VOGONS

OpenGL on Rage IIc

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Everything I've read indicates that there is no OpenGL support for the Rage IIc. Can anyone confirm this? If not, can you point me to a driver that might add OpenGL support?

I have tested driver 4.11.2474 (the only driver for the Rage IIc on AMD's site) and can only get software rendering in Quake II.

edit: forgot to mention, this site has Quake II results for the IIc near the bottom of the page (comparing with S3 Trio 3D/2X), which made me think maybe there was a driver that added OGL support. For all I know, they are software rendering results, I don't see where they stated it was running OGL.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 20, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks guys. And no, there will be no miracles with the IIc. It got a whopping 290 in 3DMark99 1024x768 16bit. 🤣

So I'll just be moving on from this card then.

It has two things going for it: runs super cool, without even a heatsink, and has nice 2D display quality. I was touching the core during 3DMark and it barely got warm.

Reply 5 of 20, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can anyone clarify if Rage IIc is an improved Rage II+ or a stripped Rage Pro? Which driver set does it use?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 20, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Can anyone clarify if Rage IIc is an improved Rage II+ or a stripped Rage Pro? Which driver set does it use?

According to Wikipedia:

The 3D Rage IIc was the last version of the Rage II core and offered optional AGP support.

Techpowerup says the IIc is based on the Mach64 GT IIC graphics processor. To me that sounds like it is not a stripped Rage Pro, but rather a revised previous gen Mach64.

AMD's legacy driver page only offers 4.11.2474 for the IIc. I'm guessing that was the last driver revision to support the IIc.

Reply 9 of 20, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm curious why Rage IIc even exists if it's really a Rage II. Rage Pro was supposed to be the successor to/improved version of the Rage II+, with the main added features being AGP and OpenGL support. As far as I know they were both released around the same time, and both can be used as drop in replacements for the Rage II+ cards. I just want to know why ATi would develop two separate products when it would be way cheaper/easier to just strip a Rage Pro.

I'd just like to see some official ATi product literature that explains this once and for all.
Just something to take into consideration:

-The ATi VGAWonder GT was not a VGA Wonder. It was a relabeled Graphics Ultra. (for marketing reasons)
-There exists a VGA1024 that is based on Mach32, rather than a VGAWonder like every other 1024 card.
-The Rage Pro sucked, so they tried renaming it the Rage Pro Turbo to trick people into thinking it was faster

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11 of 20, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I'm curious why Rage IIc even exists if it's really a Rage II.

I believe it was a high-volume, low-cost, entry-level graphics card. If you search 'rage iic' in the PC Mag archives there's a bunch of hits in 1998 and they are typically advertised in budget systems, with the higher-end models sporting the Rage Pro.

Reply 13 of 20, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Rage IIc has working Win3x-drivers. It seems that these are "patched" VESA-Drivers, but they are working fine. RageProLT has no working Win3x-drivers, even with the WFW/or patched VESA-Drivers I only get a corrpted screen. Beside that RageIIc is working with Amithlon-Boot-CD. RageProLT not. I this can be patched later, I don't know. I only made a first boot. I am currently searching for games that support the RageII(c) directly.... Does onyone have a good working wrapper for OGL? I would love to play some DoomGL on it, because my PCX1 does not work with this.

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 14 of 20, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rage II/II+ has ATi original OpenGL drivers for Windows NT 3.51, i have not tested them (OPGL351.EXE and OPGL351.TXT)
maybe they work with Rage2c AGP cards also somehow, but for sure they are for RageII and RageII+ earlier ATi videocards.

OPGL351.EXE 714,6 kB Display Driver with OpenGL support for ATI 3D RAGE II/II+, this is release R101.16 of the ATI 3D RAGE II June 26,1997 - Windows NT 3.51 OpenGL driver.

Also we have Windows NT 4.0 driver with OpenGL support for 3D RAGE PRO and 3D RAGE II+ / II - release 4.3.92 of the ATI October 8,1997 (nt404392.exe and nt404392.txt)

nt404392.txt readme has available OpenGL driver support info for theses cards and systems:
3D RAGE PRO: Windows NT 4.0 (ON WEB and ON CD) , Windows NT 3.51 (ON WEB, N/A ON CD)
3D RAG E II/II+: Windows NT 4.0 (ON WEB, N/A ON CD), Windows NT 3.51 (ON WEB, N/A ON CD)

ON WEB - The driver is available on h t t p : / w w w . a t i t e c h . c a
ON CD - The driver is available on CD ROM.

NT3.51 drivers without OpenGL i have for Rage Pro :
Anybody has file or file name for Rage Pro and NT 3.51 drivers with OpenGL support, like OPGL351.EXE is for RageII/II+?
I hope someone can share those missing files. If anybody needs RageII/II+ NT OpenGL drivers, i can share. Thank you!

Rage2 WinNT OpenGL drivers:
https://www.upload.ee/files/15435715/winnt-ra … rivers.zip.html

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 16 of 20, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rage2/2+ Nt3.51 OPGL351.EXE driver has two OpenGL files inside: atiogl.dll (this is old ati3dcif.dll 4.03.2150 file) and second is igxogl.dll. Someone should test this driver out with PCI version Rage2C first and upgrade atiogl.dll (ati3dcif.dll at least to 4.10.2661) for Rage2/2+ it should just work.

3dcif files:
https://gona.mactar.hu/ATI3DCIF/drivers/all_ATI3DCIF_DLL.zip
https://gona.mactar.hu/ATI3DCIF/

Rage2C PCI card:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/3d-rage-iic-pci.c874

This should be NT3.51 Rage2C drivers, cant unpack these japan drivers so easly to see inside:
https://ftp.zx.net.nz/pub/archive/ftp.compaq. … 000/sp13626.txt
https://ftp.zx.net.nz/pub/archive/ftp.compaq. … 000/sp13626.exe
With Japan OS or some unpack trick should help to extract these files, message it gives:
Cannot be run in US mode or some similar text in dos and windows98.

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 17 of 20, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have rechecked the performance of the IIc with K6 2/350CXT and it's sooo poor...
...image quality is great though, but performance...man...the mystique 220 4MB drives circles around it...

Due to the very poor performance I will stick to the mga myst220 PCI in that machine.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 18 of 20, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another thing to add to my "digital archaeology" list, I have to find the HDD from the machine I had setup with a RageII+ DVD and the late "minigl" type driver that worked with that. That was early oughts, so probably had the best available by then, but don't know if it was the latest. It was 1990s standard "playable" i.e. 15+ fps on the lower res setting of Q3 engine stuff. I believe it may have come from Rage3D.com available for download in 2001, not sure how many site redos they've done since and how apocalyptic they were (old stuff deletion rather than just hard to find)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19 of 20, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2023-07-14, 15:50:

I have rechecked the performance of the IIc with K6 2/350CXT and it's sooo poor...
...image quality is great though, but performance...man...the mystique 220 4MB drives circles around it...

Due to the very poor performance I will stick to the mga myst220 PCI in that machine.

I know, Rage2 is for 2D and Rage3 is for 3D, i would love to see Rage Pro with OpenGL stuff @ NT3.51, but seems that Rage3 cards where oriented more NT4 and up. Old ATi website said somewhere@wayback that RagePro PCI cards are for NT3.51 and not AGP one (for AGP use regular driver).
I do not have NT3.51 installed at the moment. 😀

If you want more out of rage2c i would use rage2-tweaker, still missing two working zip files (vbfix.zip and vbocx.zip)
Rage 2 Tweaker Runtimes download link works with right click, but both files are @ 131kb and broken.
https://web.archive.org/web/19981206122726/ht … linds/vbfix.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/19981206073307/ht … .uk/~conb/rage/
I think even after some tweaks the Rage2 line still cant handle 3d @ mininal 20-30fps@ok res.