VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Installed Hexen II + the Portal of Praevus expansion pack from the original discs and updated Hexen II with the latest 1.11 patch but I'm having some problems.

Firstly, changing the resolution to any resolution always results in a black screen forcing me to have to reboot the pc. This occurs regardless of if I choose a resolution in windowed or full screen mode.

Secondly, if I leave the resolution at its default, the game starts up and plays fine but upon exit the dreaded black screen occurs again.

Originally I tried GLHexen which doesn't start up at all so these problems are occurring with the standard Hexen II install.

I'm using a TI4600 with the 45.23 drivers and DirectX 8.1. Don't want to mess about with drivers as this game is the only one of many that is giving me issues. OS is Windows 98SE.

Reply 2 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

-bpp 32? And for the normal H2 exe.... -dibonly? Delete Opengl32.dll from Hexen2 folder (as it installs a 3dfx MiniGL by default)?

You could also try using the Scitech GLdirect DLL in Hxeen2 to get around legacy GL issues with early games.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 7, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, GLHexen installs 3dfx minigl to the game folder, so you must delete it (opengl32.dll) to use system opengl.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 7, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filipetolhuizen wrote:

Try the Hammer of Thyrion port just to see if the same errors happen.

Hammer of Thyrion works a treat. No issues with gameplay or crashing etc.

Do you know if there's a way to get the intro movie to play without the disc being inserted? Hammer of Thyrion doesn't require the discs for Hexen II or the expansion pack to play which is great but the intro movie is the only thing missing as far as I can tell.

Edit: Thanks guys! Deleting the opengl32.dll file allowed GL Hexen to start. Didn't fix the black screen issue though but thanks to Hammer of Thyrion the black screens as I mentioned above are gone.

Reply 5 of 7, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hexen II software rendering is way too buggy. Hammer of Thyrion fixed most of it. But the best part is the new GL Hexen II, which allows more resolutions and they're changeable while in game.

Reply 6 of 7, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

-bpp 32? And for the normal H2 exe.... -dibonly? Delete Opengl32.dll from Hexen2 folder (as it installs a 3dfx MiniGL by default)?

You could also try using the Scitech GLdirect DLL in Hxeen2 to get around legacy GL issues with early games.

What does the "-dibonly" switch do exactly?

Reply 7 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doesn't use DirectX and just Windows GDI functions to paint the window. In fullscreen this may be faster than DirectDraw on NT-based systems since it reads from system memory for the video buffer to process the lookup tables (and Hexen II uses a considerable amount of lookup tables)

apsosig.png
long live PCem