VOGONS

First post, by wpowers02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I bought an ISA Yamaha card off ebay not too long ago. It runs fine, but I attached my DB60XG clone daughterboard to this card with an IDE cable because the daughtercard prevents the sound card from being installed in any slot because it is too big. However the computer it's installed in will not power up at all with the daughterboard hooked up. I'm not sure if the ide cable is a bad idea or not.

Reply 1 of 5, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You probably wired it the wrong way around, and now you've got a short-circuit between +12V, -12V, 5V and ground 😉
Double-check the pinout, pin 1 is marked by an arrow on DB60XG and a square on ATC-6631.

Reply 2 of 5, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Reversed alignment = a very good chance for a fried daughterboard 🙁

Look at this thread for some cheaper garage-tech solutions:

Re: Daughter board ribbon cable for sound cards.

If money is no concern, you can buy something like this (probably for your new daughterboard) :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raspberry-Pi-GPIO-ext … =item25922846df

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 3 of 5, by wpowers02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I think the daughterboard was damaged before I even tried it on the yamaha board. One of the surface mount caps has a bad solder connection and some of the others don't look that great either. The yamaha sound card is awesome for dos games tho. I just need to look out for another daughterboard.

Reply 4 of 5, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you read to the answers above? An IDE cable won't work, and it's the cause of the machine to not booting, NOT a bad DB.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 5, by wpowers02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I realized that. I removed the cable and now that machine boots up fine, and the yamaha card works good too. I've ended up buying a used Roland SC-55 off ebay to satisfy my General MIDI requirements. A Roland SC-55 combined with the yamaha ISA card should pretty much cover just about any sound need for DOS.