VOGONS

First post, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My 486 motherboard had a soldered on rechargable 3.6V battery, but it was removed so it wouldn't leak. I was adviced on this board to mount an external battery if possible, and it looks like it is possible. However, I'm a bit confused and need some more advice.

My board is very close to this one:
https://th99.bl4ckb0x.de/m/C-D/34280.htm

It's not 100% identical as some jumpers are placed differently, but it seems to be close enough.

The J6 is the connector for an external battery.

J6.jpg
Filename
J6.jpg
File size
207.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It looks like only pin 1 is connected to anything. Am I correct in assuming this should be soldered to the plus side of a battery holder? Shouldn't the minus side be connected to anything?

On the back of the board nothing except the soldering blobs are visible.

Reply 1 of 10, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can use a connector that is similar looking to the old CD-ROM audio cable headers.
Here is a site that provides some alternatives and tips: http://pc-restorer.com/replacing-cmos-b ... n-old-pcs/.

Reply 2 of 10, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the same setup on my 486. I ended up jury-rigging this:

486battery.jpg
Filename
486battery.jpg
File size
1.3 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I took a PC Speaker cable and cut the speaker off.
Then I desoldered a coin battery cradle from a spare dead motherboard.
I soldered the cable to the leads of the cradle. The connector on the cable plugs right into the battery headers and you just drop a CR2032 battery into the cradle.

That's just one way of doing it. Mine looks kind of ghetto, but it works.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 10, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The internal and external batteries are more or less guaranteed supposed to be connected in parallel. Just do continuity tests between the internal battery poles and each pin, and you'll find out which pole of the external battery to connect to which pin 😀

Any .10" hole pitch connector will do, the suggested CD audio connector for instance. If you don't have one of those, you could always trim down a spare IDE or floppy cable to size.

Reply 4 of 10, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> It looks like only pin 1 is connected to anything.

Multilayer PCB. The dark green (vs light green on the edge of the board) is copper of the inner layers. The ground pin will be connected there.

1+1=10

Reply 5 of 10, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why is it that 486 systems have stand alone batteries, but even right up to Pentium MMX/Socket 7 boards were shipping with those dumbass RTC modules? I legit don't understand why those were a thing at all and I was so happy to find out the 486 I was getting in a trade didn't have one.

Reply 6 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SRQ wrote:

Why is it that 486 systems have stand alone batteries, but even right up to Pentium MMX/Socket 7 boards were shipping with those dumbass RTC modules? I legit don't understand why those were a thing at all and I was so happy to find out the 486 I was getting in a trade didn't have one.

Who knows ? Perhaps this was about the same on late 486 boards, too.
The only explanation I can think of, is the rapid increase in CPU speed in the early-mid 90s.
Board makers *perhaps* simply didn't expect their boards to be so long in use. And so new designs were made this way.
I was around these times, but I was still using an 8Bit machine and then I also had a 286.
So I wasn't into the newest hardware and can only speculate.. However, I noticed all the jokes about PCs beeing
slow and outdated, as soon as you left the stores with them. Which makes me think there really was some truth within.
I mean, there were 486 overdrive chips for a reason. This was also mentioned in an earlier LGR video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt-0lqkJUKE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80486_OverDrive

The 486 was another beast. When it was introduced in the late 80s, it was considered to be absolute high-end.
This was before multimedia was a thing and before the 486 became a consumer's product.
Intel even made the RapidCAD chips for "old" 386 machines.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RapidCAD

PS. Sorry for my bad English, I've got a cold.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 10, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all the responses guys!

I confirmed with a multimeter that pin 3 and 4 both were connected to ground. The internal and external batteries are not connected, there is a jumper that switches between them. This is fortunate, because the internal battery is rechargable so there is a current supplied to the pins, but not to the external battery which meant I could use any kind of battery.

I used an internal speaker cable and soldered onto it a CR2032 holder. I'm not very good at soldering, so it looks like some kind of Frankenstein's monster contraption, but hey, it works like a charm! 😀

Reply 8 of 10, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SRQ wrote:

I legit don't understand why those were a thing at all and I was so happy to find out the 486 I was getting in a trade didn't have one.

It's not like they were expecting the machines to be in service almost 20 years later or something. 😒

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 10 of 10, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SRQ wrote:

But these 486s were expected to be?

Apparently yes. 😎

Although my opinion is heavily biased: I'm always in favor of 486 era machines when 386 (486 SX-25!) or early Pentium machines (486 DX4-133!) are involved. Just a personal flavour.