as suggested on MDGX. Funny enough, it ran flawless on another of my old computer, but this one's running on DOS 7.1 (great job to whoever put it together, saved me lots of time).

Reply 16 of 27, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snayperskaya wrote:

I know this is a old topic, but since I've been surprised by the same problem on one of my old machines I investigated it and found out that Tyrian/Tyrian 2000 seems to have this behavior when you hame EMM386 with NOEMS in your config.sys. Found that out with the selective startup (F8). This computer is on "pure" DOS 6.22, with no modified files. I'm going to try to use "newer" himem and emm386 as suggested on MDGX. Funny enough, it ran flawless on another of my old computer, but this one's running on DOS 7.1 (great job to whoever put it together, saved me lots of time).

Been a while since I have tried to fix the issue, but my plan is to eventually get the parts to make the machine more DOS friendly in general. I need a better sound card and a proper VGA card to have working drivers for.

Reply 17 of 27, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you using DOS 6.x or 7.1? I'd give 7.1 a try if you didn't already. Comes with sound drivers for quite some cards, add-ons (such as Volkov Commander, although I like Norton's better, maybe because I used it for almost 10 years).

Reply 18 of 27, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snayperskaya wrote:

Are you using DOS 6.x or 7.1? I'd give 7.1 a try if you didn't already. Comes with sound drivers for quite some cards, add-ons (such as Volkov Commander, although I like Norton's better, maybe because I used it for almost 10 years).

DOS 6.22 actually, but again, going to try and give it better parts anyways. It really needs a better sound card since the one I am using is a pretty bad SB16 clone. Can't remember the name but it does not work right with some games I have so I am aiming to get an AWE32 card or an actual SB16 card.

Reply 19 of 27, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snayperskaya wrote:

I know this is a old topic, but since I've been surprised by the same problem on one of my old machines I investigated it and found out that Tyrian/Tyrian 2000 seems to have this behavior when you hame EMM386 with NOEMS in your config.sys.

Interesting and thank you for sharing. 😀 No less interesting follow-ups are:

1) What happens if you use EMM386 with different parameters (like RAM)?
2) Why would someone want to have EMM386 NOEMS in their configuration? Can EMS emulation really hurt anything? And if it can, and if you really don't need EMS, then perhaps it's better to use UMBPCI, the real-mode DOS UMB allocator.

Snayperskaya wrote:

I'd give 7.1 a try if you didn't already. Comes with sound drivers for quite some cards, add-ons (such as Volkov Commander, although I like Norton's better, maybe because I used it for almost 10 years).

I am quite confident no raw DOS 7.1 comes with any of these. You must have used some customized build where someone packaged these drivers/utilities.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys