VOGONS

First post, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently got a Gateway 2000 EISA 486, which has a 33MHz chip soldered on the board, but it has an Intel Overdrive chip inserted. It has an SCSI controller (Looks like it also serves as a floppy disk drive controller as well.) connecting to two harddrives and a SCSI CDROM.

First retro computer I EVER had my hands on, that offers EISA and SCSI! So I am excited! I am at work, so I haven't tested anything yet, so right now I don't have any information. Will when I get home though.

The 386 system also has two harddrives, but these are IDE, and the CD-ROM plugs into the Sound Blaster 16 inside. Again, not tested, but it does have the barrel battery inside, which doesn't seem like it has leaked much, so I will have to take care of this quick, regardless.

I also got a box full of 5.25 inch floppy goodies, some system disks for the Gateway, and an original manual for the Gateway 2000!

So I'll report back when I get home, and get more pictures and test things.

So for now, here's a couple of pictures!

Both systems:
IMG_2743-800px.jpg

Inside over-head view of the Gateway:
IMG_2746-800px.jpg

Reply 2 of 18, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whoa! And gulp.
Hope you didnt have to cut a throat for those... Like a museum guard or something.
Kids can still go to university, right ? 😀

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 3 of 18, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haha, I don't have any kids so. 😜

Though the external battery pack for the Gateway is dead, so no CMOS settings, and I guess EISA settings need to be redone or something.

So for starters, do I need to tell the BIOS the harddrive sizes for SCSI and how do I know which Type I need? I can't really tell on the drives.

Also for some reason the HDD lamp is staying lit, and the CD-ROM won't open.

First time I messed with SCSI so I'm kinda clueless here, the harddrives sound fine, I don't hear clicking or anything abnormal. I'd like to get this to boot off the harddrive it has, and if anything backup the configurations and drivers, but of course... first step is getting the SCSI stuff going. 😦

I can boot of my Windows 95 boot disk, at least. 🤣

-Edit-

Never mind the CD-ROM, it's actually doesn't even have a CD tray, looks like a cartridge based type of CD rom. CD ROM Caddy, I think?

-edit 2-

Ah HA! I got passed the SCSI issue, it was due to me needing to run the EISA configuration utility which I had to download since the 5.25" disk that came with my system was kinda bad.

-Edit 3-

It lives! 😎

Reply 7 of 18, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PeterLI wrote:

Cool! You should install your MM-401 & hook up your MT-32 to the 386. 😀

Yeah that would be cool, I was thinking of testing the MM-401 with that or the Gateway. Only thing preventing me is the lack of a midi cable. 🤣

bristlehog wrote:

Is it a NEC SCSI caddy CD-ROM there?

Yeah, except I am missing the caddy. 🙁

With that said, the Image Advance may actually be some sort of 486, I think. I am not sure. It runs at a 66MHz speed according to the BIOS. IT didn't state anything obvious, but the BIOS looks pretty modern (like my Pentium systems)to be from the 386 Ara, I could be wrong but I definitely need to check to be sure! I may be needing to correct the thread title. 🤣

Back to the Gateway, it has a Tseng Labs ET4000 ISA video card in it. 32MB RAM, a 340MB Harddrive and a 500~MB Harddrive. Some sort of dialup modem and I/O card (Haven't checked to see if it is ISA or EISA).

I'm curious though, have there ever been any EISA video cards made?

Reply 8 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I *HATE* caddy loading CD ROM drives. I have a couple of Macs that use them, and tray loading/slot loading is much more convenient. No caddy to lose or break when it slips out of your hands and smashes against a hard floor. Without the caddy, the CD ROM drive is useless. I have about 50 caddies in a box here someplace that I collected over the years, but that's not the point. The point is what if you only have the one? Then you have to scrounge up another one someplace, if you even can (assuming I haven't bought them all up already 😜).

Reply 10 of 18, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice ReeseRiverson...It would be even nicer to get a matching Gateway 2000 monitor and keyboard from that era...icing on the cake.

BTW, the 386 case is a beauty...would look nicer with a matching light beige 3.5" FDD and matching drive bezel...the dark beige/grey is still cool though.

Reply 11 of 18, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is a similar CD drive, MediaVision branded but NEC manufactured. However, it is unclear whether it has caddy present.

If your drive has a 3-pin CD-audio out on it, you may buy yourself a PAS16 with proprietary cable. But you need the cable's part number to ensure it's for NEC drives (provided you really have NEC drive).

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 12 of 18, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pulled the motherboard out of the Image Advanced system, to pull the barrel battery out, fortunately it didn't seem to leak much onto the board itself, but the case told a different story. I cleaned them both up.

But this thing has an IBM CPU and a Cyrix FPU Co-Processor both onboard! 😦

IMG_2757-800px.jpg

retrofanatic wrote:

Very nice ReeseRiverson...It would be even nicer to get a matching Gateway 2000 monitor and keyboard from that era...icing on the cake.

BTW, the 386 case is a beauty...would look nicer with a matching light beige 3.5" FDD and matching drive bezel...the dark beige/grey is still cool though.

Thanks! Yeah, I will probably do that, sometime.

bristlehog wrote:

Here is a similar CD drive, MediaVision branded but NEC manufactured. However, it is unclear whether it has caddy present.

If your drive has a 3-pin CD-audio out on it, you may buy yourself a PAS16 with proprietary cable. But you need the cable's part number to ensure it's for NEC drives (provided you really have NEC drive).

Oh cool thanks! Definitely will be checking those out, or at least know what I will be looking for, now.

Reply 13 of 18, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The motherboard in the Gateway is likely a Micronics. High quality boards, but a horrible BIOS. If you install more than 16MB of RAM on most of their boards, you have to disable hardware BIOS shadowing.

http://webpages.charter.net/dperr/micronics/gw2k_faq.htm

Reply 15 of 18, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NJRoadfan wrote:

The motherboard in the Gateway is likely a Micronics. High quality boards, but a horrible BIOS. If you install more than 16MB of RAM on most of their boards, you have to disable hardware BIOS shadowing.

http://webpages.charter.net/dperr/micronics/gw2k_faq.htm

The Gateway system I have, has the BIOS Shadowing on with 32MB of RAM, and it seems to be just fine, so I guess it's safe to assume this is one of the boards that handle it?

PeterLI wrote:

Did I not include a MIDI cable? You can easily pick one up cheap @ Sam Ash for example. Or any random musical instruments store for that matter. 😀

No midi cable was with it. Only close store that would have one (I think) may be Radio Shack.

Okay, so for the time being I'll be using an IDE CD-ROM drive until I can get a hold of caddy for my SCSI drive or another SCSI drive... I got my SoundBlaster 16 CT2830 audio card in. It was fun on its own to find drivers for ( 🤣 not really. ), but thankfully the Vogons driver database that had all the SB drivers, had the system file I needed. Which was SBIDE.SYS. I'm quite happy with this success, I had been trying to figure this thing out for a long time, and glad I succeeded finally!

Reply 16 of 18, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, so I worked on the memory management for the Gateway2000, and here are the results!

I think I freed up as much as I could, but I'm sure someone here knows how to do even more on freeing conventional memory. 🤣

Though I am happy with this:
Gateway2000-Memory.jpg

So here's what the specs are so far:

Intel Overdrive 100MHz
32MB of RAM.
Tseng Labs ET4000 ISA video card. (I don't know how much VRAM it has, but I will take a guess of at least 1MB worth.)
Adaptec 1742 SCSI EISA controller with FDD controller built on.
340MB Maxtor SCSI HDD
544MB Fujitsu SCSI HDD.
SoundBlaster 16 CT2830 audio card with IDE CD-ROM port.
3Com Etherlink III network card.

Here's System Info:
Gateway2000_SysinfoCPUSpeed.jpg

3D Bench2:
Gateway2000_3DBench2.jpg

Reply 17 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are these taken with your new PCIe capture card?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel