VOGONS

First post, by frankmonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

its time to move on to the next Level after spending most of my time on the 486 rig.
I just got my hands on a Voodoo 5 pci and I am wondering what might be the best Hardware that does suit best for the voodoo5?
Of course I think it makes most sense staying on win98se but what motherboard and cpu you guys would build around the v5?
as far as I could read it makes sense buying a board that has pci-x for full 66mhz Support.

any help on this would be appreciated

thanks

Reply 1 of 14, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are look at the very least a pentium 3 or a athlon if you really want to get somewhere with that card and its a Good one, socket A or gag even a 478 box will get the most out of it. You don't need pci-x but it is fun to play with once you get bored of consumer level boards.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 14, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All you need is LOVE!

According to Osckhar from Spain the Voodoo 5 PCI can get much more perfomance than AGP2X version on slow mobos with AGP1.0. But it should be if you plug a card into 66MHz slot on fast platform (not P3 of course).
For example:
47934_top.jpg
nForce4 has Win98/ME drivers.

Reply 5 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's an interesting idea, but I can't help but think that you're never going to make a Voodoo 5 as fast as a Geforce 2 ultra from ~2000, so coupling it with a CPU from 2005 isn't necessarily going to change the experience much. I'd say any bargain bin P4 or Athlon system from 2002 or later is already going to be more than a Voodoo 5 can make use of, 66Mhz PCI or not.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 7 of 14, by frankmonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

how about the compability on winxp? will I run into any issues with glide games on this os?
somehow I cant take it that the agp is running faster than the pci card. thats the only reason why I want to use pci-x even if this is just a minimal Speed increase. hope you guys get me 😁

Reply 8 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
frankmonk wrote:

how about the compability on winxp? will I run into any issues with glide games on this os?
somehow I cant take it that the agp is running faster than the pci card. thats the only reason why I want to use pci-x even if this is just a minimal Speed increase. hope you guys get me 😁

I would start by looking for workstation\server motherboards. As mentioned, nearly anything from 2001 and later will be enough for a Voodoo 5, so any workstation board you find that is Socket 603\604, Socket 478, etc. that may have 66Mhz (usually longer 64bit-capable) PCI slots would probably work. Keep in mind, these boards aren't the usual consumer oriented boards most of us are used to. I've used server\workstation boards for home use before and they can be a bit fussy and have so many settings that were over my head that I had trouble pinpointing compatibility problems when they did arise.

I'm not that familiar with using 3dfx cards in Windows XP, but keep in mind that 3dfx was already gone before XP was released, so any games that make use of Glide (not to mention drivers) are going to be meant for Windows 98, ME, and maybe at the latest 2000. 2000 and XP are fairly similar, so I'm sure its possible to use them, but the best experience will probably be on 98SE or even ME.

Though, if you end up with some crazy dual CPU workstation board, it'll probably be more at home in 2000 or XP.

Reply 9 of 14, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks badass and extremely fast with it's mighty 2 processors and the very long pcb....... BUT IT IS NOT A FAST CARD.

In testing my voodoo's with a p3-s 1400mhz i found the agp version to be a bit faster.

But like phil said: a fast p3 (like a 850mhz or so) is all you need when you use the higher resolutions of the voodoo5 or AA. And for this you have a voodoo5, not for 640x480 right?

I think you only make the card running hotter on an extremely fast system, not much faster.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 10 of 14, by frankmonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@meljor
Thanks for your input but why would it run hotter in fast system. Would it run hotter due to fast CPU or other faster parts like the pci-x slot etc.
I mean, I can find a pci-x board and just place a slower cpu in it and just have the advantage of pci 66mhz compared to other boards. The pci voodoos are designed to work with 66mhz so I don't think they will run much hotter due to that.
Please let me know if I am wrong
Thanks

Reply 11 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
frankmonk wrote:
@meljor Thanks for your input but why would it run hotter in fast system. Would it run hotter due to fast CPU or other faster pa […]
Show full quote

@meljor
Thanks for your input but why would it run hotter in fast system. Would it run hotter due to fast CPU or other faster parts like the pci-x slot etc.
I mean, I can find a pci-x board and just place a slower cpu in it and just have the advantage of pci 66mhz compared to other boards. The pci voodoos are designed to work with 66mhz so I don't think they will run much hotter due to that.
Please let me know if I am wrong
Thanks

I believe he's referring to using a system that allows the framerates to go way higher than the V5 was ever normally built to handle, in situations that would have normally been CPU limited. Like, looking at a wall in Quake II or something, with Vsync off at 640x480 and no AA. The V5 might end up rendering a couple hundred frames per second, which is way way higher than 3dfx would have ever intended... especially in those days, when most people thought 30fps was smooth. Even 100fps is probably more load than the card is built for... and it goes without saying that those tiny heatsinks and fans aren't going to get any better as the heat output rises.

Reply 12 of 14, by frankmonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, got it!

So, the Pentium 3-S 1400mhz tuatalin doesn't seem or maybe does reach the limit since most builds are using this CPU. What would be the fastest CPU speed to use to avoid any problems with the frames. Would a dual core e1200 with its 1.6mhz (Single core performance) running win98 be too much for the voodoo 5?

Reply 13 of 14, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
frankmonk wrote:

Parus, this sounds intresting!

where can I find more Information?

If you want try to write him there: http://www.modlabs.net/forum/topic/15899/ He knows all about VSA-100 much more and better than you can see here at vogons. He will tell you exactly about enough CPU perfomance and resonable (or not) PCI 66MHz. He has a wide experience with different mobos with Voodoo4/5 and benchmarks. Remember that a same benchmarks results may be regarded different by different people. It is important everyone's own addiction and everyone may to look through his own addiction. Therefore I think you'll never can prove a lot of things to a lot of people. I advise: don't think about authentic P3 and at the same time don't exult to powerful Athlon-64. Just talk to Osckhar, he'll show you the facts and honest tests results.

One thing I can say exactly: if you want not only D3D but Glide too don't look at WinXP. Use Win98SE/ME and nothing more OSes.

I hope I said clear and you understood. My English is not well.

Reply 14 of 14, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Osckhar at ebay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/osckhar?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
He made a lot of Voodoo VSA-100 repairs, videochips and memory mods (210MHz), Voodoo4 with 64mb memory mod, Voodoo5 with 128mb memory mod, DVI out mod on AGP versions etc. And he is an author of unique AGP2PCI adapter especially for Voodoo5-6000 (and any other AGP2X card). I think if he believes that Pentium-3 is best system for Voodoo he would not make this adapter for AGP Voodoos, particulary for plug them into 66MHz slots at high-end Win9X machines like Athlon-64.