VOGONS

First post, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys. So I just got - and finished testing a Leadtek A400LE AGP (6800 LE 8p/4s 128MB).

I managed to unlock the extra pipelines and shaders using riva tuner, and I'd like to make the unlock permanent by flashing a new bios.

The thing is, the card is AGP, has GDDR instead of DDR3, and only 128MB of that instead of 256 like most other cards. I tried editing the hardware id and subsystem id in NiBitor, but the card still gets detected as a 6800 LE with 8 piplines and 4 shaders.

Is there any way I can make the unlock permanent?

yRUBwkam.jpg

Reply 1 of 17, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the Asus version that has the gddr but also does have the full 16 pipelines. Maybe you can use a bios of that card for comparison or maybe even flash it. I think it is the v9999gt gamers edition. Don't know how many shaders but i believe it is a full fledged 6800gt but with 128mb gddr to make it cheaper.

It also is an agp card.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2 of 17, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thanks, I'll look it up online and try to flash my card with that bios. If it bricks, I can always reflash with the original bios.

Reply 3 of 17, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good luck, let us know if it works.

Reply 5 of 17, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe there are jumpers/resistors on the card to define the model.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 17, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like how moving / removing some smd resistors on newer cards can turn the card from a geForce to a Quadro? It's possible, but I can't find anything about it online, and I'm not willing to experiment/

Reply 7 of 17, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't you just apply settings at startup in Riva Tuner options? That's what I remember doing with my Leadtek 6800XT AGP.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 8 of 17, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did, and it works well. All extra pipelines and shaders successfully unlocked, and there is no artefacting even with the core overclocked to 400mhz - but I'm looking for a permanent solution.

Reply 9 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If flashing doesn't work, and you aren't willing to find out if there's a resistor mod that can change it, then I think you're out of luck. Changing the resistor to change the ID of the card would be the only way to make the change permanent because the resistor will override all other changes. That's why your flash isn't working, the resistor isn't allowing it. That's how they kept you from turning a cheap GeForce or Radeon into a more expensive model. Have you tried modded drivers? Omega drivers is a good place to look for drivers that will unlock pipes. It will be as close to permanent as you're going to get without hardware modding.

Reply 10 of 17, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

If flashing doesn't work, and you aren't willing to find out if there's a resistor mod that can change it, then I think you're out of luck. Changing the resistor to change the ID of the card would be the only way to make the change permanent because the resistor will override all other changes. That's why your flash isn't working, the resistor isn't allowing it. That's how they kept you from turning a cheap GeForce or Radeon into a more expensive model. Have you tried modded drivers? Omega drivers is a good place to look for drivers that will unlock pipes. It will be as close to permanent as you're going to get without hardware modding.

I didn't say I don't want to do a resistor mod - just that I can't find info on it, and randomly removing SMD resistors off the back of the board can't be a good idea. If I knew exactly what resistor I need to remove I'd do it.

All I can come across is stuff like this: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/224694-turn … -ultra-extreme/

He offers some instructions on what resistors to remove, but the pictures are long gone so the thread is actually no help at all other than confirming tha fact that you can hardware mod the cards.

Reply 11 of 17, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On Radeon 9600 the resistors are located on the chip itself. 9600SE vs 9600. Notice the difference in the bottom right corner:
rv350_01.jpg rv350_02.jpg

Since you have both cards, you could compare core chips and find the right combination.

Reply 12 of 17, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

unfortunately both chips have the same resistor configuration. They are identical. The PCBs are also identical, sans the color and the GDDR3 on the MSI 6800.... this sucks.

Reply 13 of 17, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately it is in dutch and it is too technical for me to translate and (most of all) explain it. But here is al the info you need to modify your bios. Try a good translater i guess 🤣

It is stated that it is NOT needed to remove resistors and doesn't involve any soldering. Just changing settings to ignoring hardware masks and then editing some numbers.

You can scroll down to ''De 6800LE Hard-mod''

http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1032722

Reply 14 of 17, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Click for larger picture:

2lXZcU4m.jpg TMqWWD0m.jpg

So the cores have identical resistor layout. The red one is a MSI 6800 GT with the full 16/6 pipes unlocked. The green is the Leadtek I'm trying to unlock.

Reply 16 of 17, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are a few threads witch describe the 6800le / nu to 6800 ultra resistor mod - unfortunately the much needed pictures of the resistors one needs to bridge are gone. I could not find pictures in any of the topic-related threads 🙁 This should have been preserved in places like Vogons for future reference.

I'm not sure measuring EVERY resistor on the back of the boards is feasible...

Reply 17 of 17, by kokornov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://web.archive.org/web/20041209150122/ht … temReview&no=39

here's some pictures

UPD: tried that on Leadtek A400 LE. Didn't work for me. RivaTuner still shows 8/4 PS/VS even after flashing non-LE bios. Though you can permanently unlock units by applying NV4xBIOSSwUnitsMaskEliminator script to video bios from RivaTuner. I was only able to reach 6800 non-LE formula (12/5), volt modding to 1.4v didn't help against artifacts.

Attachments

• 07.jpg
    Filename
    07.jpg
    File size
    40.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain