VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have more computer hardware than I have computer cases, and taking apart and putting together cases is tiring. It's sort of a zen task, but makes testing small changes take way longer than they need to.

And that's when you just stack things on an empty motherboard box, and pile it all on a table.

Does anybody have a fancy test bench or bench case? Or a cheap one they can recommend? I'm having a hard time finding a good/cheap one, but I like the idea of having some basics (PSU, optical drive) always in place.

Reply 1 of 19, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use a cooler master one, cost about £45 :

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master- … desktop-w-o-psu

It is quite basic but sturdy, a little fiddly if you have to keep swapping psus and hdds, or if you want 2 fdds in there as well, but quick for motherboards and cards. It's compact and square too so packs away nicely, and is easy to find a site for when in use too.

Reply 2 of 19, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use motherboard or other boxes.

I wouldn't mind having something that allows putting the drives underneath, like most proper test benches, but I find them all a bit too expensive to be honest.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 19, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looking at the 4 motherboards, 2 graphics cards, ~30 RAM sticks and 1 PSU sitting on the table besides me, makes me realize that I "may" have a similar problem. 🤣

The CoolerMaster one that ratfink posted seems cool and relatively cheap. Another one that I found is the Lian-Li T60, however that's about twice the asking price. It does look pretty awesome though!

Reply 4 of 19, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a cardbox from some Toshiba laptop. The FDD and DVD just fit in the box one on another. Motherboard is on top and PSU is outside so I can switch between AT/ATX. But some proper cheap test bench would be nice. But I rather spend money on some components than on any case.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 5 of 19, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a test bench case made from an old case - it has I/O shield and MB mounts but PSU and disks still sit loose. I only use it for systems with heavy cards, like 7950GX2, because those tend to sag/flex in the slot otherwise. For lighter stuff I'm just straight on a granite table with an MB bag to protect the table from scratches.

Reply 6 of 19, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a case with a slide-out mainboard tray, which would make a great test platform. But that case works very well as is.

I couldn't find that Cooler Master case for sale anywhere in the US. I did see that Lian Li case, which looks gorgeous. But it seems huge, and costs $80-100 USD. Yikes. For that money I could almost buy that G3 PowerMac I've always wanted.

Reply 7 of 19, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A case with power supply on its side, a hardcover book on top of it, that's it!..🤣

BS80g7.jpg

Last edited by tayyare on 2014-11-08, 22:40. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 8 of 19, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doesn't take much to make one yourself, does it?

a few pieces of wood for the legs and a little shelf at the size of an full size atx board. then a few nails through the shelf (points upwards) at the places where the screw holes of the boards are.
That way the board can't fall off and is easy to lift off.

Legs should be long enough to fit a psu and drives underneath (or permanently fix them).

Sould be doable within an hour?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 9 of 19, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It would be fun to make my own. In my experience though homemade wooden things are bulky, heavy, and kinda rough. I built a toothbrush holder once that was nigh-unusable.

I live in an apartment though, so I don't have access to good woodworking tools or space.

Reply 10 of 19, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just put a sheet of cardboard on the desk and lay the motherboard on that, with the expansion cards hanging off the side. 2 power supplies are sandwiched next to each other with outputs facing opposite directions, optical and floppy drives on top, and a KVM hanging there somewhere. It's a big stack of junk with lots of wires. There's usually no hard drive. Usually if I'm installing an OS with a hard drive I'll take the time to put it in a case.

I never paid attention enough to realize they sell chassis designed for this type of thing. I think I'm too cheap to spend money on them, but it might be cleaner that way.

Reply 11 of 19, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Uuugh I bit the bullet and ordered one of those Lian Li cases. It was on sale on Newegg, and I was already ordering some MX-2 and a HSF, and I really wanted it...

I have no excuse. I was weak.

Reply 12 of 19, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

Doesn't take much to make one yourself, does it?

I like that idea but I guess many don't have access to a workshop, tools and skill to do this 😊

Reply 13 of 19, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Holy mother of... pearl.

That shipped quickly. It took me about 2 hours to finish putting the case together and slotting some components in there. The Newegg reviews are not lying about the complexity of the build; the instructions are garbage (low quality pictures, can't tell orientation of parts, or type of screws to use), I had to measure the screws with a ruler to tell them apart.

Once the thing is done, it looks pretty good BUT: it doesn't include front USB and audio headers. That's a ~$25 dollar option. Bringing the total for the case up even more unreasonably high. And the 80-100 MSRP is already pretty high given the function of the case. Mostly you're paying for materials; the black aluminum looks great and clean.

It also doesn't route cables well. Or at all. I didn't expect it to have much in the way of cable management, but power supply cables cover up one of the 5.25" drive slots (so much for a second optical drive), and at least in my case, IDE ribbons cover up the other one. You'd also probably need an extra long set of IDE cables in order to use more than one IDE HDD on the same channel, and I had to streeeeetch the IDE cable to the ODD over the side of the CPU HSF.

Oh, and the last big negative: IT'S NOT A TEST BENCH! It's a classy way to display a system. Probably big with the Litecoin miners. It is next to impossible to swap out the ODD (you'd have to remove the whole motherboard, which is LESS convenient than any kind of tower or desktop case). The hard drive caddy is kind of quick release, but the drives are not toolless, so there's more time spent screwing.

That's still not a deal breaker to me, since I planned to build a one size fits all mainboard system that can swap in different expansion cards and CPUs. Lucky me, since those are the only two components that will ever come out again after being put in. 😉 And that's my review of the Lian Li "Pitstop" T60 case. 2 out of 5 stars. Anybody want some pics of the thing?

Reply 14 of 19, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the honest feedback!

I remember my neighbour having purchased a test bench but I don't remember the type / model.

Reply 16 of 19, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had my eye on it already, actually. It was the case that inspired the topic.

Here's what it looks like with some spare parts slotted in.
1gxrj1sl.jpg
Compact, lightweight, seems durable. But where's the practicality, Lian Li? Where is it?!

Reply 17 of 19, by jxhicks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I too was recently looking at some of these testbench cases, but decided to make my own. I used one of those old drawer style media cases and some screw in standoffs. I need to add something for cable management, but otherwise it works pretty well. Not bad for $3.
30hU7wx.jpg
MV0OXuv.jpg

Reply 18 of 19, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks good! And it matches your custom hand-made Sim City case. 😀

Repurposing a small shelf or drawer could be a good way to go about it. It'd be extra cool to have plastic standoff pegs with one normal one so you can quickly lock it down.

Last edited by AidanExamineer on 2014-11-13, 01:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 19, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also use a Lian Li Pitstop T60.
However for older AT form factor test setups I have a simple wooden table from ikea, which can be folded.
(similar to ASKHOLMEN)

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool