VOGONS

IBM PS/2 floppy disk drive restore / repair

Topic actions

First post, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’m sure there are probably a few here that have maybe had to do this themselves at some point even though I can’t find any threads / posts on the subject.

In any case, I bought not long ago for a reasonable price an IBM PS/2 Model 80 (tower) which was in need of service… getting the dead battery/cleared CMOS (162/163) error messages upon boot.

I replaced the battery of course and attempted to load the reference disk from floppy but it could not read the disk at boot for some strange reason and instead opted to boot into the ROM basic.

I managed to figure out the trouble folk have with IBM floppy drives (particularly the Mitsubishi’s) over time, and the drying out of the dielectric in the electrolytic capacitors on the floppy PCB. So I had a choice… spend $50+ on a new drive that may at some point have the same problem or attempt to repair the drive on hand. Looking at the costs of some of the drives these days the latter choice was the clear winner.

So, after removing the old electrolytics and sourcing the replacements… I set about the repair, see pictures below.

df9e8f461131629.jpg
Old electrolytics

337037461131654.jpg
New electrolytics

fdde8b461131683.jpg
Continuity test

81fda0461131712.jpg
Done

It turned out after soldering in the new and testing the old… that only 1 cap still worked and was still in spec. Of the other 4… 2 were blown open, and the other 2 were still bridged though were quite out of spec… well on their way out for sure.

I also applied (being careful of the electronics) some WD40 as the drives mechanism for slotting in the floppy / eject was not working too well... now the floppy's are flying out like projectiles!

I have not yet returned or tested the drive in the Model 80, but will in the coming days and return with my findings.

Last edited by 386_junkie on 2016-01-25, 11:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 67, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow that's great! Job well done there. I must admit for a long time I assumed those small caps were no big deal, now I will have to look a bit more closely at failed hardware!

Reply 2 of 67, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Success!

After installing the drive back in with a floppy inserted at boot... the cat no longer had it's tongue and it wouldn't stop talking, happily chirping away with the reference disk! 😁

a0b587461341305.jpg
70ba24461341341.jpg
f6ba2f461341393.jpg
167f40461341467.jpg

Good times! 😀

P.S. If anyone is in the same situ, let me know and I can help those wishing to restore their drive.... it beats $50+ for another one!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 3 of 67, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malvineous wrote:

Wow that's great! Job well done there. I must admit for a long time I assumed those small caps were no big deal, now I will have to look a bit more closely at failed hardware!

It's amazing how much hardware can stop responding all because of a blown tantalum or open electrolytic... it's well worth restoring failed hardware with replacement components.

Hopefully the drive will now last another 30+ years! 😁

Reply 4 of 67, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nicely done! 😁

What was the exact model numbers of the problematic IBM drives? And are these IBM floppy drives taking standard 1.44MB disks or are they 720KB or 2.88MB? I remember back in the day many of these IBMs seemed to use those IBM 2.88MB floppy drives (usually have a small 2.88 on the fromt of that long eject button) but these had different wiring, so couldn't be used in normal PCs without doing some rewiring. By the time one could get the adapters these drives seemed to have all but disappeared.

And I suppose the older floppy drives would be easier to repair as the later ones gradually evolved to be produced more cheaply, with more integrated and less components that could be replaced (they got less made to last long while the older ones seemed to be better engineered and more complicated in a way).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 67, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386_junkie wrote:

P.S. If anyone is in the same situ, let me know and I can help those wishing to restore their drive.... it beats $50+ for another one!

That reminds me, I need to have some work done on my model 30's floppy drive, which is currently in the same situation as your model 80's was - refusing to read anything 90% of the time, even with a good 720KB disk (since it's a 720KB drive) and I'm suspecting capacitor failure, since that seems to be what sidelines these old drives the most. Anyways, nice job! I might be sending you a PM when I decide to get back to restoring that thing... 😀

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 6 of 67, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What was the exact model numbers of the problematic IBM drives? And are these IBM floppy drives taking standard 1.44MB disks or are they 720KB or 2.88MB?

I've had failures in all the variants of the floppy drives that shipped with the PS/2 excluding the 2.88mb drives. The one 2.88 I opened to see why this was the case had no lytics in it at all.

Now, I assume now that your repair is proven to work you will go back and trim the leads a little, right? Those long uninsulated leads are kinda kludgy.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 8 of 67, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most were scrapped because they weren't PC-compatible (differently wired connectors, amongst other things)...kinda funny when considering old games and other software used to be IBM-compatible 🤣!

But respect for anyone managing to fix an old floppy drive! 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 67, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Nicely done! 😁

What was the exact model numbers of the problematic IBM drives? And are these IBM floppy drives taking standard 1.44MB disks or are they 720KB or 2.88MB?

And I suppose the older floppy drives would be easier to repair as the later ones gradually evolved to be produced more cheaply, with more integrated and less components that could be replaced (they got less made to last long while the older ones seemed to be better engineered and more complicated in a way).

Thanks.

I think it was mainly any and all of the drives made by Mitsubishi... the one I repaired was a 1.44MB drive.

I can't comment on any of the other drives but from what I can gather they tend to be a bit more reliable... but at the end of the day, anything that uses electrolytics will need them replaced at some point as the dielectric inside becomes less conductive.

Reply 11 of 67, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sutekh94 wrote:
386_junkie wrote:

That reminds me, I need to have some work done on my model 30's floppy drive, which is currently in the same situation as your model 80's was - refusing to read anything 90% of the time, even with a good 720KB disk (since it's a 720KB drive) and I'm suspecting capacitor failure, since that seems to be what sidelines these old drives the most. Anyways, nice job! I might be sending you a PM when I decide to get back to restoring that thing... 😀

My drive wasn't reading disks at all... so I have a strong hunch that your caps inside are on their way out. Most of these drives are pushing 30 years old... so they've put in a decent shift already.

Yea for sure give me a shout when your ready and hopefully I can give you a hand... cap values, polarity and the likes.

Reply 12 of 67, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PeterLI wrote:

I was referring to vintage computer hobbyists.

k, didn't know that the number of IBM floppy drives that were left after the initial carnage were diluted even further due to retro computer hobbyists trashing large numbers of IBM floppy drives that had remained, but went defective after the initial carnage.

Years ago I also had the habit of doing lots of smalltalk with people who at the time were into (re)selling old computer gear and he told me he had literally trashed stacks of old IBM computers (many which had 2.88MB floppy drives, as I asked him about these drives specifically) and all went to the scrappers, but he found very few PC ones, most even didn't know these floppy drives were made with PC standard instead of the IBM standard ones. I find it kinda amazing that so many of these IBM systems apparently went to the scrappers and the resellers decided to do so because these IBM computers were IBM-incompatible 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 67, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CelGen wrote:

Now, I assume now that your repair is proven to work you will go back and trim the leads a little, right? Those long uninsulated leads are kinda kludgy.

Nah probably not, I trimmed the leads quite short already compared to how long they were when they arrived. There was not much room inside the housing so I had to position the caps where there were no obstructions, that and so the case could shut right. It works well, a couple more mm's of the leads won't make any difference, besides... I've got far too many repairs / projects on the go right now as it is and with little time.

Reply 14 of 67, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386_junkie wrote:
Thanks. […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

Nicely done! 😁

Thanks.

I think it was mainly any and all of the drives made by Mitsubishi... the one I repaired was a 1.44MB drive.

I can't comment on any of the other drives but from what I can gather they tend to be a bit more reliable... but at the end of the day, anything that uses electrolytics will need them replaced at some point as the dielectric inside becomes less conductive.

I have a particular floppy drive which I tested. The floppy was inserted, but as the drive was apparently trying to read the disk, it didn't spin around.

You happen to know what might be wrong with it?
I do have an almost identical floppy drive available I could cannibalize for spares (this drive tested as working).

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 67, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

Cool! You can easily start a profitable repair service for IBM FDDs. Many have scrapped their PS/2s already because of FDD failure.

That's a shame.

The whole throw away culture gig is a sad by-product of capitalism. First sign of wear 'n' tear... chuck it out and get a new one. 😒

The more these are thrown out and not refurbished... the more valuable the one's still in circulation will be. Already the drives are fetching a minimum of about $50!

Reply 16 of 67, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

I have a particular floppy drive which I tested. The floppy was inserted, but as the drive was apparently trying to read the disk, it didn't spin around.

I do have an almost identical floppy drive available I could cannibalize for spares (this drive tested as working).

It may not need parts.

Another fault with these drives is a mis-alignment of heads that read the disk... it would be a case of opening the drive and adjusting the drive head to be in-line with the disk, something along those lines anyway... I have not needed to do this (yet) but it may be worth googling.

Reply 17 of 67, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386_junkie wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

It may not need parts.

Another fault with these drives is a mis-alignment of heads that read the disk... it would be a case of opening the drive and adjusting the drive head to be in-line with the disk, something along those lines anyway... I have not needed to do this (yet) but it may be worth googling.

I know this particular drive wouldn't try to spin the disk around when it tried to read the disk (afaicr the "I'm trying to read the disk"-LED did light up, but it simply did not spin the disk like it was supposed to do). I do have an almost identical drive which I had tested and this one does spin the disk around, so if need be I 'could' replace a faulty part of the non-working drive with one of the other drive...or at least that's kinda what I hope is possible 😜

I don't know how to repair it's failing to spin a disk around without replacing any part of the floppy drive

Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 67, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
386_junkie wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

I know this particular drive wouldn't try to spin the disk around when it tried to read the disk (afaicr the "I'm trying to read the disk"-LED did light up, but it simply did not spin the disk like it was supposed to do).

I don't know how to repair it's failing to spin a disk around without replacing any part of the floppy drive

Come to think of it... this was the same thing that was happening to the FDD I repaired. It (the LED) lit up but there was no noise coming from the drive, no spinning motor, head reading the disk... nothing.

Changing the capacitors bridged a couple that had blown open circuit and put back into tolerance a couple more... it did the job, from seemingly a dead FDD to a functional one. The capacitors charge up and store current before bursting it back out once a threshold is reached... it is likely that the motor which spins the disk is driven by one of these electrolytics.

Before going and butchering the functional drive... it may be worth your while (and a euro or 2 to buy new capacitors) just to replace them, it sounds most likely to be the fault.