VOGONS

First post, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Earlier I was poking around on a Tyan S1590 rev C motherboard, trying to figure out it's 3.3v supply limits. This is a notorious concern on some early AGP motherboards, where higher powered AGP cards might overload and damage them. I got carried away researching this and so I figured some of this info might be useful if anybody else uses this board.

If you use an ATX power supply, then it's 3.3v output will help feed the onboard 3.3v rail. Therefore, I don't anticipate that there would be any problem with using high powered AGP video cards on this board *IF* you use an ATX PSU.
If you use an ATX PSU, then the rest of this post should not apply.

If you are using an AT PSU, then the 3.3v rail has limited output and could be overloaded if you use a heavy video card.

TLDR: When using an AT PSU, the Tyan S1590 supports up to 7A of 3.3v current for the whole board. This includes your RAM, AGP card, up to 0.75A of the CPU, L2 cache chip, and possibly some amount of power on some PCI cards.

The Tyan S1590 supports both AT and ATX power supplies. AT power supplies do not have a 3.3v rail of their own, so boards with an AT connector will always have an onboard regulator to provide the onboard 3.3v.
This board has some jumpers to select between the onboard regulator or an ATX 3.3v supply, but on my board rev C, they are soldered so that both sources are always connected. I have measured and confirmed that the 3.3v ATX pins are connected with the output of the onboard 3.3v regulator. If you use an ATX PSU then they will work in parallel. If you use AT, then you only have the onboard regulator.

The S1590 provides onboard 3.3v by feeding the 5V power supply input into a linear regulator. It is the heatsinked component Q2 located near the corner of the board, just under the DIMM slots. It's a CS5207-1. There's a datasheet from ON Semiconductor here:
http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/CS5207-1-D.PDF
Mine has a different logo on it, so maybe their logo changed or it's a competing brand. Either way, I assume the basic specs should still be the same.
The 3.3v regulator can handle up to 7 Amps total output.
This assumes the heatsink can actually dissipate enough heat at 7A without letting things get too hot. I have no idea how good the heatsink is with respect to the 7A limit.
This 3.3v regulator feeds the AGP slot, the RAM, the PCI slots, the L2 cache, and part of the CPU socket.

AGP: According to wikipedia (unknown if accurate), the AGP spec allows up to 6A to be drawn from the 3.3v pins on the AGP slot. So in the worst case, that leaves only 1A for everything else. I think it would be pretty easy to get overbudget at that point and blow the regulator.
I don't know how much 3.3v current is drawn by well known cards.

PCI: Even though these are generally referred to as 5V PCI slots, they do have some 3.3v power supply pins. I don't know how high their power draw can be. I found a PCI 2.1 spec which seems to say that no 3.3v power is required to be provided at all, but this board is apparently providing it.

RAM: The same 3.3v supply also feeds into the DIMM slots. If you've jumpered the SIMM slots to use 3.3v, then it feeds those also.
I looked up a couple datasheets for 128MB 8-chip PC100/133 SDRAM modules. They both implied a max operating current of 1.2A for an 8-chip 128MB module. However, I think only one module would be active at a time. In standby power on mode, the higher rating I saw was 320mA. There are 3 DIMM slots, so assuming you have all 3 filled with 8-chip 128MB at PC100 speed, I guess ~2A is a safe worst case estimate. I could be way off about this.

L2 Cache: One chip: EliteMT LP61"L"64128F-4 The "L" is stylized, not sure if it's part of part number. Don't know how much power it uses.

CPU: the portion that's powered by this regulator can be a max of 0.75A from what I found. More detail below.

So if you have 0.75A max to the CPU, maybe 2A to the RAM, unknown to the cache chip and possibly nothing to the PCI cards. Let's say 3A is realistic, that would leave 4A for your AGP card. Staying below that might be safer, but maybe my figures are too paranoid.
I'm really unsure what to expect from the PCI cards, but the spec makes it sound like most contemporary cards might not draw any 3.3v at all.

=============================
CPU impact on the 7A regulator
=============================
Split voltage CPUs have 2 power inputs, Vcc2 and Vcc3. Vcc3 is always 3.3v, Vcc2 is whatever core voltage you set with jumpers.
The Vcc2 pins are connected to the CPU Vcore regulator.
The Vcc3 pins are connected to the 7A onboard 3.3v regulator. It eats into the 7A budget.
Vcc2 and Vcc3 each occupy one pin at jumper JP11. Closing that jumper ties these circuits together. It is left open for split voltage CPUs.

Split-voltage CPUs draw most of their power from the Vcc2 pins, not the 3.3v.
For an Intel Pentium MMX 233MHz - according to Intel's Pentium MMX datasheet (24318504), the worst case max current from the 3.3v pins (Icc3) is 0.75A.
For an AMD K6-3 450MHz - according to the "AMD K6-III Processor Data Sheet" pg261, max Icc3 current is 0.66A.
For Cyrix 6x86MX and M2 - all models shown in the datasheets are only 0.1A Icc3.

Classic Pentium P54C - these are single voltage 3.3v CPUs. The Vcc2 and Vcc3 pins described above are all the same on this CPU.
According to Intel's Pentium datasheet (24199710) pg29 - For a Pentium 200MHz, the max 3.3v current is 4.6A.
For a Cyrix 6x86 133MHz (P166+) it's 6.6A. The 150Mhz P200+ model is unlisted, but would be even higher.
These CPUs could be scary if the board isn't jumpered correctly.
When the board is jumpered for a 3.3v-only CPU, you are supposed to close jumper JP11. When you do this, current flows between the 7A regulator described above and the CPU's Vcore regulator circuit. This bolsters how much 3.3v current can be provided. It could even have the side effect of increasing the 3.3v budget for the rest of the board.
The jumper itself is providing the current flow, so you don't want a loose/flimsy jumper at JP11.
If JP11 is closed but you don't have the Vcore jumpers set for 3.3v, it appears it could be catastrophic.
Failing to close JP11 with a 3.3v CPU (like the P54C) might add substantial stress to the onboard 3.3v regulator. - I'm not sure about this, because it depends how much current is drawn at those particular pins on the P54C. Perhaps even on the P54C these pins don't draw any more current than they do on later CPUs, but Intel doesn't say this. On the P54C all the "Vcc2" and "Vcc3" pins are shown as a unified "Vcc", implying they are one unified power supply for the whole chip. As such, the pins formerly known as "Vcc3" might draw a lot more current on that type of CPU.

Attachments

Last edited by shamino on 2015-10-05, 09:07. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

[edit 2018/03: I recently installed a K6-3+ ATZ and have tested some low Vcore settings. Editing this post accordingly.]
This board has very flexible support for different Vcore settings. You are *not* limited to what's printed on the silkscreen or in the manual.

Before going further, I will remind that this board requires a (readily available) modified BIOS to support K6-2+ and K6-3+ (Plus) CPUs. The original K6-3 (non-plus) is supported with the latest official BIOS, but I would recommend the "+" chips nowadays. The info listed here is of most use to those chips.

My S1590 board is a revision C (has a "C" marked in the corner). I believe this is a later revision.
On my copy of this board, the Vcore is controlled with 5 jumpers and the CPU voltage regulator is a Unisem US3011CW. Boards can vary so don't assume yours is the same without checking. It is a 20pin chip near the Vcore jumpers.
From what I've read, some boards only have 4 Vcore jumpers instead of 5. Those might be genuinely restricted to 2.0V and above, but I don't have a board like that to check.

I found the 3011CW datasheet here:
http://www.datasheetlib.com/datasheet/1139820 … 1cw_unisem.html
This is a VRM8.4 compatible chip that can go down to 1.3v. As the datasheet advertises, it supports the voltage range of Coppermine P3s.
If you have the US 3011CW, be happy. It's an amazingly flexible regulator to have with Socket-7. You can set any Vcore you could possibly want with this thing.

Some voltage settings of interest:

1-2   3-4   5-6   7-8   9-10
1.3v off off off off on <Minimum possible>
1.6v off on on off on <Tested>
1.7v off off off on on <Tested>
1.8v off on off on on <Tested>
1.85v on on off on on
1.9v off off on on on <Tested>
1.95v on off on on on
2.0v off on on on on <Tyan's recommended 2.0v setting>
2.0v off off off off off <alternate way to get 2.0v, untested, but maybe convenient since uses no jumpers>
2.05v on on on on on
2.1v on off off off off
2.2v off on off off off
2.3v on on off off off <Tested>
2.4v off off on off off
2.5v on off on off off
2.6v off on on off off

There are settings for 3.4v and 3.5v, but I don't think it's a good idea to use those to overclock a 3.3v CPU. Doing so could cause dangerous complications with the onboard 3.3v rail.

Settings that don't say "Tested" were not tested. To see a complete list of settings, just follow the pattern or download the datasheet for your regulator chip (be careful to correctly deduce the relationship between the board jumpers and the datasheet info - it will be presented a bit differently).
If you want voltages below 2.0V then there's a simple rule to stay safe: JP9-10 (the one closest to the CPU) must be installed (on) in order to get Vcore less than 2.0V. This jumper determines whether you are working in the <=2.0v range or the >=2.0v range. I presume this jumper is what's missing from boards that only have 4 jumpers.

If you have a multimeter, you can measure your Vcore without a CPU installed. To do this, put the red probe on the metal tab on the back of the MOSFET that is most directly underneath the CPU socket. Insulate it with tape to avoid the risk of shorting anything. Put the black probe against an easy ground source, such as the case or the PSU.
Again this is for a Revision C board. From pictures, I can see that other revisions have a different layout so the point to measure might not be the same.

Last edited by shamino on 2018-03-17, 00:50. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 2 of 2, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found something else. The onboard 3.3v rail is connected to the ATX 3.3v pins. So if you use an ATX power supply, then your PSU will provide 3.3v. In addition, the onboard regulator is still connected, so it will also be producing 3.3v from the 5v input. On top of that, if you are jumpered to use a single voltage 3.3v CPU, then the CPU VRM's 3.3v output will also be connected to that same rail. So you can have as many as 3 different 3.3v sources all outputting to a common rail. I don't know if that's something you're supposed to do, but they did it.

If you use an ATX power supply, then I think there is no worry about using heavier AGP video cards with this board. I'll update the first post accordingly.
If you use an AT supply, then you are still limited to the 7A 3.3v onboard regulator, which could be overloaded if you push it too hard.