VOGONS

First post, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Like the title - has anyone tried it, had success or failure with it, or otherwise have an opinion about it?

I'm waiting on what should be a proper mate for my 12MB V2, and I've been thinking about putting them in a Windows XP box since I can't honestly come up with a serious need for them to support Direct3D nor have any of my handful of Glide games given me trouble in XP in the past. So it seemed like it may be a more reasonable idea to consolidate everything together, and just have Glide support as another option on that one box.

I've had good luck with the V2 in Win2k, but haven't tried XP with it. It seems like XP runs better on my "prime candidate machine" (Asus PC-DL Deluxe with dual Xeon 3.06GHz) - when I've tried 2k it just isn't as responsive. I think it's the lack of HyperThreading support (I didn't investigate things too thoroughly though, so if anyone has an opinion on that, I'd also welcome it).

A somewhat related question: I've read of the Voodoo2 getting "hot" with faster CPUs, but how significant of a problem is this for a case with good airflow, and exactly how fast of a CPU is a bad idea?

And note that I'm not really opposed to putting them in a Win98 machine - that's where the single V2 has been for a while now. I just rarely ever boot up 9x boxes, and was thinking it would be nice to consolidate everything into the single XP system.

Reply 1 of 16, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, about "Voodoo2 and CPU speed" - I use a single Voodoo2 with P4 3.2E. W2k 1.02.00 drivers work in WinXpSp3 but almost all W9x drivers not work ("expected Voodoo^2, none detected"). Only 3.02.02 and 3.03.00 work w/o downclocking. IIRC all other versions of w9x drivers work if I downclock this CPU to 106 MHz FSB (1696 MHz).
I don't have a second Voodoo2 so can't test unfortunately. Maybe later.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 2 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Regarding temperatures, I looked into this when I did a paper on V2 and SLI CPU scaling:

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/voodoo-2-and- … ng-project.html

I never tried Windows XP though. But I did find that the Pentium III-S is close to the ideal platform. Going with a Pentium 4, it took very high clock speeds to match the Pentium III-S.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gamecollector wrote:

Well, about "Voodoo2 and CPU speed" - I use a single Voodoo2 with P4 3.2E. W2k 1.02.00 drivers work in WinXpSp3 but almost all W9x drivers not work ("expected Voodoo^2, none detected"). Only 3.02.02 and 3.03.00 work w/o downclocking. IIRC all other versions of w9x drivers work if I downclock this CPU to 106 MHz FSB (1696 MHz).
I don't have a second Voodoo2 so can't test unfortunately. Maybe later.

Welp, I'll have to give the W2k drivers a shot then, and see what I can see. Good to know they should work just for one card at least though. 😊 If installing the 9x drivers, like 3.03, does that actually enable D3d support? Or is it still Glide/GL only? Any quirks to having a 9x driver loaded?

On the downclocking, is it the FSB or the CPU clock that's a problem do you think? My Xeons run at 533FSB (133*4), and I have a Willamette with 400FSB (100*4) too. Both will be clocked higher than 1700MHz though. 😊

philscomputerlab wrote:

Regarding temperatures, I looked into this when I did a paper on V2 and SLI CPU scaling:

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/voodoo-2-and- … ng-project.html

I never tried Windows XP though. But I did find that the Pentium III-S is close to the ideal platform. Going with a Pentium 4, it took very high clock speeds to match the Pentium III-S.

I remembered you had done this, but didn't know you had tried a Pentium 4. Thanks for the info. I would expect P4 to need relatively higher clocks to keep up with a III-S. I'm guessing that at 3GHz I should be at least leveling off with the III-S, if not beating it; I hope. 🤣

For your temperature tests - that's done with a faster P3, right?

Reply 4 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes. For these old cards I do recommend some sort of cooling. For V2, there are passive coolers on eBay. Just glue them onto the three chips and you are done.

Alternative, a 120 mm fan on top of both cards, does the trick. But might not be that easy to mount and will likely be a custom solution.

If you're worried about temperature, there is an easy solution. Enable V-sync to keep frame rates in check. That will keep the V2 a bit cooler.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 16, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another good cooling solution is to place them in a sack, fill it with cement and throw them off a bridge into running water.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 6 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

Yes. For these old cards I do recommend some sort of cooling. For V2, there are passive coolers on eBay. Just glue them onto the three chips and you are done.

Alternative, a 120 mm fan on top of both cards, does the trick. But might not be that easy to mount and will likely be a custom solution.

If you're worried about temperature, there is an easy solution. Enable V-sync to keep frame rates in check. That will keep the V2 a bit cooler.

The case I'm using has a "vent" over the expansion card area, and I could probably rig a fan up there (I've done this on the past on other cases at least). I'll have to give that a look though. Alternately, I have another case that actually has a built-in fan mount over the expansion cards - it worked very well with 7950GX2 QuadSLI (which is only like what? 10x the power consumption?), so I assume it'd work for Voodoo2 SLI... 🤣

And yes, I would probably enable v-sync just as a force of habit. I saw that in your measurements too, and I've seen it reduce temps on other cards in the past as well. 😀

Reply 7 of 16, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

Welp, I'll have to give the W2k drivers a shot then, and see what I can see. Good to know they should work just for one card at least though.

Don't forget to set all 3 Voodoo2 services (fxgpio, fxptl and ntremap) to the system level. W2k display drivers are core level drivers so they fail in WinXp if the standard level is used.

If installing the 9x drivers, like 3.03, does that actually enable D3d support? Or is it still Glide/GL only? Any quirks to having a 9x driver loaded?

Yes, Win98+DX 9.0c, dxdiag find Voodoo2 as the second dx device. IIRC d3d7 test works ok, d3d8 and d3d9 aren't supported. I will recheck this info.

On the downclocking, is it the FSB or the CPU clock that's a problem do you think? My Xeons run at 533FSB (133*4), and I have a Willamette with 400FSB (100*4) too. Both will be clocked higher than 1700MHz though.

Not sure. I have tested Northwood 2.6C with the same setup. Old W9x Voodoo2 drivers fails with the 155+ MHz FSB (2015+ MHz CPU). So it looks like both factors can break old Voodoo2 drivers.
Then again, w9x 3.03.00, 3.02.02 and w2k 1.02.00 drivers work w/o any downclocking. Maybe even a C2D/Nehalem/Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge speed is supported...

Reply 8 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Alright, just an update - I got the second card in the mail recently, and had some time to put everything together tonight. Both cards show in XP Pro, and install just as they would in 2k Pro. I was able to get an old 3dfx Glide demo working right off the CD, but haven't tried much in the way of games yet. Overall everything seems to work about as well as I've seen the Voodoo2 run in 2k Pro - I've had one crash of the 3dfx control panel, but logging out and back in again cleared it.

Gamecollector wrote:

Don't forget to set all 3 Voodoo2 services (fxgpio, fxptl and ntremap) to the system level. W2k display drivers are core level drivers so they fail in WinXp if the standard level is used.

Can you elaborate more on this?

Reply 9 of 16, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices, select Non-PnP devices.
Voodoo2 Memory Mapper, Voodoo2 PCI Port I/O.
Doubleclick on each, Driver/Autorun type - set it to "System".
Or you can use this .reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\fxgpio]
"Start"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\fxptl]
"Start"=dword:00000001

Voodoo2 W2k driver CAN work w/o this but fails.

Reply 10 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What do you mean by "fails"? I'm not unfamiliar with what you're suggesting to do (but thank you for providing details anyways 😀 ), I'm just not following why you're suggesting it. Thus far the Win2k driver has worked just fine (as it does in 2k), and the cards have been detected and run fine in the few games/applications I've tested them with. Is there some "gotcha" lurking around the corner here? Or is this in the realm of "this may be a problem you encounter and if so, here's the fix"?

Reply 11 of 16, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

What do you mean by "fails"?

"Genport I/O error" and "Memmap error".
If you get one of these messages at the OS loading - use the .reg above.

Reply 12 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gamecollector wrote:
obobskivich wrote:

What do you mean by "fails"?

I see. I've experienced neither, but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks. 😀

Reply 13 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just an update - I swapped around multiple nVidia cards in this system and they all worked, but when I swapped to an ATi card the machine hard-locks on start-up once Catalyst and the 3dfx drivers are installed. It appears there's an issue with Catalyst <-> 3dfx (with one or the other removed it was working, and with neither installed it boots but ofc there's limited graphics options). I'll be re-imaging the machine and going back to an nVidia card of some sort.

Reply 14 of 16, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few tips for the voodoo 2 SLI:

1. Official 3dfx driver for win 9x only works well on slower CPU (PIII @ 600 MHz and below should be fine, I'm quite sure of that). IIRC there are serious problems with K7 CPUs, so I recommend not using 3dfx WHQL driver on Athlon platform.

2. Quantum 3D based Voodoo2 - Obsidian2 X-24, Obsidian2 200 SBi, Obsidian2 S-12. Chrontel TV-OUT encoder runs very hot (more than 60°C) when using normal V2 driver. Official Q3D driver doesn't suffer from this problem... so it is probably better to stick with that one to keep the card cool and safe. Unfortunately the Q3D driver does not work on K7 either, just like the original V2 driver.

3. For windows 9x the FastVoodoo2 4.6 has proven to be fast, stable and reliable, works on most CPUs - at least up to Athlon XP 2 GHz and P4 3 GHz. For win XP FastVoodoo2 4.0 XP is the best in my opinion. I had no problems running V2 SLI on A64 3000+ with VIA K8T800 board and Radeon X800 XT PE as a primary GPU.

4. There might be problems with random glide lockups in win98 (not sure about XP). This is most likely caused by directx 9c. All versions up to 9b (included) are safe and stable, I haven't tested the early builds od 9c - some of them may be fine... but I guess 9b should be more than enough for V2 SLI PC.

5. Some chipsets might not work well with V2 SLI. The most problematic ones are nForce4 and supposedly nForce3. Maybe newer pci-e nForce chipsets as well. Personally I tried V2 SLI on NF4 SLI board and it didn't run at all. Not sure about the other ones. All Intel chipsets up to P35 (included) are fine, I haven't tried more recent ones. I guess noone will use V2 SLI in modern PC.

6. Cooling - unless running V2 in Pentium MMX or something like that, I strongly suggest to use some cooling fan pointing towards the cards. V2 SLI can run very hot (especially in newer boards) and even lockup or artifact. Cooling should prevent these problems and even increase the V2 lifespan. Passive heatsinks won't do much good without some airflow, so there is not much point in installing them. Decent airflow is sufficient.

Btw - link to a nice 3dfx help page http://helppage.3dfx.sk/#SLI

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 16 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gamecollector wrote:

Finally, after two-dozen some odd successful boots, running multiple 3D applications, etc I get genport error. 🤣