VOGONS

3dfx and 3D Glasses

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 57, by tgod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you look at the official H3D glasses they're powered by an AC adapter. However, all the newer sync doubler vga boxes are powered completely by the VGA port. The problem is I think some older cards don't provide power over vga like voodoo 2. I remember mine including an adapter that would connect to the PS2 port for power for these old cards, but such a thing is missing from that ebay auction.

Reply 42 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the Voodoo 3 works then it might just work, but that's hard to say unless someone else out there can test it and see.

if it doesn't work oh well... I can still always use it on my Geforce cards and in DOS.

Reply 43 of 57, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

eDimensional driver disc

Let me know when you dl it, it's on my dropbox & I'm low on space. This could probably also go on VogonsDrivers if someone who has write access there wants to up it.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 46 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got my Simuleyes today. It does work about as well as I expected it to with the games supplied with it. The one thing I find very odd is that ROTT has no music in stereo mode! 🙁 This is even mentioned in the manual, unfortunately.

I did some further research and found some of the older utilities like LCDBIOS, SIMBIOS, QLCD and friends. However, I've never been able to get quake 1 to work under DOS with these utilities. Some odd modes will show up in the video menu and if you select them it will show the white sync lines on the bottom but they never alternate. Not sure if someone else out there ever got it working right.

Another interesting tidbit is that it can work fine without the batteries. The manual mentions some monitors may be able to self power it. If batteries are used the shutters get a little darker, I suppose to help alleviate potential ghosting effects. The ghosting effects aren't too bad on it. About the same as compared to SMS 3D glasses.

There's also a mention of a Wolf3D patch, but I have been unable to find it.

I guess Heretic, Duke3D and the other games require something else to work with it?

Last edited by Maraakate on 2015-10-13, 17:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 47 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

The SimulEyes are going to be a serial port link, not sure if the drivers you want to use are going to support that (they work with a ton of DOS games and early-VR stuff though! Very fun setup.) You probably need the eDimensional VGA box as well. The SimulEyes glasses will plug into the eDimensional box and work fine.

I'd happily swap you my complete-in-package eDimensional setup for the SimulEyes if you'd rather. 😉 (PM me / hit me up on VCF or Pouet as Vogons frowns on trading.)

Sort-of relevant to this thread - I just picked up an Oculus Rift DK1 for dirt cheap. Of course no computer I own can run the Oculus drivers...

Mentioning that the SimulEyes is actually a VGA pass through, not a serial port.

Reply 48 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are pictures of the PCB:

P1180856.JPG
Filename
P1180856.JPG
File size
989.6 KiB
Views
File comment
SimulEyes Front PCB
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
P1180857.JPG
Filename
P1180857.JPG
File size
1008.9 KiB
Views
File comment
SimulEyes Back PCB
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The IC appears to be a small custom SGC0502 IC. Complete Markings: SGC0502 K04A-7A 9643

R1: Brown-Black-Brown-Gold
R2: Brown-Black-Brown-Gold
R3: Brown-Black-Brown-Gold
R4: (Hard to make out looks like Yellow-Brown-Red-Gold)
R5: Brown-Black-Red-Gold

C1: 638 RAX
C2: 640 RJJ
C3: 104 E5M (ESM?)
C4: 1uF 50v

If anyone needs more pictures of it and want to attempt making one let me know.

Reply 49 of 57, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Maraakate wrote:

Mentioning that the SimulEyes is actually a VGA pass through, not a serial port.

I stand corrected! LCDBios is the same driver I use for the serial port setup - I guess it supports both modes & I was just making assumptions. Thanks for the writeup & detail in the other thread, really cool piece of gear! (Please take some more pics of the box & everyhting else in it when you get the chance! 😀

Is the special ROTT EXE the full registered? If so what version?

A lot of games seemingly work with LCDBios, you might have luck with some that don't even explicitly support the SimulEyes. Incidentally I got my Oculus Rift working. I would love to have an LCDBios->Rift wrapper but I don't know if that's very feasible. 😉 (The Rift just plugs into a DVI port so theoretically it could display from any DOS machine with a DVI card!)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 50 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is registered as far as I can tell. I haven't checked the version yet. But the code to use any kind of VR goggles has been stripped from the official source code release. It may have been a special version that SimulEyes made.

Once I find out what version it was I can try to make some sort of patch. Any recommended utilities around here for that?

Also, one of the pack in games, In Pursuit of Greed is pretty cool. It's based on an id engine between wolf3d and doom. The 3D effect works very well in it. The first episode is kind of blah (mostly warehouse looking levels) but the later levels in the outdoors and water look really cool and are much more fun. The cooler part was the source was released a few months ago!

I tried LCDBios with Duke3D, but the method it outputs is incompatible. I have not been able to get Quake 1 to work despite even looking over the source code for the qlcd utility. Dunno what to say there, was kind of hoping to check that one out.

I haven't tried whiplash or the other games yet, but the glasses have surpassed my expectations... hope to get that breakout box listed here sometime soon and then check out the OpenGL stuff! Pretty cool that the tech back then was fairly decent for it; at least for the goggles anyways. From what I understand most of the helmets sucked as LCDs were still expensive at the time.

Reply 51 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, thanks for the SimulEyes recommendation. Even though it's not all that compatible the glasses are nice and it works well for it's purpose. Kind of gave me some faith in the 3D glasses stuff.

Reply 52 of 57, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Maraakate wrote:

It is registered as far as I can tell. I haven't checked the version yet. But the code to use any kind of VR goggles has been stripped from the official source code release. It may have been a special version that SimulEyes made.

Once I find out what version it was I can try to make some sort of patch. Any recommended utilities around here for that?

Cool, would love to check it out. But yeah, the music is one of the best things about ROTT.

Also, one of the pack in games, In Pursuit of Greed is pretty cool. It's based on an id engine between wolf3d and doom. The 3D effect works very well in it. The first episode is kind of blah (mostly warehouse looking levels) but the later levels in the outdoors and water look really cool and are much more fun. The cooler part was the source was released a few months ago!

Never got too far into the game (because it's hard and I suck), but it has one of my favourite soundtracks of the era - by Necros! Song0.s3m and Song2.s3m ("Escape" and "Particle Control") are fantastic, and of course Intro.s3m is the famous tune Point of Departure. Quality stuff.

I have the full game on my DOS machine already - didn't realize it supports 3D. Going to have to give it another try.

Reply 53 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greed only supports simuleyes. I looked at the source and it relies on the SDK by simuleyes so unless your device can emulate that protocol it won't work for you it appears. But, let me know if it works for you on something else. Just type go15 (make sure cap is off, original code has case sensitivity with cheats) and check out how that map looks.

ROTT is v1.3 registered. In theory, the only difference should be the rott.exe and the addition of the SDK driver. As such, when someone can recommend a patching utility I will post such a patch here to keep in compliant with anti-piracy rules. It appears to be rare-ish as I've never seen it, not even on apogees site.

Also, I like Song4.s3m the best. But, hey, you mentioned pouet earlier so you must be a fellow GUSTAR! Hell, I'm pumpin' that GUS out of Moby's GUS MAX 😁

Reply 54 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
Cool, would love to check it out. But yeah, the music is one of the best things about ROTT. […]
Show full quote
Maraakate wrote:

Cool, would love to check it out. But yeah, the music is one of the best things about ROTT.

Never got too far into the game (because it's hard and I suck), but it has one of my favourite soundtracks of the era - by Necros! Song0.s3m and Song2.s3m ("Escape" and "Particle Control") are fantastic, and of course Intro.s3m is the famous tune Point of Departure. Quality stuff.

I have the full game on my DOS machine already - didn't realize it supports 3D. Going to have to give it another try.

I've played through most of the entire game. You really must use the automap and pay attention to switches on walls and backtrack to locked gates, etc. after becoming adept with that the game is quite fun. I've been poking a bit at the source code to give it some AWSD controls and little touches here and there. I was noticing some extra songs were playing that I never heard, but then realized there's more than one song in each of the s3m's. Song2.s3m's second song in there is really damn good. The source code shows it at pattern 83. I normally use opencp so I'm not sure how to enter it to go specific patterns, but it was easy to find the song in xmplay.

EDIT: Figured out how to do it in opencp.

Reply 55 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update: I got that 3rd party boxed linked earlier in the thread and it does work just fine with Nvidia Stereo Driver and Sega Master System 3D Glasses.

I haven't been able to get it to work on a Voodoo 5 5500 with the eDimensional drivers. Usually, the screen would stay grey after I hit the key combo to enable the 3D mode. Once I realized the driver settings in 3DFX Tools has an option for 3D Stereo Glasses (requiring a reboot) then it would show the game renderer on the top and bottom but the glasses didnt work with that.

I do have a Voodoo 2 PC, I plan to try the eyeScream drivers with that.

The SimulEyes goggles use a 2.5mm stereo cable instead of a 3.5mm. It looks like this would work to make them a little more "compliant" 😜 http://www.amazon.com/PLAY-STORE-Female-Headp … e+to+3.5mm+male. The SimulEyes glasses are much better than the Sega ones as the shutters are larger and don't really allow much light to creep in.

Reply 56 of 57, by Phill3D

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Maraakate, xjas

Pretty old thread but I joined Vogons to post here, I have found myself drawn into the strange world of DOS stereoscopic 3D gaming! I have made the homebrew glasses controller and got them to work with Elsa wired glasses with LCD-bios and Descent 1 and Descent 2 (really excellent 3D) with a 775i65G mobo - P4 3GHz - Soundblaster soundcard and CH Joystick - Iiyama CRT. But with the age of all this information is rare and hard to come by, i have downloaded patches from Stereo.com for the 3d addons to ROTT and Slipstream etc but I feel if anyone has any more info of exactly which bundle games I need or to check what I have is good enough and some LCDbios settings I will be saving myself a lot of hassle. I have downloaded the Vogons .iso cd's for the old headsets and glasses to rumage through but again any more pointers would be great.

So far got the Dos 7.1 up with Phills startup menu, hex edited the Descent .exe to stop the bobbing as that is brutal in 3D, got soundblaster emulation working in Dos

Any info would be gratefully received!

Best Regards

Phill