VOGONS

memtest86 that works for 486

Topic actions

First post, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a 486 which I'm wondering if has memory issues. I don't have any 32 pin spare RAM to test with, and I've already tried to just swap them to see if that helps.

I tried "MemTest86 Version 4.3.7 (OLD RELEASE)", it reboots the system when I try to boot the floppy.

If I use the single stepping feature which appears to have some breakpoints inserted into the code and makes me confirm each step, I get to step:

"0 429 BarrAddr ..." and then the next step causes an immediate reboot.

I'm installing FreeDOS by floppy and CD now, and so far there has been no issues. It also boots FreeDOS from floppy disk without issues. This makes me believe that this issue with memtest86 is not related to an actual hardware problem but probably an old mainboard with some quirks and maybe a BIOS with some bugs.

What version of memtest86 have you guys had the most success with on 486s and other old systems? Are there any alternatives to memtest that are better suited for old systems?

Reply 1 of 21, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried Memtest86+ (with the plus sign)?

There's a DOS version of Memtest86+, too. If you're able to boot into DOS, you could try running the exe from there.
It's no longer available for the latest version, but older versions are still online: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso (get the "Pre-Compiled EXE file")

Reply 2 of 21, by fractal5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jwt27 wrote:

Have you tried Memtest86+ (with the plus sign)?

There's a DOS version of Memtest86+, too. If you're able to boot into DOS, you could try running the exe from there.
It's no longer available for the latest version, but older versions are still online: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso (get the "Pre-Compiled EXE file")

Thanks. Version 2.00 appears to work ("Memtest86+ v2.00").

Reply 5 of 21, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had the same problems.
Use 4.00.

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 6 of 21, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
MemTest86+ 4.10 did work, but not Memtest86+ 4.20
I guess they've made a change to use Pentium timers in 4.20.

https://www.memtest.org
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Stamp_Counter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Precision_Event_Timer

Reply 7 of 21, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have been using Memtest86+ 4.10 with 386 and newer hardware without problems.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 9 of 21, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I expect you guys know that 4.20 introduces "failsafe mode", but also there was at least one version of 4.20 that was buggy. The one that shipped with Ubuntu 12.10 LiveISO was false-positive happy. I don't know how it was limited to that release of 4.20, or if it actually extended further.

Just mentioning that in case you haven't tested newer, or just a new-ish download of 4.20. My 486 isn't set up, and I don't remember the vers I last used.

Reply 10 of 21, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

memtest86+ saved me so much trouble and builds trust from customers. Better one to catch bad memory than any software I found even the microsoft's memory tests passed it which is not good thing.

While ago, I had an customer with notebook that would boot and go BSOD, thinking either bad hard drive or software. I knew better and got memtest86+ on usb and booted with which promptly detected one bad memory module out of two and replaced it with exact match when special order came in. Fixed perfectly.

Cheers, pentiumspeed

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 11 of 21, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been using Memtest86+ v2.11. I'm not sure how I got hold of this particular version, and it does seem to have a bug that causes it to consider a pass completed at around 120%. But that's a superficial flaw, and other than that it works with every computer I've tried it on. Might be time to go ahead and update though. 😀

Reply 12 of 21, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

Any benefit of 4.10 over 4.00? I've never tried 4.10.

After reading through the change logs...
I don't think any past v2.11 add anything new that would help with pre-DDR2 vintage equipment's.
v4.00 and up seem to only add things for DDR2 equipment and newer so for retro I don't see any benefit in using 4.10 over 4.00.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 13 of 21, by holoprox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Strange?
4.10 is so new that it can NOT tell if my ram is EDO or FPM?
It does not know what my chipset, cache... NOthing is.

486 LuckyStar MoBo with 4*8MB FPM?

Attachments

• 486LS-mystery.jpg
    Filename
    486LS-mystery.jpg
    File size
    126.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 486LS.jpg
    Filename
    486LS.jpg
    File size
    226.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by holoprox on 2021-08-18, 06:50. Edited 1 time in total.

100+ retro computers on board!
50+ flightsticks!

Reply 15 of 21, by holoprox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2021-08-18, 06:43:

Could be the opposite that it's so old it doesn't know. Unless another version worked for you. I doubt it matters as long as it works. nice necro btw.

Thanx, i also attached some photos in the previous post.

100+ retro computers on board!
50+ flightsticks!

Reply 16 of 21, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
holoprox wrote on 2021-08-18, 06:40:
Strange? 4.10 is so new that it can NOT tell if my ram is EDO or FPM? It does not know what my chipset, cache... NOthing is. […]
Show full quote

Strange?
4.10 is so new that it can NOT tell if my ram is EDO or FPM?
It does not know what my chipset, cache... NOthing is.

486 LuckyStar MoBo with 4*8MB FPM?

Detecting the type of memory depends on the chipset. Reading chipset configuration is a feature memtest got around Pentium III time, if I remember correctly, so around 2000. No one cared about implementing getting configuration from old 486 chipsets at that time, so the feature is just not implemented. One reason for this is that for many chipsets of that time, datasheets are publicly not available, although IIRC your LS board uses a SiS 496/497 chipset which has a publicly available datasheet.

The cache size is determined by doing timing measurement, I think. memtest doesn't implement any classic timing methods, but relies on the cycle counter (time stamp counter) that is only provided from Pentium onwards, so you won't get cache size and performance data on 486 class computers.

Reply 17 of 21, by marbury

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pretty old topic but let's pull it up. Does anybody have a working floppy image that can test the ram on my FIC PIO-2 with a dx4 which they can provide? So far I did not find any working memtest. ctramtest complains that it cannot detect my host bridge and exits, memtest86 just reboots and memtest86+ in either 4.0 or 2.x are iso's only and too large to convert them to a floppy image.

DOS Gaming: Biostar 8433UUD, AMD 5x86 P-75@150MHz, 64MB Ram, ViRGE 3D/DX 4MB, Aztech MM Pro 16ABI, Dos 6.22, Win 3.11
Windows gaming: Chaintech CT-5AGM2, AMD K6-2+/570ACZ@600MHz, 384MB Ram, Voodoo 3 AGP, SoundBlaster Vibra 16, Win 98

Reply 18 of 21, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
marbury wrote on 2023-03-02, 12:22:

Pretty old topic but let's pull it up. Does anybody have a working floppy image that can test the ram on my FIC PIO-2 with a dx4 which they can provide? So far I did not find any working memtest. ctramtest complains that it cannot detect my host bridge and exits, memtest86 just reboots and memtest86+ in either 4.0 or 2.x are iso's only and too large to convert them to a floppy image.

Memtest86+ runs on a 386 up until v4.10. You can find a nice collection of all floppy versions in this thread: Memtest86+ old versions

Reply 19 of 21, by marbury

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2023-03-02, 12:55:

Memtest86+ runs on a 386 up until v4.10. You can find a nice collection of all floppy versions in this thread: Memtest86+ old versions

Will try them out. Thanks.

DOS Gaming: Biostar 8433UUD, AMD 5x86 P-75@150MHz, 64MB Ram, ViRGE 3D/DX 4MB, Aztech MM Pro 16ABI, Dos 6.22, Win 3.11
Windows gaming: Chaintech CT-5AGM2, AMD K6-2+/570ACZ@600MHz, 384MB Ram, Voodoo 3 AGP, SoundBlaster Vibra 16, Win 98