VOGONS

First post, by Axiom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello good people. I am currently trying to get the old game A Town With No Name to have audio. Specifically, the voices do not play when the game is running. I have read that it is listed as broken with Dosbox, but I have also seen on the forums where people talk about the game being runnable under some circumstances and that the filename in some way affects whether or not it can run. I am referring to this topic...

Re: Psycho killer doesn't run!

My question is how to do this for A Town With No name, as I do not understand the directions outlined by one of the people who responded in that thread.

"Filenames are clipped to 8.3 in current source, but only for IMGMOUNT; the issue remains for MOUNT. The Psycho Killer disc has a couple of audio tracks, so to get the game running and hear the CD audio, mount a CUE/BIN image in a recent SVN build of DOSBox."

Thank you for your time.

Reply 3 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Follow the 60-seconds guide in the guides section of the forum for setting up games in general. However, as I mentioned, TWNN needs an SVN build of DOSBox and an image of the cdrom in BIN/CUE format, do you have both of those things?

Reply 4 of 5, by Axiom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just have DOSBox, I do not know what the SVN is... 😒

The game I have right now does not appear to have a BIN/CUE, it is a CCD, IMG, and SUB file in the folder. I guess I will need to try and find a different version then.

Reply 5 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You can read about SVN builds of DOSBox here: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/SVN_Builds
I suggest using a vanilla SVN build, but other recent SVN builds probably have the patch needed by TWNN, so it's up to you.

You have a CloneCD descriptor file (CCD), and the audio tracks will not work in DOSBox with that, you need a cuesheet file (CUE). Actually, I think CloneCD creates a CUE file along with the CCD file, or it has the option to make a CUE file, so be sure you create a CUE file when imaging your cdrom.