VOGONS

First post, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I have a Tualaron at 1.1 GHz and if I run it at 100 MHz FSB, which should work due to the Vogons Wiki. The card doesn't work at all (random squares on the screen). Does anyone know a fix? The card works perfectly at 66 MHz FSB.

Reply 1 of 12, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Test the card in another rig and to be on the safe side try different drivers just to make sure that the problem isn't software related. Chance are that it is drivers, the card not liking the fast system, or the card has a real problem.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

400 MHz CPU speed is a limit that I found to cause issues. But not in all games and not like you describe. In my case I saw textures colored differently in Expendable and Incoming for example.

Try it in an old Pentium to be sure it's not the card. And try DOS Tomb Raider to test without windows driver, cos that could also be an issue.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MrEWhite wrote:

I don't have Tomb Raider sadly, and on my PPro machine I get artifacts with it, but it works perfectly on my Tualaron @ 66 MHz.

There is a 3dfx demo version!

Reply 5 of 12, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:

I don't have Tomb Raider sadly, and on my PPro machine I get artifacts with it, but it works perfectly on my Tualaron @ 66 MHz.

There is a 3dfx demo version!

Ah, I found it. The game works perfectly with no squares @ 66 MHz, and on boot up it gives me the squares @ 100 MHz.

Reply 6 of 12, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only posted about this a few weeks ago.
It has nothing to do with the 100 FSB, it's the CPU speed that causes the problem. Your lucky it works at 733mhz.

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 7 of 12, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perhaps you can try digging into the BIOS and look for specific PCI related settings (for example latencies) and try setting them differently. Apparently there are CPU limits but maybe this can ease things up.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 8 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Imperious wrote:

It has nothing to do with the 100 FSB, it's the CPU speed that causes the problem. Your lucky it works at 733mhz.

^^

MrEWhite, do you have a CPU for testing that has a lower multipler? As low as possible...

Reply 9 of 12, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I come to think of it... I have run Voodoo Graphics (Voodoo 1) successfully on an Athlon XP that was overclocked to 2533MHz.
This is what I wrote (and tested of course 😀) on my website.

If you get a black or disordered screen after starting the game GTA either your board is defective or not compatible with your system. The Voodoo Graphics (SST-1) is old and might not work with faster processors (Depending on chipset/CPU combination. nForce2 with an overclocked AMD Athlon XP at 2533MHz is actually possible but an Intel Desktop Board VC820 wih 667MHz Pentium !!! might fail.) or large memory configurations. Try removing some internal RAM or swap/downclock your processor.

Interesting to see is that the 667MHz Coppermine didn't run with the Voodoo Graphics.

Nevertheless this isn't the answer to the question but it shows it doesn't have to be the CPU clock frequency. Don't give up yet! 😀

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 10 of 12, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Go to the 3dfxzone site and get the latest drivers. There is no cpu speed limit for this card. I used voodoo 1's in a newer quad core Athlon 2 setup and that cpu was running at 3.4ghz. Also make sure you pci buss is not over clocked, the voodoo 1 along with a lot of 3dfx cards hate over locked buss speeds. This is way it works at 66 fsb and not 100mhz, you dividers are setup wrong.

Reply 11 of 12, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Imperious wrote:

^^

MrEWhite, do you have a CPU for testing that has a lower multipler? As low as possible...

Don't have any thermal paste (in a couple days I'll get some, I'm thinking of trying a P3 1.4 @ 66 MHz to see if it i'll work, don't have any other S370 processors), and don't have a motherboard which can change the PCI latency.