VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just curious... Does anyone know the last version of Yamaha S-YXG50 that was released?

I ask because I was doing a little clean-up and found my old CD-ROM and CoA's for v2.0. I've also seen updaters that will update your software to v3.x or v4.x, but not always from reputable sources. Being wary of trojans/malware I figured I should probably ask the greater vogonosphere if anyone knew the definitive, last release versions.

Reply 1 of 5, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

From what I know and have read:

For Win9x/ME - 3.11.78 (there is a version 4.01.29 but it's in Japanese only)

For NT4 - 3.01.23

For Win2k/WinXP - 4.21.07 WDM

I found this info here. Just scroll down almost to the end of the webpage. There's also this old thread here at VOGONS that could be useful.

Hope this helps 😀

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 2 of 5, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

For Win9x/ME - 3.11.78 (there is a version 4.01.29 but it's in Japanese only)

Interestingly enough, the CoA read v2.0... but after installing it on my Win98SE box, the installer and the about box reads v3.13.06.

JayCeeBee64 wrote:

Hope this helps 😀

It does, thanks!

The S-YXG50 sounds great too. I had totally forgotten that I even had it. Playing the descent intro, I can't tell any difference between the soft synthesizer and my DB50XG.

The fact that you can point your MIDI mapper to it and have any Windows game use it is the cherry on top. Yamaha really made a winner with their soft synth. WAY better than the original Virtual Sound Canvas.

Reply 3 of 5, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
QBiN wrote:

Interestingly enough, the CoA read v2.0... but after installing it on my Win98SE box, the installer and the about box reads v3.13.06.

Looks like you got a bundled version. Is the CD from Asus by any chance?

The S-YXG50 sounds great too. I had totally forgotten that I even had it. Playing the descent intro, I can't tell any difference between the soft synthesizer and my DB50XG.

The fact that you can point your MIDI mapper to it and have any Windows game use it is the cherry on top. Yamaha really made a winner with their soft synth. WAY better than the original Virtual Sound Canvas.

Agreed. I also have the Roland VSC-55 and VSC-88H3; they're both inferior to the S-YXG50 and S-YXG100 Plus IMHO (the Roland softsynths have instrument samples that sound way off). Too bad Yamaha discontinued support of their softsynths.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 4 of 5, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

Looks like you got a bundled version. Is the CD from Asus by any chance?

Yes. It came with an old Asus K7V motherboard. The motherboard is long gone, but I knew to hang onto the bundled CD just for the S-YXG50 installer.

Reply 5 of 5, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Apparently some Asus motherboards include the S-YXG50 installer as part of their software bundle. My uncle purchased a CUSL2 mobo back in 2001 for his next PC build, and the CD had the same version as the one from your K7V. He sold it in 2006, but kept a copy of the CD and CoA 😊 . A number of ISA and PCI sound cards also have the S-YXG50 installer, but they tend to be older versions - I have a Phillips Seismic Edge PCI card that has version 3.10 included in the CD.

Ooohh, the pain......