VOGONS

First post, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys. I have a couple of machines w/o any integrated controllers - namely a 386 25MHz by Morse and an unidentified 486 motherboard with a 33Mhz DX cpu. The only Serial/Parallel/IDE controllers I have are a ISA card with an ACER chip and a VLB card with a Goldstar chip. I found documentation for the latter on Google, but none of the systems have VLB slots (the 486 is ISA only) and I doubt the card would work on a ISA slot.

Now to the point:

IMG_20150518_225330.jpg
Filename
IMG_20150518_225330.jpg
File size
2.67 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20150518_225339.jpg
Filename
IMG_20150518_225339.jpg
File size
2.5 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I need jumper settings for this thing^^ - there were no jumpers on it when I took it out of storage, and all I can find online is similar boards with the same chipset but different jumper arrangements and numbering... I tried different arrangements but could not get any machine to post with it in...

Can anyone help? It's the only controller I have on ISA, and these things are very hard to come by over here...

All machines I tried it in won't post - they just make a buzz then stop then buzz again and so on - like for ram only lower pitch and not as often...

Reply 1 of 6, by darksheer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is not this much jumpers... just set them all on the 1-2 position and use "msd" under MS-DOS to know what IRQ-DMA's and functions it activates/desactivates. 😀
You'll just need to shut down computer for each changes and tries. 😵
From the look of the card the last jumpers (on the right) will likely be for LPT IRQ 5/7 and its activation and before should be the COM1/COM2 SWAP and DMA's.
The firsts of this block (at the left) should be FDD/HDD enable/disable and IO ports selection.
J0 and J3 could be IDE LED or JOYSTICK enable/disable.

That can also be fasle assumption but I already found myself jumpers settings for at least 3 IDE controller including one with twice this number of jumpers only with trials and errors (yeah that was a pain 🤣 )
Finding some jumper settings that are almost or at the same place on differents multi IO cards on stason.org can be a nice help too.

Good luck 😎

Reply 2 of 6, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried exactly that, but the computer won't post. I believe setting everything to 1-2 or 2-3 causes a resource conflict witch prevents the machine from posting.

J0 is the IDE led (I traced it to the IDE interface) and J3 is probably gameport on/off

Reply 4 of 6, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I managed to find the card online after days of searching, but still no jumper settings...

http://www.computer-retro.de/Bilder/Multi-IO/ … ti-IO-Karte.jpg - I think this is it: MIO-IV-A VIP-1184000

Reply 6 of 6, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Blurredman wrote:

The problem with all the generic cards of this era is the poor documentation. 😠

Yeah... would it have killed them to label the jumpers on the PCB? In any case, by randomly pulling jumpers I've only been able to enable the FDD and Parallel port witch I don't need...