VOGONS

First post, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And who doesn't, really? 😵

While playing around with Creative's "Dr. Sbaitso" program some months ago, I learned of its use of First Byte's "SmoothTalker" text-to-speech engine. Naturally, this sort of technology would have been jaw-droppingly awesome for gaming, right...?

Spider-Man and Captain America in Dr. Doom's Revenge
(Uses the same "version 3" engine as Dr. Sbaitso)

Zug's Dinosaur World
(Uses the "version 4" engine)

Zug's Race Through Space
(Uses the "version 4" engine)

So bad it's good... or something...

The last example showcases the technology well enough, in my opinion, with distinct "voices" for most of the characters, but honestly, the earlier stuff isn't horrible, which makes me wonder why this sort of usage wasn't more commonplace in the late 80's, where it really would have made sense.

Besides "Last Half of Darkness," and First Byte's two other "Zug" titles, is anyone aware of any other PC-based game titles that use First Byte's speech-synthesis engine?

Reply 1 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Kid Works 2. Windows 3.1 version used version 4 at 22khz, while Mac version used version 3. Kid Works Deluxe turned SmoothTalker up to eleven with multiple different voices.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 9, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My old friend Dr. Sbaitso.

I had a lot of fun with all the bits and pieces bundled with Creatives Sound Blaster drivers back in the day.
I'm sure over the years I've heard the Dr Sbaitso voice used on a number of programs, movies and TV programs.

The technology was simply amazing back when it was released..

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 3 of 9, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Kid Works 2. Windows 3.1 version used version 4 at 22khz, while Mac version used version 3. Kid Works Deluxe turned SmoothTalker up to eleven with multiple different voices.

Oh, excellent. Thank-you. 😀

It makes sense that Davidson software would use the technology, since First Byte was one of their acquisitions. I'll have to take a look at some of their other titles to see what else may use it.