VOGONS

First post, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have a floppy drive in my PC. Both 'A' and 'B' are set to 'None' in my BIOS. I have the floppy controller disabled. Windows 98SE keeps saying "Drive A is using a compatibility mode filesystem." Sometimes when I try to install something, it will try to go to the 'A' drive, and I have to sit and wait for it to give up talking to something that isn't there. How do I 'kill' this phantom A drive?

Reply 1 of 17, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That sounds familiar 😀

The installation also pauses a few times looking for the floppy drive.

The only solution that worked for me was connecting a floppy drive 😵

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 17, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a floppy drive I could put in,but I don't want/need a floppy there, ha. The floppy controller is disabled in bios. Maybe windows treats a valid floppy controller w/ no drives differently than no floppy controller.

Reply 4 of 17, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea I once tried all the permutations of the drive setting as well as the controller setting. I'm sure there is a way, but it was just so much easier to just hook up a floppy drive 🤣

Or just ignore the "Drive A is using a compatibility mode filesystem". I don't think it has any impact.

Reply 5 of 17, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is usually an option in the BIOS setup under "Advanced BIOS Settings" called "Report No FDD for OS/Windows", this setting should solve the issue.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 6 of 17, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

There is usually an option in the BIOS setup under "Advanced BIOS Settings" called "Report No FDD for OS/Windows", this setting should solve the issue.

^ this. Also disabling the FDD controller in bios will help.

Reply 7 of 17, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At least on a board I tried, don't ask me which one though, such an option wasn't in the BIOS. And no, disabling the FDD controller and / or the floppy entries didn't work either. But this doesn't affect all boards which is odd.

Reply 8 of 17, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

I have mixed result with that option in some motherboards,
while most of them really tell win 9x to not shown any floppy in explorer or device manager,
on some other motherboard it just a bogus setting without any effect on win 9x (the non-existent floppy still shown),
but I also encounter crash at win 9x start up when the said setting are enabled!

-fffuuu

Reply 10 of 17, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try this:

- Right click My Computer.
- Performance Tab.
- File System button.
- Floppy Disk Tab.
- Uncheck "Search for new floppy disk drives each time your computer starts".

This is in Windows Millennium, I don't have a 98SE computer turned on right now.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 11 of 17, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found an additional option in the BIOS: Report no FDD for Win 95. (Which is somehow necessary, with floppy controller disabled, and both floppy options set to none.) Now in Windows 98 is shows up as 'Removable disk A'. But it no longer has the long pause if you click on it, it just says its not formatted. Window REALLY wants a floppy drive.

I did go into performance/filesystem/ floppy drives, and unchecked 'search for new floppy drives.' And it's still hanging onto the A drive like a baby with its pacifier. At least the 20 second delay is gone. I've told this computer it doesn't have a floppy drive in 4 different places. This is quite silly.

The message is clear: I guess I need to put that floppy drive in.

Reply 13 of 17, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carangil wrote:

I found an additional option in the BIOS: Report no FDD for Win 95. (Which is somehow necessary, with floppy controller disabled, and both floppy options set to none.) Now in Windows 98 is shows up as 'Removable disk A'. But it no longer has the long pause if you click on it, it just says its not formatted. Window REALLY wants a floppy drive.

I did go into performance/filesystem/ floppy drives, and unchecked 'search for new floppy drives.' And it's still hanging onto the A drive like a baby with its pacifier. At least the 20 second delay is gone. I've told this computer it doesn't have a floppy drive in 4 different places. This is quite silly.

The message is clear: I guess I need to put that floppy drive in.

Disable the Floppy disk controller in BIOS and the icon should go away. You can usually find the option under "Integrated Peripherals" -> "Onboard FDC Controller" - and you set that to disabled. It can also be called "Diskette Controller, Floppy Controller" and alike.

Reply 16 of 17, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This problem used to be well known and there were programs to fix it. Sadly, I do not remember what these programs were called or what they did.

Perhaps you could "dummy" a drive to A: just to stop the system lagging and crashing. Maybe try adding
SUBST A: C:\DUMYFLPY
to Autoexec.bat which would map that directory to the A: drive. If this got rid of the delay you could then use something like X-Setup to hide the drive icon in My Computer. Software would still look in that "drive" if it wanted to access it but the icon would not appear for it.

Edit: You would have to make that directory or it wouldn't work. You can leave it empty though.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 17 of 17, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I've seen a disabled floppy controller cause 98se setup to BSOD. Something specific to that motherboard. The floppy issue is a strange one.

I've encountered that problem myself - and the reverse - floppy disk controller enabled in bios, but drive a and b set to none causing bsods when installing 98 on some intel 440 / 810 chipset boards as well as some slot 1 via boards.