VOGONS

First post, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I alluded to this card recently in both the 'I recently bought...' and 'What retro activity...' threads, but thought it was worth documenting the process of restoring this card. I will also add it to the Wiki 😀

So, the eagle-eyed bristlehog posted up a link to an eBay auction for a 'Vintage Amstrad Sound Card 8-bit'. No mention of it being an Adlib clone, which is probably why it didn't attract much attention (I love ambiguously-titled eBay listings). The description included the good old 'pulled from a working machine' line, and claimed to have been kept in 'safe storage'. Pfff.

A bit of background: I had an original Adlib back in the day, which was part of a 'multimedia kit' we got for our Ambra 386SX/25. It included Knights of the Sky and some other games that I can't remember. Anyway, this was my first experience of audio on a PC beyond the PC speaker. All my mates had SoundBlasters though, so I never thought fondly of my Adlib at the time. When I eventually upgraded to an AWE32, I sold the Adlib to a kid in my school for £10.

Amstrad began manufacturing 'affordable' IBM PC clones in the 80s following the relative success of the CPC. They released a number of models based on the 8088, 286 and 386, culminating in the Mega-PC. Soon after this they withdrew from the PC market (just as it became popular!) This sound card (model 3100-015P-4) was bundled with the PC5286, which was marketed as a gaming PC. It's likely the system's designers considered including the Adlib in their machines, but the lack of game port would have required either including one on their motherboard design or taking up an additional ISA slot with a controller card of some kind. On balance they must have decided it made economical sense to manufacture their own YMF3812-based card, with a game port included.

There is no official documentation about this card and what is available is anecdotal. There are a few queries on a New Zealand-based mailing list from the late 90s, mostly concerning what the card is and where drivers can be obtained for it. One of the responses to a query in 1998 included the quote:

As you can now buy a basic sound card which is fully SB compatible for the price of a four pack of decent beer I'd recommend discarding that old dinosaur and fitting something a little more modern.

Obviously since then the Adlib and its clones have become somewhat more scarce and valued, mostly due to the general lack of 8-bit cards out there. I don't own an XT, but I hope to one day, so I made a bid on the card and got lucky. This is the seller's pic:

Adlib Clone.jpg
Filename
Adlib Clone.jpg
File size
236.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hilariously, I hadn't actually looked at the pictures until after I had won the auction. While it was being shipped, I wondered whether I had ordered a dud. It looks like the card has been in a damp, dusty place for some time. When it arrived I got a closer look at the issues:

Some moisture corrosion on the ISA contacts:

20160429_140248-1600x900.jpg
Filename
20160429_140248-1600x900.jpg
File size
247.49 KiB
Views
File license

Rust on the volume control and on the underside:

20160429_140302-1600x900.jpg
Filename
20160429_140302-1600x900.jpg
File size
219.75 KiB
Views
File license
20160429_140451-1200x2133.jpg
Filename
20160429_140451-1200x2133.jpg
File size
351.54 KiB
Views
File license

Rust around the game port:

20160429_140309-1600x900.jpg
Filename
20160429_140309-1600x900.jpg
File size
179.21 KiB
Views
File license

Also, the card had been stored next to, or under, something relatively heavy as all the caps were squashed against the board. I decided to not even bother plugging the card in to 'see if it works'. Due to the attachment limit, the next post will begin the restoration process.

sources:
http://www.retroisle.com/amstrad/pcs/general.php
http://www.freetimeweb.nl/home/computer/alt/l … wson/questa.htm
http://www.freetimeweb.nl/home/computer/alt/l … wson/quest8.htm

Last edited by brassicGamer on 2016-05-11, 23:25. Edited 2 times in total.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 1 of 27, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Step one: remove the metal items and the capacitors:

20160429_171954-1200x2133.jpg
Filename
20160429_171954-1200x2133.jpg
File size
441.29 KiB
Views
File license

The silkscreen indicated polarity and gave each component a number, so I wrote down each corresponding rating for each capacitor. The bracket and game port shield came off easily and I submerged them in vinegar. The potentiometer was tricky because I don't have a soldering station with vacuum, only a solder sucker, so I had to spend time doing this bit by bit without scorching the PCB. This is how it looked once I removed it:

20160429_172000-1200x2133.jpg
Filename
20160429_172000-1200x2133.jpg
File size
314.53 KiB
Views
File license

Step two: I used vinegar again (no isopropyl alcohol here) and some cotton buds (or q-tips, if you're not British) to swab the board, contacts, etc. I left some vinegar on the rusted pot contacts for a few minutes as well. I then rinsed the board and dried it. I used washing up liquid and a scouring pad to clean up the gold contacts and the rusty spots and this technique worked quite well:

20160429_185339-1600x900.jpg
Filename
20160429_185339-1600x900.jpg
File size
233.43 KiB
Views
File license
20160429_185418-1600x900.jpg
Filename
20160429_185418-1600x900.jpg
File size
276.76 KiB
Views
File license

The cleaned PCB:

20160429_185532-1600x900.jpg
Filename
20160429_185532-1600x900.jpg
File size
290.64 KiB
Views
File license

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 2 of 27, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Step three: I removed the metal items from the vinegar, rinsed and dried. Most of the actual rust had come off but I used the scouring pad additionally to get off as much of the actual corrosion as I could, as it had darkened the metal.

Step four: resoldered the pot, which was looking much better than before. Looked through my collection of components and, luckily, had replacements for all the caps. This isn't a high-load card or one that will get hot so I wasn't bothered about using solid caps, just reliable ones. Soldered them all back in, then replaced the shield and bracket:

20160429_195042-1600x900.jpg
Filename
20160429_195042-1600x900.jpg
File size
229.72 KiB
Views
File license

And here's how the back of the card looks following the elbow grease:

20160429_195117-1600x900.jpg
Filename
20160429_195117-1600x900.jpg
File size
201.56 KiB
Views
File license

And a final overview of the card. Looks awesome. I had a big grin on my face. And I did all this while cooking the kids' dinner!

20160429_195241-1200x2133.jpg
Filename
20160429_195241-1200x2133.jpg
File size
444.18 KiB
Views
File license

Step five: testing!! Took this as an opportunity to test out the VIP board HighTreason sent me during the week. There are only 3 ISA slots on this board, one of them being occupied by a Cirrus Logic VLB card. I placed the Amstrad card in one of the slots adjacent to it and got no video at first. Changed the interrupt jumper to try some other settings - no change. Moved it to other other slot and it worked fine! No popping caps, no smoking, no unpleasant noises from the speakers. It did seem to be picking up quite a bit of noise from the hard drive I/O though (I have seen this mentioned on the web). Fired up Wolfenstein 3D and saw that magic indicator!

20160429_210553-1600x900.jpg
Filename
20160429_210553-1600x900.jpg
File size
309.79 KiB
Views
File license

At first I had no audio coming out of the speakers whatsoever and I was a bit disappointed (but not surprised). However, I realised that audio had merely been disabled in the options. The reward for my hard work: an Adlib clone for £30, and pure, unadulterated OPL2 audio!!!

Reply 4 of 27, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, that cleaned up really well!
I expected the ISA fingers to end up clean but chewed up on the edges after the rust removal process, but in the end you got amazing results!
How's the potentiometer, any scratchiness?

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 5 of 27, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Congratulations on a job well done ! 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 27, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You did a fantastic job! Saw that auction but the condition put me off. Re isopropyl, Maplin sells it in an aerosol. But I reckon vinegar/acetic acid would have had more cleaning power in this case anyway.

Reply 7 of 27, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:

You did a fantastic job! Saw that auction but the condition put me off. Re isopropyl, Maplin sells it in an aerosol. But I reckon vinegar/acetic acid would have had more cleaning power in this case anyway.

Cheers, man. To be fair I won it by accident. Had I seen the pictures properly I might not have bothered. It's also some kind of miracle that the guy bothered putting it online in the first place. I've learned something valuable from the experience no doubt.

Reply 8 of 27, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wanted to buy it but then saw the corrosion and rust... glad it went to caring hands and a good home 😀

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 9 of 27, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Whoo! That's a very nice card you've got there... Try playing some tracker music on it and see how well it can rock 😎

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 10 of 27, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

Whoo! That's a very nice card you've got there... Try playing some tracker music on it and see how well it can rock 😎

I know nothing about FM tracking - did a lot of composition back in the day with my GUS but have only recently heard about the Adlib connection. Where can I find out more?

Reply 11 of 27, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:

I know nothing about FM tracking - did a lot of composition back in the day with my GUS but have only recently heard about the Adlib connection. Where can I find out more?

OPLx (vogon member) has listed many OPL2 trackers on his website http://oplx.com/opl2.htm.

If I had to name one song to play on OPL2, it would be The Alibi by Laxity of Vibrants. The song is in D00 format, playable with Vibrants music player.
Here's a youtube video playing it in DosBox https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXto5fBFC1E

Nice sound card by the way. Pure Adlib-compatible OPL2 with standard (non-MIDI) joystick port. Amstrad card also connects the OPL2 chip IRQ pin to ISA bus, while an unmodified Adlib drives no IRQ pins by default (there's empty place for jumper pin headers). As most of the passive components are surface mount and on the back side of the card, it's hard to do any comparison with a real Adlib card. But what I could see from the blurry pictures on the net, the Amstrad card uses more common LM324D op-amp and (unknown to me) TDA7233 speaker amp, while Adlib card uses archaic RC4136N op-amp and common LM386N-3 speaker amp.

I expect there will be not much difference in the tone, unless the Amstrad card has very different analog filter.

Reply 12 of 27, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info - can't wait to try it out. Given the lack of info about this card maybe I will try to pull together some info about the chips. I'll do some recordings and upload them for comparison.

EDIT: forgot to mention I found a reference to this card in a thread 8 years ago by DonutKing.

Reply 13 of 27, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, after realising I hadn't tested the functionality of the game port, I plugged the board in a couple of weeks later and...

nothing.

It's dead 🙁

With little to lose I tried a bake and that had no effect. So now I'm considering the following options. I work at a university so software, equipment and components are plentiful in supply:

- Harvest the components and make Sergey's adlib clone.
- Harvest the components and make a replica of the rev.B original Adlib.
- Reverse-engineer the board I have.

Although the latter is clearly the most time-consuming endeavour, there may be some benefits:

- It appears to be a single-layer, double sided board.
- The card has a built-in game port.
- There are no other projects (that I know of) like the above that allow one to make their own OPL2 card with game port built in.
- I want to learn more about electronics.

Any thoughts?

The bad side is that I will have to de-solder, and probably test, every component on the board.

Reply 14 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know if harvesting the YM3812 and it's amp is so much worth the time... both are plentyfull and cheap - unless you have access to a good desoldering tool and can remove them easily.
I can vouch for Sergey's adlib clone, it seems easier to build since you can get a pcb from him - but the other card is looking better 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 27, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, no harvesting. The card is worth more to the community than the components are, so I'm going to go all in. I don't know how long it will take me but hopefully I can find a colleague in the electronics department who is also enthusiastic about the project and can advise me.

My aim is to produce schematics and component lists to those similar to Sergey's (open-source, of course), so that anyone with these plans can make their own OPL2 / game card. I may even be in a position to produce additional cards if there is enough interest, similar to keropi's Music quest clone and shock___'s GUS remake.

I notice that my card also the option to change the interrupt but that it is currently hardwired. If I can replace this with a jumper block, this may a useful feature (although I can't see how - 388H is expected by everything for compatibility reasons AFAIK). Obviously the IRQ jumper is for the game port only.

Reply 16 of 27, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Go for the reverse engineering. It's arduous but rewarding!

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 17 of 27, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No the interrupt is not for gameport. Original Adlib has a jumper block for irq selection but it is not soldered on.

Most likely not a big issue as it looks like a standard gameport with ne558. Most likely it gets its trigger from one of the ls138 chips and data is buffered by nearby ls244.

Reply 18 of 27, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The YM3812 has built-in timers and can generate interrupts with them, if the IRQ line is connected. Since the default was obviously 'not connected' it will be hard to find software that can take benefit.

1+1=10

Reply 19 of 27, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dumb suggestion, but do you have the means to check that the volume pot is working? Those things have always looked quite prone to damage.

As simple as the card is, I'd be inclined to think that it's a fairly simple fix.

Does it just not output sound or are there other indicators that it is dead?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.