VOGONS

486 GA-5486AL Motherboard issues.

Topic actions

First post, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I've almost completed my 486 dx4-100 build but I have 2 issues which i need help with.

1) when I power on the computer the main boot up screen loads up and then just stops. Do doubt waiting for me to enter the bios to set everything up. This would normally not be an issue for me but my keyboard does not get power at all so I'm unable to enter the bios. I've tried 2 known working AT keyboards but neither get power. No led lights...nothing!

2) when I press the reset button the computer commences it's reset cycle but then the monitor stays black. If I power off the computer and then power it on again it goes back to the main boot up screen mentioned above.

I have a third issue regarding the front turbo display but I'd rather work through these 2 issues first before I continue onto that.

As the titles states, I'm using a Gigabyte GA-5486AL motherboard.

Further specs are below:

Intel 486 DX4-100
Diamond S3 Trio64 V+ PCI
Intel Pro GT 1000 NIC PCI
Sound Blaster Pro 2 CT1600
Roland MPU-401/AT
Roland SCD-10 (SCB-7) Daughterboard
512mb WD HD
3.2GB Quantum HD
Sony CD-Rom Drive
Panasonic 1.2mb Floppy Drive
Panasonic 1.44mb Floppy Drive

No controller cards on board as everything is directly connected to the motherboard.

Reply 1 of 22, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can only tell, before iam building my systems, i check the parts on working before i go building a whole new system. I cant really trust these old parts. Mostly there is always something wrong with it..
Maybe there might something wrong on the DIN keyboard connector. I had also a board here that had the same sympthomes, but actually the connector was wear out.. Everything in this connector was just loose.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3 of 22, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@133mhz, I know this may sound dumb but I've never had to do this before. Regarding the keyboard fuse that is. If it is burnt out or faulty. How do I replace it or fix it? I'm not with the computer to look at present but at least I'll know what to look for when I am with the computer again tomorrow.

Reply 5 of 22, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
borgie83 wrote:

Regarding the keyboard fuse that is. If it is burnt out or faulty. How do I replace it or fix it?

Ideally you should replace it with a fuse of the same current rating (or even better, a modern self-resettable polyswitch).
In practice I don't bother and just jump over it with a piece of wire, like I did with this 486 board:
OfY6Ll.jpg
The fuse was in the spot marked F1 and looked somewhat like a resistor without color bands.
If you have a multimeter you can test continuity across the fuse to tell if it's good. If not (or if you're lazy like me) just hook an alligator clip lead to both sides of the fuse (as a temporary bypass) and see if the keyboard lights up.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 6 of 22, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@133mhz, thanks for that. I will test it out tomorrow with my multimeter. Looks simple enough to replace. I just hope the fuse is my issue as it's an awesome motherboard so would be pretty annoyed if the motherboard is on its way out.

Reply 7 of 22, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, so I used the multimeter and tested the fuse. Appears to be fine. Just to confirm though to make sure I tested it correctly, I set the multimeter to sound and then placed the negative+positive probes onto both sides of the fuse to test it's continuity and it beeped and gave a reading.

What's next people?

Reply 8 of 22, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
borgie83 wrote:

@Robin4, what did you do to fix your connector? Resolder?

I had desolderd the old one, and replaced it with one of my dead boards.( that i know it was a working one.)
Some 486 boards came with a very cheap DIN connector. Its just worns out over years. Then it doesnt make good connection with the board. (that because the din connector is falling appart)
I know these DIN connectors are mostly very stressed when putting in an keyboard connector in on the long period (in and out, in and out ect)

Thats why the board is hanging on boot.. I think it cant find the keyboard anymore, so it hangs till it detects the keyboard again.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 9 of 22, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, so I gave the connector a blow out with some compressed air and tried it again. Keyboard led's light up for a second on boot but then turn off again so there is obviously some communication between the board and the keyboard. Could my issue lay anywhere else besides the actual connector?

Reply 10 of 22, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm going to bump my own thread as I originally gave up on this motherboard after purchasing an Asus PVI-486SP3 as a replacement. I'm now about to purchase another case so I'm wanting to use this board again.

Questions; Did I do the below correctly?

borgie83 wrote:

Ok, so I used the multimeter and tested the fuse. Appears to be fine. Just to confirm though to make sure I tested it correctly, I set the multimeter to sound and then placed the negative+positive probes onto both sides of the fuse to test it's continuity and it beeped and gave a reading.

What's next people?

What does this mean assuming you've read the rest of this thread?

borgie83 wrote:

Ok, so I gave the connector a blow out with some compressed air and tried it again. Keyboard led's light up for a second on boot but then turn off again so there is obviously some communication between the board and the keyboard. Could my issue lay anywhere else besides the actual connector?

Reply 11 of 22, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) Sounds fine to me
2) The lights flash when the keyboard receives power. This means that the keyboard is probably okay and that there is connection to power cirquit of the PC. I have done an experiment with Mitsumi Classic as a kid by connecting 2 CR2032 batteries to +5V and GND pins of PS/2 connector. The lights flashed as if I was turning on the computer.

Reply 12 of 22, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

1) Sounds fine to me
2) The lights flash when the keyboard receives power. This means that the keyboard is probably okay and that there is connection to power cirquit of the PC. I have done an experiment with Mitsumi Classic as a kid by connecting 2 CR2032 batteries to +5V and GND pins of PS/2 connector. The lights flashed as if I was turning on the computer.

So if the fuse and keyboard are ok then would the issue be the keyboard connector? Anything else that could cause this issue?

Reply 13 of 22, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds like a leaking battery that ate some traces that routes to the KB connector or oxidized some pins of the MB BIOS chip (if it's really that you should better take care of that battery ASAP and clean that mess). You can check all the KB connector traces with a multimeter and find where it's cut if it is.

Reply 14 of 22, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darksheer wrote:

Sounds like a leaking battery that ate some traces that routes to the KB connector or oxidized some pins of the MB BIOS chip (if it's really that you should better take care of that battery ASAP and clean that mess). You can check all the KB connector traces with a multimeter and find where it's cut if it is.

Well, I battery was already removed when I purchased this board and the seller said he tested it and that it was working fine. I will definetly test the traces tomorrow but until then, here are a few pics of the board with close ups of the keyboard connector (frontside and backside), fuse and where the battery once laid rest.

Attachments

• Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    2.75 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    2.21 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.02 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.79 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license

Reply 15 of 22, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like the ghost of the dead and buried CR2032 has attempted to take the motherboard with it... I don't see any damage other than that. btw, if you think the board is helpless, do not throw away the cache!!!

Reply 16 of 22, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
borgie83 wrote:
darksheer wrote:

Well, I battery was already removed when I purchased this board and the seller said he tested it and that it was working fine. I will definetly test the traces tomorrow but until then, here are a few pics of the board with close ups of the keyboard connector (frontside and backside), fuse and where the battery once laid rest.

Apply some white vinegar on the area showed in the last pic and brush (a toothbrush is effective) damaged traces and oxidized BIOS socket contacts (remove the chip and make sure that the pins are not oxidized too) that will remove battery acid, clean the traces and contacts... it will greatly help you to find defects.

Reply 17 of 22, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

Looks like the ghost of the dead and buried CR2032 has attempted to take the motherboard with it... I don't see any damage other than that. btw, if you think the board is helpless, do not throw away the cache!!!

Haha yeah, looking at the first pic it looks REALLY bad but as you can see from the last pic, it's just the lighting. The tracks look a bit damaged though where the acid used to be. In your opinion, how do these tracks look to you? Oh, and if I couldn't save this board I definetly would be salvaging the parts.

@Darksheer, will do!

Reply 18 of 22, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just checked the tracks around where the battery used to be and all of them are fine. Also checked the fuse again which is fine. Removed the Bios chip and it had no corrosion or any damage to the pins at all. Very clean. The only thing I can think of is the keyboard connector itself. The connector is giving a reading on the multimeter though.

Any suggestions from here?

Reply 19 of 22, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have a question about this motherboard..
i cant see a header for ps2 mouse
but the manual mentions an IRQ reserved for PS2 mouse
is there anyone who uses this mobo that has a ps2 mouse working with it?

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP