VOGONS

First post, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey guys..

I decided to throw a 3com PCI NIC into my Time Machine so that I can transfer (using mTCP's FTP server) data between it and my Windows 8.1 box. I found a packet driver here with relative ease and it's loading as expected when called through autoexec.bat. However, it's only detecting at 10BaseT instead of 100Mbit. Anyone know of a way to force this on the client side, or have a way to check NIC Speed/Duplex through DOS? I know the packet driver is really bare bones, but I have a Gigabit Netgear WNDR3700 router and I'd at least like to be able to get 100Mbit between these machines.

q2zz.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 1 of 2, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think that 10BaseT is the correct term - it is twisted pair wiring whether it is 10 Mb/s or 100 Mb/s.

Note that you are not going to get full line speed (100 Mb/s) with a packet driver and DOS. Packet drivers don't do things like TCP checksum offload, and they require two interrupts for each packet received. It's not the greatest API. But it will be more than fast enough for any normal need.

Reply 2 of 2, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found a DOS utility to configure the card. After switching to 100Mbit, I now see this:

cn3p.jpg

I tried enabling Full-Duplex but it brought things to a halt. For now, the speed seems much better!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg