VOGONS

First post, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I said to myself NO! like a million times today. But the curiousness won me. I've installed a K6-2 500mhz on my socket 7 single voltage motherboard (3.3v, while K6-2 is 2.2v core).
I was expecting no less than fire. But to my surprise it's running at 233mhz (max multiplier of my motherboard is 3.5x)!!! I'm running prime95 and everything is perfect. I ran speedsys and it showed the exact same performance as a Pentium II 233 mhz. My bios doesn't recognize it. It only displays "-S processor 25mhz" but both Windows and Speedsys recognizes well.

What do you think about this? Do any of you attempted something like this before? I'm astonished about this!

PD: if you want some proof of this I can upload some pics 🤣

Reply 1 of 13, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hope you have a very good cooling system, and I'd not run it for extended periods of time regardless, but congratz!
Btw isn't the 2x multiplier remapped to 6x on those chips? You could get it to 400MHz that way.

Reply 2 of 13, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Believe it or not, with stock Intel's 370 cooler it gets barely warm. Same behavior than p55c 200 mhz. I ran prime95 fft for about an hour and it's super stable!
I'll try 2x setting. If it works that will be too damn impressive! It's the first time I see something like this.

Reply 4 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, you are basically running a 2.2V CPU at 3.3V?

That does take some guts. And here I was scared to run my K6-2 @2.8V (my board doesn't have any voltage options between 2.2V and 2.8V). 😉

It's not totally surprising that it runs stable at 400MHz. More voltage makes the chips more stable, not less. That is, until they get too hot and burn. Since the K6 has no overheating protection like modern CPUs, I'd say you better monitor the temperatures closely, and not overdo this, because at the end of the road you have a toasted chip. 😜

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps he could test for us to see if the theory of electromigration is true or not? 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 13, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some Mainboards autodetect Voltage,
what mainboard do you use ??

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 8 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386SX wrote:

The original 0.35u K6 233Mhz at 3.3v still probably wins in the cooling requirement. 😁

Probably, but the original K6 should also have a larger die size (since K6-2 is basically the same thing but with a die shrink), which means it should be able to dissipate more heat before it fails.

matze79 wrote:

Probably this: FIC PA-2001

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 13, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
Probably, but the original K6 should also have a larger die size (since K6-2 is basically the same thing but with a die shrink), […]
Show full quote
386SX wrote:

The original 0.35u K6 233Mhz at 3.3v still probably wins in the cooling requirement. 😁

Probably, but the original K6 should also have a larger die size (since K6-2 is basically the same thing but with a die shrink), which means it should be able to dissipate more heat before it fails.

matze79 wrote:

Interesting point, have anyone seen both core without the metal cover?

By the way from my tests the K6-233 really need eveything you'd use to cool a socket 7 system. Ok 30W of TDP is not a "Barton" but definetely the highest point they probably could reach at that time.

Reply 10 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386SX wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Probably, but the original K6 should also have a larger die size (since K6-2 is basically the same thing but with a die shrink), […]
Show full quote
386SX wrote:

matze79 wrote:

Interesting point, have anyone seen both core without the metal cover?

I did delid a K6-2 once (I was curious and it was defective anyway) and without it's metal heatspreader it very much reminds me of a sA Thunderbird, but with a smaller die. Never delidded a 0.35µ K6 though.

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote:

So, you are basically running a 2.2V CPU at 3.3V?

That does take some guts. And here I was scared to run my K6-2 @2.8V (my board doesn't have any voltage options between 2.2V and 2.8V). 😉

It's not totally surprising that it runs stable at 400MHz. More voltage makes the chips more stable, not less. That is, until they get too hot and burn. Since the K6 has no overheating protection like modern CPUs, I'd say you better monitor the temperatures closely, and not overdo this, because at the end of the road you have a toasted chip. 😜

A K6-2 500 is common enough and cheap enough to experiment with.

Just don't try it with a K6-2+

Reply 12 of 13, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a FIC PA-2001. Is the same rig I'm restoring. I found these K6-2 yesterday and I got curious jajaja. I'm sure my motherboard doesn't have autodetect feature.
The only issue I saw is, again, the voltage regulator. At 400mhz is burning hot. At 233 mhz is ok (same as P55C 200) but with the benefit that a k6-2 233 is closer to a Pentium II 233 than a P55C 233.

I will return to the P55C 200 (and maybe next week I will buy a P55C 233). But for experimental purposes this was so awesome! I never saw something like this before. Maybe it serves to encourage some other people to do some experiments.

Reply 13 of 13, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Perhaps he could test for us to see if the theory of electromigration is true or not? 😁

I agree, the K6-2 wouldn't survive that voltage for long. The absolute maximum voltage any K6-2 can be run without destroying it (Core Voltage Upper Limit) is 2.6V.