VOGONS

First post, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys. I aquired a Voodoo 4 4500 today and it's notched for both 1.5V and 3.3V AGP. Looking online I could not find clear info about this card, and I'd frankly love to run it on my 939 rig for some benchmarks - BUT - I'm afraid it might kill the card.

Do any of you know for sure if the card supports 1.5v AGP? Is there a way to get a manual for it?

So far I've tested the card on an Acorp 7KT266AL mainboard with universal AGP and it would not detect the video card until I plugged in a Matrox G450 and set AGP from Auto to 2x mode in BIOS. Now the card is running and I'm installing win98.
Here's a pic of the card:

5vRBbNql.jpg

Reply 1 of 28, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIK the V4 4500 is an exception and works with both voltages. I'd be surprised if this one is different, but you never know.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 28, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The AGP slot notching would indicate that you are correct, but I really don't want to risk the card...

The MOSFET present on the board seems to only take 3.3V power: http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/vi … SEM/US1150.html and convert it to 2.7V.

I found this: http://hw-museum.cz/view-vga.php?vgaID=170 - spec table indicates it is an AGP 2x board, but it does not say if it will take 3.3 or 1.5v

UPDATE:

Ok so I figured it out with the help of Falconfly.de:

Only the retail 3dfx built Voodoo4 4500 AGP is 4xAGP 1.5V capable. The Powercolor Evilking Voodoo4 and the rare 3dfx Voodoo4 4500 "L" Shaped variants are confirmed to be 2xAGP 3.3V only

Conclusion: If you happen across a PowerColor or L shaped 3dfx Voodoo 4 cards, DO NOT plug them into a 1.5V AGP 4x/8x board.

My test rig hasn't finished installing win98 yet (had some trouble with the 80GB HDD) but I'll post some benchmarks when it's ready.

Reply 4 of 28, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fun little fact - while playing around with the drivers, I found "digital SLi" and "SLi Compatibility" under 3dfx advanced features tab. Makes me wonder if one could chain up two voodoo 4 4500 or voodoo 5 5500 PCI w/o a bridge for better performance...

Reply 6 of 28, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Benchies!!!

The test system is:
- 1100MHz AMD Duron
- Acorp 7KT266AL - VIA KT266
- PowerColor Evilking Voodoo 4 4500 AGP (32mb)
- 256MB DDR333 @ 266Mhz
- 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax20 (rebranded seagate?)

Results:

3DMark 99 @ default:

PHazWM1l.jpg

3DMark2001 @ 1024x768 - 16bit color

PrYwp1nl.jpg

3DMark2001 @ 1024x768 - 32bit color

FmR1aH6l.jpg

The card seems to score in 32 bit mode about as much as my Voodoo 3 3500TV on my XP 2400+ in 3Dmark 01 does in 16 bit mode, and about 300pts more then the aforementioned setup in 16 bit mode, witch makes sense since it has a bigger framebuffer.

Reply 7 of 28, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some people claim their PowerColor V4 is working in 1.5V AGP 4/8x MB. Maybe it depends on PCB revision, who knows.
Anyway the safe approach is to use only 3.3V capable motherboards with Evilking IV. It is rare piece of HW and it would be shame to kill it by using wrong MB.

btw - there are other videocards that have the AGP 4x notch but do not support 1.5V AGP.... like Rage Fury MAXX and some varints of Kyro 2.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 8 of 28, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The powercolor version is 3.3v only but the reference version is 1.5v, there is a safe way to test but lost the link. You will need a few things but doesn't require a board.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 9 of 28, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

The powercolor version is 3.3v only but the reference version is 1.5v, there is a safe way to test but lost the link. You will need a few things but doesn't require a board.

If there is a way to test I'd be happy to try (as long as it will not harm the board).

Frankly, I don't think it will - lower voltage should not harm the card - theoretically plugging an AGP 8X 1.5V card into a universal AGP slot previously setup for a 3.3V card should indeed do damage (and I've seen this happen). I don't see how supplying 1.5V to a card that requires 3.3V could harm the video card (but I'm sure someone can explain it to me).

Before putting the V4 in my test board, I had a Geforce 4 Ti 4200, so the Acorp was setup for AGP 4X. When I first plugged in the V4 the mainboard acted like it had no video card installed (1 long and 3 short beeps). Tried to power it on twice, re-seated the V4, tried to power on again - still video card error beeps - finally I plugged the GF4 Ti back in, went into BIOS, set AGP to 2x, set fast writes and burst write to Disabled, plugged in the V4 and it worked.

Reply 10 of 28, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:
nforce4max wrote:

Frankly, I don't think it will - lower voltage should not harm the card - theoretically plugging an AGP 8X 1.5V card into a universal AGP slot previously setup for a 3.3V card should indeed do damage (and I've seen this happen). I don't see how supplying 1.5V to a card that requires 3.3V could harm the video card (but I'm sure someone can explain it to me).

A lower voltage on the signal lines should not harm the card... but the card using is 3,3V signals on a motherboard expecting 1.5V - the motherboard is the one in the line of fire here.

Reply 11 of 28, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I remember correctly there is a mod to make the card work at 1.5volts.

I've never tried it myself. I have a few of these EvilKing cards.

Sorry I cannot find anymore info about the mod at the moment but I will keep looking.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 12 of 28, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bet it implies replacing the 3.3v regulator with a 1.5v regulator and switching around some resistors - but I'm not willing to try it on a Voodoo 4...

Reply 14 of 28, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

I bet it implies replacing the 3.3v regulator with a 1.5v regulator and switching around some resistors - but I'm not willing to try it on a Voodoo 4...

Changing regulators will not help you. That usually has to do with power voltages. [Vcc.]
Then they talk about 3.3v vs 1.5v for AGP it's about the *SIGNALING* voltages, not the power voltage they run on.
Both the mobo and the card have to be capable of using the same signaling voltage or it won't work.
If the card has the key cut for 1.5v signaling then it most likely can use 1.5v signaling.
It was the later technology. Does not make sense they would cut that key slot if the card wasn't capable.
There is a great AGP reference here: http://pinouts.ru/Slots/agp_pinout.shtml
That one shows the pin assignment differences between the AGP types. Most don't.

[edit.]

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2015-12-05, 21:49. Edited 2 times in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 15 of 28, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
anthony wrote:

Just solder 4.7k resistor to r97 and enjoy. This mod will add universal agp support

R97 is right above the AGP key right?

PCBONEZ wrote:
Changing regulators will not help you. That has to do with power voltages. Then they talk about 3.3v vs 1.5v for AGP it's about […]
Show full quote
kanecvr wrote:

Changing regulators will not help you. That has to do with power voltages.
Then they talk about 3.3v vs 1.5v for AGP it's about the *SIGNALING* voltages, not the power voltage they run on.
Both the mobo and the card have to capable of using the same signaling voltage or it won't work.
If the card has the key cut for 1.5v signaling then it most likely can use 1.5v signaling.
It was the later technology. Does not make sense they would cut that key slot if the card wasn't capable.

I see - thanks for the explanation - now it makes sense.

Reply 17 of 28, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
R97 is right above the AGP key right? […]
Show full quote
anthony wrote:

Just solder 4.7k resistor to r97 and enjoy. This mod will add universal agp support

R97 is right above the AGP key right?

PCBONEZ wrote:
Changing regulators will not help you. That has to do with power voltages. Then they talk about 3.3v vs 1.5v for AGP it's about […]
Show full quote
kanecvr wrote:

Changing regulators will not help you. That has to do with power voltages.
Both the mobo and the card have to capable of using the same signaling voltage or it won't work.

I see - thanks for the explanation - now it makes sense.

Oh no, I type so slow...

There is a great AGP reference here: http://pinouts.ru/Slots/agp_pinout.shtml
That one shows the pin assignment differences between the AGP types. Most don't.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 18 of 28, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The easiest method to test - an Universal AGP MB. Asus CUSL2 or something similar...
These MBs work in both 3.3V and 1.5V modes so you can't fry anything.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 19 of 28, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The board I'm using has universal AGP, and as far as I know, while supporting AGP 4x, the CUSL-2 only works with 3.3V cards (It will work with my AGP 4x A250LE but won't with my AGP 8x A280LE - 1 long 3 short beeps). Then again mine could just be weird.

Like I wrote above - when I plugged the video card in my test board for the first time, it was not being detected because the board previously used a 4x GF4 Ti. It only started working after I manually set AGP to 2x from BIOS.