VOGONS

First post, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I keep reading that a Voodoo Banshee can meet or exceed a Voodoo II in performance in some games. does anyone know which games these may be? also does the Banshee take advantage of the AGP bus at all? would two voodoo II's in SLI beat a Banshee in those games that a Banshee would beat a single Voodoo II?

Reply 1 of 13, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

-Banshee doesn't take advantage of agp bus.
-Banshee better then single voodoo 2 in games that don't use multitexturing.
-Voodoo 2 better then banshee in games that use multitexturing.
-2 voodoo 2 in sli vastly superior to banshee.

Reply 2 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

-Banshee has more texture memory, which can reduce stuttering compared to Voodoo2 in some games.
-Banshee has more resolution flexibility.
-Banshee can do 3D in a window.
-Banshee has excellent VGA and GUI acceleration.

Reply 3 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Generally, in single texture games the Banshee is faster because it has higher clocks. By the time the Banshee came out, though, multi textured games had taken over so the V2 would be faster because it could handle more textures per pass even though it was clocked slower.

Unless you need one to complete a 3dfx collection, I'd get a V3 over a Banshee.

Reply 4 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And a Voodoo3 is an improved/finished Banshee 😀

Banshee was also relatively cheap and available with many OEMs too. I would easily take it over a Rage Pro, and it definitely was no Rush disaster.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 13, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

And a Voodoo3 is an improved/finished Banshee 😀

doesn't it still have a compatibility edge over the V3 in early glide games? I picked one up for about a $1 a few weeks ago and I'm looking for a reason to use it. thinking of swapping out the virge/V1 combo in my Pentium 133 system with the Banshee.

Reply 7 of 13, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I my benchmarks the Voodoo II will outperform the Banshee in Half-Life, Unreal and Quake III, but the Banshee is faster with the racing game Dethkarz.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 8 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Banshee has 2D core and can do higher resolutions compared to voodoo2.

It is clocked only 10mhz higher but strangely enough in a lot of benchmarks it is much faster than 10% compared to v2. Is there any other difference that causes this?

In my benchmarks on multiple systems (cpu's from k6-2 to p3-1000mhz) Banshee is quicker in 3dmark99max and a game called N.I.C.E 2 (aka Breakneck 2)

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 9 of 13, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Banshee is kinda cool, but I much prefer a Voodoo 3. Performance faster than Voodoo 2 SLI with a single V3 3000 😀.
I believe the Banshee and V3 share the same 2D quirks with some SVGA games (having to use VESAFix for some games etc).

Reply 10 of 13, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Banshee is perfect for Socket-7 systems 😀. With Voodoo 3 + Socket-7 I always have a feeling things could be even better if only...

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 11 of 13, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

It is clocked only 10mhz higher but strangely enough in a lot of benchmarks it is much faster than 10% compared to v2. Is there any other difference that causes this?

Such differences were not disclosed, like was usual with any 3d companies. Since Banshee introduced unified memory, I would guess they made improvements around memory controller that had to be new. More/bigger caches, fast Z clear with SGRAM, and so on. Faster triangle setup should also be tempting for them.

Reply 13 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes that could be possible. I think it is just strange that no hardwaresite even mentioned it as the banshee is sometimes over 30 percent quicker vs voodoo2 (in their own benchmarks).
All they talked about is that it was a nice budget card and because of the lack of one chip it wasn't as fast as a v2 in multi texturing....

I guess the world was all about Quake(2) back then 🤣

As always: i agree on the v3. It is still the best purchase for any retro system that has to support glide. Great availability, great support and low prices.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1