VOGONS

First post, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd like to run Tie Fighter (first CD edition with iMuse) with all the sound options, and a joystick - what's the best way to run it natively? I have an S3 Virge DX for SVGA graphics, an AWE32 for digital sound, and an MT32 connected to the AWE32 for MIDI. I also have a USB T16000M, but that's such an arse to get running in DOS I think it's better to get an old analogue stick and go native. I'd prefer not to use DOSBox.

Question is : what's the best way to control Tie Fighter and get it all working with sound? The cable on the AWE32 has a female gameport port and MIDI in and out 5 pin DINs (originally from an SB Pro!). I can see from the specs that this should work with both a joystick and MIDI, but MIDI out appears to share pins with ground for joystick buttons 3 and 4 - is that a problem?

If I get a Force Feedback Pro, will it work with MIDI at the same time, and how much advantage will Tie Fighter take of it? Is there a better control method?

I also have a spare SB16, a low end PCI soundcard complete with gameport, an SB LIVE and a couple of other nameless soundcards. There's two free slots on my motherboard - one PCI/ISA, and one PCI (currently with a NIC in it, but I could cope with a USB NIC).

Cheers

Reply 1 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TIE Fighter sounds best with General Midi, like a Roland Sound Canvas.
It can probably support the 1MB GM set of the AWE32 ROM natively, and without issues.
But if one simultaneously uses both the MPU-401 + digitized sound of the AWE; you will experience annoying delays in this game. Same goes for the SB16. Their MPU interface has buffering problems with this particular game.

As for the joystick: I just use an analog Quickshot Joystick. The same model that I used 15 years ago. (Surely not the ultimate solution.)

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2 of 6, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm currently playing TIE Fighter with the use of my ESS audiodrive and on-board usb. I use a Saitek X36 that has both gameport and usb. The Saitek through USB works for me in Windows. I have no problems or slowdowns with that config. In Dos, I can't use the Saitek through gameport because TIE Fighter doesn't understand the mode select buttons on the joystick and it causes the axes to jitter wildly. TIE Fighter CD has the disadvantage of not having configurable button setup. It will only take advantage of the first few buttons of any modern joystick and they can't be reassigned natively. For the Dos version of this game a simple 4 button joystick is all that's needed, there's no appreciable advantage to a more modern one, other than perhaps usb if you want to utilize that.

For your setup, the fact that the cable shares a ground shouldn't matter. If it doesn't work, I'd probably just use a spare sound card with a gameport to free up your AWE32.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 3 of 6, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks both,

Nekurahoka, that's in Windows 98 I presume?

I'll try with USB first and see how it goes. I tried it before, but it wasn't ntirely happy for some reason but I've yet to rebuild it on my mid range retro box. I have an SC55 for MIDI as well as an MT32.

If USB doesn't work I'll try the gameport on a PCI soundcard, it's just an I/O port so should work I hope..

Reply 4 of 6, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do have to give a specific warning due to the mention of the MS SideWinder Force-Feedback Pro: that stick uses a digital gameport interface, without the analog emulation modes the 3D Pro had, and it uses the MIDI pins as part of its digital interface.

You'll want an analog gameport interface stick with a throttle that can emulate keystrokes in bands and any extra buttons beyond the basic four gameport buttons assigned via keyboard emulation. My suggestion would be a TM F-22 Pro or F-16 FLCS paired with a WCS or F-16 TQS, if you can find them for a reasonable price.

Reply 5 of 6, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, that's in Windows 98SE.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator