VOGONS

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While running some slow benchmarks, I had some time to look through some of my old manuals and came across a couple that stood out:
-Aces of the Pacific requires 610,000 bytes of conventional memory and 311,296 bytes of EMS.
-To run Wing Commander II with EGA graphics and speech you need 618KB conventional memory and at least 64KB EMS. VGA with speech only requires 587KB.

What others are you aware of with high conventional mem requirements?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 13, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Duke Nukem II complains a lot, so I guess that one is worth considering seems to need at least 560K free, possibly more. I'd say it was just on the border of when you start having to skip loading drivers/TSRs to play it.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 3 of 13, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I really f...g hate DOS games that require EMS memory, why did they do not have an option to use XMS. I mean modern games like Alladdin, come on guys....

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 4 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember getting Terminator Rampage on CD from a friend. I don't recall exactly how much conventional memory it needed, but it was over 600k and I could not get anywhere near that with the CD-ROM driver loaded. I don't believe I was ever able to get it running.

*edit*, I just read this game is based on the Arena engine.

Last edited by Anonymous Coward on 2016-05-27, 06:39. Edited 1 time in total.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 13, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are a few demos, I don't remember which, that cannot run on DOS 6.22. They require a lot of conventional RAM (silly amounts) but won't run if HIMEM is loaded, DOS 6.22 cannot provide enough free RAM otherwise and therefore, the demo cannot be started or else it requires "application specific" tweaking to get there - this gets worse if you need to load drivers for the sound card and this isn't uncommon with the scene's love of the GUS.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 7 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why does the EGA version of WC2 need so much more memory than the VGA version?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 8 of 13, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC Frontier:First Encounters required approx. 620kB. Its predecessor Frontier Elite 2 was leaner on conventional memory but required at least 500kB EMS.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 9 of 13, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Comanche.

It has fairly high conventional memory requirements, coupled with EMM386 incompatibilities.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 10 of 13, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Why does the EGA version of WC2 need so much more memory than the VGA version?

Could be the EGA version only comes with all animation enabled. Wing Commander would leave out animations if memory was low. 618K is so high that it probably is lacking other optimizations, too.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 11 of 13, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't remember what its requirements were, but I do remember Jane's ATF giving me the most headaches when it came to memory issues. Also, Falcon 3.0, as kixs already mentioned. There was also this bizarre game called Noctropolis that was problematic as well. It was also one of the very first games to feature FMV nudity. 😊 Sadly, neither the game or the tits were all that great.

Reply 12 of 13, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

IIRC Frontier:First Encounters required approx. 620kB. Its predecessor Frontier Elite 2 was leaner on conventional memory but required at least 500kB EMS.

That is wrong.

I've already tested them both (german version) the last hour. Here the results:

Elite 2 Frontier needs at least 580kb conventional RAM and 768kb EMS RAM.

Bo3owxv.jpg wrvewbU.jpg

Elite First Encounters run at least with my XMS setting with mouse & CDROM drivers (556kb conventional RAM and 64MB XMS). No need of EMS.

EmeYNQY.jpg gWUhwdG.jpg

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 13 of 13, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Meh, so I was wrong. It's been more than 10 years since I played either. But I'm sure there was a version of FFE that required more than 600kB. I remember struggling to fit all drivers I needed (CD and mouse) and still have enough memory left.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O