VOGONS

First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I've been playing around with the ATI Rage 128 Pro and would like to share my thoughts!

The ATI Rage 128 Pro

JlEigJDl.png

I admit it, Intel and Nvidia are my go-to brands when it comes to building a retro gaming PC! But the ATI Rage 128 Pro really impressed me. It offers decent gaming performance, especially at 32 bit colours it is right up there with the TNT2 Pro. The card I tested has awesome multimedia capabilities: Composite and S-Video outputs, composite video input and DVD acceleration.

I used the latest drivers from the AMD website and didn't run into any issues, but I only tested a handful of games and benchmarks, so keep that in mind:

5iPZMTKl.png

For the multimedia stuff you need the ATI Media Center. AMD doesn't have this on the website, at least I couldn't find it, but Elinda has it on his FTP server, he runs a website under the name retronn.de:

sg1C7Icl.png

Keep in mind that there are lots of OEM versions of this card. Some have narrower memory busses or are missing the multimedia capabilities. I got mine from Germany, eBay seller electromyne, they have lots of older graphics cards, not the cheapest place, but I bought lots of cards from them and they all worked.

The card supports AGP 4x. On a SIS chipset Pentium 4 system, Windows 98 would hang with AGP 4x mode, so just go into the BIOS and change this to AGP 2x. The card also worked great in a Slot 1 motherboard with Intel 440BX chipset.

The drivers have V-Sync options built in. V-Sync controls for OpenGL work as expected, but for Direct3D a reboot is required for settings to get applied. There are also some options for tweaks, palette textures and table fog are mentioned as well as options to with the Z buffer:

4CStVNil.png

AJ1R6vhl.png

Performance

In 16 bit the card is behind the competition:

flCS8Kmh.png

But in 32 bit it is very competitive and goes head to head with the TNT2 range of cards:

dLBYjeWh.png

m8yWpRNh.png

Here are all the individual benchmark results. Note that these are done on a fast P4 running at 3 GHz, all part of a larger Windows 98 benchmarking project I'm working on:

FiZYXSch.png

dPOQ2Noh.png

To5tbKLh.png

UhUmawkh.png

6uyIi9Qh.png

DiAoBirh.png

KJRgtgeh.png

TxxBmQNh.png

MD8i81Ih.png

Multimedia

Composite and S-Video works great. Works in DOS, BIOS screen and Windows. The driver has options to adjust the image, make in sharper and reduce flickering. Use S-Video for best quality:

AIbFDunl.png

TMjLkGHl.png

tVViVm8l.png

iF4Uw1pl.png

Video in also works through composite input. The Media Center software is required. Neat trick, you can display the video signal as desktop wallpaper. The software can also capture / record.

S5DHkBYl.png

jjyU7jSl.png

DVD playback worked for me on the P4, but I got a region code error on the P3. Tried a few things but couldn't figure it out...

JdZbDHsl.png

JZtGVP2l.png

Conclusion

- Had no driver issues
- V-Sync controls built into driver
- Some advanced options in driver
- Slow in 16 bit compared to competition
- Great in 32 bit compared to competition
- 16 bit image quality looks a bit rough
- Great multimedia features
- Careful with OEM cards
- Excellent VGA image quality

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 47, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was equally impressed with how much less 32bit color depth hits the Rage 128 compared to the competition. That is really impressive! Drivers are kind of a mess though, it took me a while to find the proper ones ( I don't think I tried looking at AMD's site, good call).

Reply 3 of 47, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

I was equally impressed with how much less 32bit color depth hits the Rage 128 compared to the competition. That is really impressive! Drivers are kind of a mess though, it took me a while to find the proper ones ( I don't think I tried looking at AMD's site, good call).

What drivers did you use and what issues did you run into?

Reply 4 of 47, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The ATI Rage 128 Pro was the standard graphics card shipped with the first G4 PowerMacs, supported by OS 8.6 onwards I think. MacOS had to have built-in support for them and its APIs for 3D presented less of a challenge, thus the drivers were of higher quality than their Win9x counterparts. Overall it was one of the better cards for that era of Macintosh gaming, including Connectix VGS hehe

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 5 of 47, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have had an Mac G4 with Rage128Pro once. It ran good and (I guess) ok enough on MacOS-9.
Though running OsX Tiger was a pain, even with 1gb of Ram.

On the other hand. If the Rage128Pro cards are fast enough, compared to TNT2-Ultra/Pro's,
then why not? Especially if they are cheaper than TNT2 card's.
Seem's like a perfectly sane choice for persons that are new to this hobby, and want a 1997
to 2000 era gaming machine. Just pair it up with a V2, seems like a good choice.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6 of 47, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for mentioning my site retronn.de
I basically had the same problems that some card software is not available at AMD anymore. I know that it often needs a bit search on the ftp to find stuff. It could be worthwhile to look at the original CD image for the Rage Pro 128 or even the one from the Fury MAXX.

So what clocks did your Rage 128 Pro had?
Also DVD acceleration features are a point where the chipset is ahead of the NVidia solutions. (iDCT etc.)
In the beginning the drivers were really bad (typical for ATi at this time). It got better when the card had aged a bit and thus it was very often used as mid/low end card later. There are a hell of versions (nearly as many as the Rage128GL), some even with deviating DEV IDs. These need a bit manual work to get it running in Win9x/2K as the driver installer complains about 'no fitting card detected'.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 7 of 47, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you for hosting these files!

True, the Fury MAXX ISO can be downloaded from the VOGONS driver archive, I think it also includes the Media Center, but I didn't think of checking.

PowerStrip reports 118 MHz for the core and 140 MHz for the memory.

Reply 9 of 47, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC for the Rage128, the paletted texture option is emulation and isn't real paletted texturing.

(and remember, do not forget r_primitves 2 in Q3, and "use opengl display lists" in the latest MDK2 version for that boost)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 47, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

What drivers did you use and what issues did you run into?

Seems like I was using the driver from AMD's site.

Rage 128 Pro

Almost exactly one year ago 🤣 .

Reply 11 of 47, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice write up, Phil! How did the 32-bit image quality compare to the TNT2 and Voodoo3? I know you said it was a little weak in 16-bit.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 12 of 47, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMO the title is misleading, as many of your tabloid-style subjects you choose(d).. 😢

Your benchmarks actually unveiled nothing unexpected. The card does perform exactly like expected. Not worse, not better.
The Rage128 has always been a competitor to the RivaTNT2 and does compete well, at least regarding speed and image quality, let's not discuss the inferior and more restrictive drivers.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 13 of 47, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

Nice write up, Phil! How did the 32-bit image quality compare to the TNT2 and Voodoo3? I know you said it was a little weak in 16-bit.

It looked great, didn't notice anything that looked off. 16 bit looked a bit grainy, but in motion it's hard to tell to be honest.

leileilol wrote:

IIRC for the Rage128, the paletted texture option is emulation and isn't real paletted texturing.

(and remember, do not forget r_primitves 2 in Q3, and "use opengl display lists" in the latest MDK2 version for that boost)

I see, is there a way to visualize this emulation?

Reply 14 of 47, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I find the post a great one since I was under the impression that rage 128 cards are rubbish, I just gave them away without thinking twice. Thanks for the info Phil !

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 47, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Voodoo cards prior to the Voodoo 4/5 cannot do 32bit color in 3D.

I will also be looking at these cards a bit more closely myself. I have a few and tended to not use them.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 16 of 47, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FGB wrote:

The Rage128 has always been a competitor to the RivaTNT2 and does compete well, at least regarding speed and image quality, let's not discuss the inferior and more restrictive drivers.

And this is exactly what I kept reading in forums!

So I was positively surprised and excited that I didn't have any issues. I did expect a lot worse. But like I said, I only tried a few games, your results may vary.

Do discuss the drivers please, always good to share experiences!

Reply 17 of 47, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

that card looks like a stripped down All-in-Wonder 128. No TV tuner and only composite input, weird. The normal AIW has a breakout box for the video input with both S-Video and Composite. Video output uses a short breakout cable.

Reply 18 of 47, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Voodoo cards prior to the Voodoo 4/5 cannot do 32bit color in 3D.

I will also be looking at these cards a bit more closely myself. I have a few and tended to not use them.

also the voodoo 4 4500 is not a lot faster than the 3000 in 16bit, and it loses a lot of performance in 32bit, it would be interesting to see the 4500 in the mix competing in 32bits.

but nice job, the test was interesting, I didn't expect it to be so close to the TnT2s (the decent ones, not the m64 obviously!)

also the Rage Theater chip capturing was interesting, I think my 8500LE had the same chip (at least it looked very similar),

I have 2 Rage cards but they are more basic and cut down models (and both are defective), and that's the problem over here, 99% of the TNT2s are M64, 99% of the Rage cards are the worst possible models

I have a question for the people experienced with these cards, the game Lost Vikings on my Radeon 9500PRO on DOS have a problem with the scrolling it's not smooth, while my other cards like Voodoo 4 and older 2D PCI cards perform nicely with it (on DOS, on windows 98 all cards have problem with it), I'm wondering if the older ATI cards also have this problem with scrolling on this game not being totally smooth,

Reply 19 of 47, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is a great resource for DOS compatibility: http://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

The ATI cards have a lot of red. Mostly scrolling games.

EDIT: Good point about the difficulties on getting the "proper" cards. 3dfx is good here, you know exactly what you're getting. Also going for the All In Wonder version, that should make it easier.

I got my 8500 that way, it made it easy as there are only 2 or 3 set versions of the AIW, but the non AIW ones are much harder to identify.