VOGONS

Gateway LP Mini Tower KAD Select 800

Topic actions

First post, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK so acquired this computer last week it is very unique i did a fresh install of windows 98 se with the unofficial service pack and usb driver but it was missing some driver that i could not find at all so i went to windows xp pro sp3 (i know im a cheater 🤣 😵 ) but it actually runs really well with xp i turned of stuff i would never use, print spooler, search etc. if anyone has links to drivers and also bios upgrade that would be awesome i might consider going back to 98
Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon 800MHZ
RAM: 768MB
HDD: 2x 20GB Quantum
Video: Nvidia Geforce3 Ti 200 (what would be a better card in this i was thinking maybe a voodo3, i have always wanted to try a Matrox tho i wounder how good that would pair)
PCI Cards: creative 512 (also cant find 9x drivers), usb card, 3com Ethernet 3c905c-tx

Also im looking to use it for lite duty gaming like age of empires quake 3 maybe gta vice city and unreal tournament etc just let me know what your thoughts and opinions are.

Attachments

• untitled2.JPG
    Filename
    untitled2.JPG
    File size
    100.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • untitled1.JPG
    Filename
    untitled1.JPG
    File size
    107.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0943.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0943.JPG
    File size
    1.15 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0941.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0941.JPG
    File size
    1.12 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0940.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0940.JPG
    File size
    1.09 MiB
    Views
    File license

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 2 of 35, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yea that what i thought there is nothing mini about this its tall and heavy

Reply 3 of 35, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That was MY 1st tower as in 100% mine not the familys although mine came with a P2 400
I was thinking you had something like this
Gateway_400c.jpg

The annoying thing at least with the BX motherboard was if you tried to put a CD drive in the bottom bay the top corner of the motherboard hit the back of the CD drive so it would stick out and you wouldn't be able to screw it in.

Whats the motherboards part number? Gateway only disappeared form the web a few years ago so the drivers and manuals will probably be kicking around somewhere.

Reply 4 of 35, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nice i used to have the same gateway as u when i was younger it was my first pc also, ive been trying to get one of those again but i cant find it anywhere, but the sticker on my gateway slect motherboard reads p04c014025525138

Reply 5 of 35, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is that the only sticker? No doubt as you tired that gets no results.
What about BIOS, from memory it says the motherboard part number in BIOS or at the very least at the POST screen

Reply 6 of 35, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

in the bios it says it a gateway 2000, very confusing 🤣

Reply 7 of 35, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I take it there are no ISA slots?

Now that you got XP running, you can run some hardware tools that list all the components.

The chipset driver is something you defintely need for Windows 98 SE.

Do you need the network card? 3COM shouldn't be hard to find a driver. Same goes for the Sound Blaster, though if it's an OEM version it could be trickier. But Windows 98 SE compatible PCI cards are readily available.

Drop the RAM to 512 MB to be safe, otherwise unknown devices in Windows 98 SE don't hurt anyone 😁 Chipset, graphics and sound are the main ones.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 35, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

no isa, i did have everything working in win98se except for the amd chipset drivers i did have the sound blaster 512pci driver but i think it was a really outdated one tho, i did have a live ct4780 in it but i couldn't get the drivers from here to work with it

Reply 9 of 35, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Live! cards can be a pain to find the correct drivers for. One of the reasons I always use a Vortex 2 card 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 10 of 35, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

actually what i meant was i had the ct4780 but couldnt get driver to work so i put the 512 in and found drivers for that but i have like 6 of the ct4780s tho

Reply 11 of 35, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i probably should have started this in the help topics

Reply 12 of 35, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Had a bit of success!
Idle google for
KAD 800 found this
http://www.ubbcentral.com/store/item/VINTAGE- … 1754937009.html

So.. going from that looks like you have a Jabil Kadoka M/B
and googling that found this page I'm keeping for myself!
https://panam.gateway.com/support/supinfo/ind … =dt_mot099.html
Looks like we still need to narrow down which exact P/N you have but at least know which numbers to look for 😀
Sadly the download links no longer work but the specifications still do, so can get chipset drivers from somewhere else. Only the BIOS will casue trouble.
Other hits seem to confirm the board can handle 1Ghz CPU's (not sure if BIOS update is needed though)

Reply 13 of 35, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

very interesting, so weird that there is not a single capacitor on this board, im hopping i can find a bios upgrade cuz the bios now dosnt have crap at all for settings. I did find the chipset driver tho, but it still shows unknown pci device in win98se right now im running a dual boot 2x 20gb quantum drives one with 98 and the other with xp

Reply 14 of 35, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

after a few hours of searching i think i found the bios file here-->https://panam.gateway.com/support/drivers/get … 6&uid=491038151 i will give it a shot later and post back if it worked or not im pretty sure there is another sicker on my board that reads 4000673

Reply 16 of 35, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yea ill check the stickers on the board better ill have to pull the pci cards to get a better look and from what i researched this was the only amd kadoka board that gateway had and it supported 450mhz right up to 1ghz

Reply 17 of 35, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i looked over more and im already running the latest anyways but yes that bios is for my board 4000646 but this might be helpful if somebody is looking for it

Reply 19 of 35, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh my BX based Gateway had next to no options either, but that was rebadged Intel board as well so not really surprised.
If you google the device ID for your unknown device you may get a hit on what it is, its not like that motherboard has much more then the basics on it like, sound, video, etc