VOGONS

First post, by Constantin493

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello people, i just found this incredible forum and i would like to ask a question.

I would like to know what is the max supported ram for this motherboard GA-6VXE7+ (rev. 3.0). I found at Gigabyte's site that is 1,5GB, but i read somewhere that actually is 768MB.
Does anyone really know?

Thank you very much 😀 !

Reply 1 of 13, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It wouldn't hurt it to put in 512mb just to see.

*Edit*

http://ee.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/ga-6v … _plus_30/specs/

ver. 3 supports 512mb ram. so yes.

Ayy LMAO

Reply 2 of 13, by Constantin493

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem is that i dont have 3X512MB to try but i have to buy it instead.

Also do you know where can i find information about the compartible hardware that can i add ? I tried at the internet but i didnt find somethig useful.

Thank you for your reply and sorry for my late answer 😀

Reply 3 of 13, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even the official manual for Rev. 1.0 says you have 3 DIMM slots and each can use up to a 512MB module so I have no reason to doubt that. VIA 693A can support that amount of RAM (in theory even more with 4 DIMM slots or registered RAM).
But this would only matter when running XP. 98SE is probably a better choice.

As for compatible hardware: The board has 2 ISA slots which is nice, especially for sound cards. 5 PCI slots so you can basically use any PCI cards (not PCI-E). There can be issues between VIA chipsets and Sound Blaster Live! cards you may want to avoid those, but those issues can supposedly be worked around.
The AGP slot should be 3.3V only so some later AGP cards won't work (but those shouldn't fit in the slot anyway). See http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html for details. For performance reasons there is probably no need to get such a card, earlier cards should be fast enough.
For the CPU all socketed Pentium-IIIs and Celerons (Socket 370) except Tualatin (only 1GHz and up) should work.

Do you have more specific questions about the compatible hardware?

Reply 4 of 13, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://ee.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/ga-6v … us_30/download/

Here is all the drivers for the board. If you go into bios, it says that bios version FA from 03/21/01 supports coppermine cpus with D stepping. But not any tualatin cpu's.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu … p.aspx?pid=2410

And here is a cpu support chart for ver.1 of the same board. Still no support for taulatins. But coppermines are still just as powerful. Your board can overclock up to 150 mhz on the fsb. the only thing that taulatins have against coppermines are 512kb cache.

Ayy LMAO

Reply 6 of 13, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are looking to max out the ram at 1.5gb Windows 2000 Pro is a great option for an operating system as an alternative to XP since Windows 9x is tricky to get working properly with over 512mb of ram. 2K is much lighter than XP in my experience.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 7 of 13, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It definitely supports 1.5GB RAM (512 x 3). I have two of these boards, one is at the moment in use. According to my experience:

- With 1GB memory installed, W95 wants something less than 512 MB, and W98 wants something less 1GB. It can be easily achieved with some "sys.ini" adjustments ("MaxPhysPage" and "MaxFileCache" variables), so you can have 1GB for your Windows 2000 or XP, while tricking W9x to believe there is something less, in a multiboot system.

- With 1.5GB memory installed, W95 and W98 both starts crashing (or completely refusing to boot) even with the same tricks mentioned above.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 8 of 13, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dropcik wrote:

Here is all the drivers for the board. If you go into bios, it says that bios version FA from 03/21/01 supports coppermine cpus with D stepping. But not any tualatin cpu's.
And here is a cpu support chart for ver.1 of the same board. Still no support for taulatins. But coppermines are still just as powerful. Your board can overclock up to 150 mhz on the fsb. the only thing that taulatins have against coppermines are 512kb cache.

Well, the board has a 693A so I wouldn't expect it to support Tualatins. You'd need a 694T for that.
Maybe it would still work with a modded Tualation, some people do that here with 440BX boards. I probably wouldn't bother.

As for XP/w2k: With that amount of RAM XP should be fine, w2k makes sense with less RAM and/or slower CPU, but with a Coppermine and lots of RAM I don't see the need to use w2k. Of course it should run fine, just make sure that all software/games/drivers work with w2k.

Reply 9 of 13, by Constantin493

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all for your time, one more question for you all.

I have one more problem, the problem is that i have an gigabyte 6200 graphics card (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page … spx?pid=2446#ov) and i dont why the motherboard cant post. Practically i dont have any response expect for the cpu fan spinning for 3 seconds and then stops. Furthermore i dont if my PSU is enough to carry these components.

The rig contains.

M/B : GA-6VXE7+ (rev. 3.0)
CPU : P3 Intel at 800MHz ( i dont remember furthermore information )
RAM : 144MB SDRAM
HDDs : 2 but they are not connected for the test
PSU : 250W

I can try 350W PSU but if you have any idea is much appreciated

Reply 10 of 13, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After it runs for 3 seconds and stops, will it start up again? Or do you have to unplug/replug the PSU at that point?
If the latter, then the PSU is going into it's overload protection.

If the PSU is any good then I don't think it should have a problem with those components.

Does this only happen with that video card? I wonder if it's a problem of AGP voltage compatibility. If the board and card are keyed correctly then this shouldn't be a problem, but sometimes things aren't keyed correctly.

Reply 11 of 13, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think the 6200 would cause trouble with the power supply, at least not at boot. A Geforce 6200 doesn't use much power, especially at boot when it's not rendering yet. Compare eg. here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/1506/4
I think it's more likely that your card's connector is wrongly keyed and it does only support 1.5V.

You should probably use nothing later than a Geforce FX, compatibility to older 3D games is better with those anyway.

Which OS and what games do you plan to run? That might be useful to know to make suggestions.

Reply 12 of 13, by Constantin493

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have to unplug the cable and then try again. The PSU is not faulty because i have operated with hardware less powerful than this i stated. I am not actually planning to play any game there, i am just trying to revive this computer with spare parts. Also i have a lightweight (custom) version of windows XP. I have tried to operate the motherboard without the gpu but the same thing happens ( cpu fan starts for 3 seconds approximately and then stops ). At Saturday i will try a more powerful PSU and i will tell you if i had any luck.