VOGONS

Chrome Stops support for Non-SSE2 Processors

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i was getting this message in some old pcs "This computer will soon stop receiving Google Chrome updates because its hardware is no longer supported"

i been doing some research and it turns out that starting with Chrome 35 there's not gonna be support for Socket A, Pentium III and older Processors, wich leads to some weird situations were i cant run it with a Athlon XP 3200+ but yes with a piece of sh** Celeron 1.7Ghz. 😒

Reply 4 of 12, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I'm not shocked or surprised. Firefox quit supporting non-SSE2 CPUs a while ago.

It is probably more like 'crippled' performance rather than totally non-supported in case of Firefox. Firefox 28.0 is definitely running on my P3.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 5 of 12, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I was downloading LAV Filters for my HTPC the other day (fantastic software btw) I noticed this interesting bit in the changelog:

Fixed: Decoding DTS audio on a CPU without SSE2 support could crash on some streams

SSE2 appears to be used at least to a certain extent by most programs now.

FF28 was running fine on my P3, too. I wouldn't be surprised if the next version (the one with the major interface overhaul) drops support for older processors. Doesn't really matter to me; I've disconnected my older rigs from the Internet since MS dropped XP support.

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 9 of 12, by erpster-xg4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I'm not shocked or surprised. Firefox quit supporting non-SSE2 CPUs a while ago.

wrong. The latest versions of Firefox can still run on non-SSE2 processors including Intel Pentium 3 and Socket A based AMD processors.

leileilol wrote:

Huh. I thought it required SSE2 when it first came out ages back.

Mozilla hasn't dropped SSE2 support for Firefox yet. Read this:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/995280

Reply 10 of 12, by nerd73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
erpster-xg4 wrote:
wrong. The latest versions of Firefox can still run on non-SSE2 processors including Intel Pentium 3 and Socket A based AMD pro […]
Show full quote
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

wrong. The latest versions of Firefox can still run on non-SSE2 processors including Intel Pentium 3 and Socket A based AMD processors.

leileilol wrote:

Huh. I thought it required SSE2 when it first came out ages back.

Mozilla hasn't dropped SSE2 support for Firefox yet. Read this:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/995280

Sometimes I wonder if the latest FF runs on a 486. I know 2.x runs, although performance suffers greatly.

Reply 11 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

There will always be unofficial builds, right?

Yes, but you don't get the same level of support or security updates like you do with a more mainstream release because unofficial builds are usually done by a handful of people working from home in their spare time. They don't have the same level of resources to invest in it.

Reply 12 of 12, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but now, Firefox dropped non SSE2 CPU as well

Firefox drops support for Non-SSE2 Processors

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems