VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got two YMF724F-V from different brands in two different computers that have the exact same problem : duke 3D crashes the whole computer (hard reboot is needed) when I activate the sfx (the midi and XG wave are working fine though). I always thought that it was due to the missing SB_link, but I just received two of them and I plugged one in my pentium 2 and ... well the exact same thing happens.

Do I have to do some specific thing to make the card "know" that it has now a new connection into the motherboard ? Is there something else that I could do wrong ? (the chipset is the classic i440BX)

Only duke 3d seems to have this problem though, doom, wolf 3d, etc don't have any issues on the other hand
EDIT : Oh I forgot, I'm running these games under windows 9x, not pure DOS

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1 of 28, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Go to the section Duke Nukem 3D "echo" crash patch (04/18/2000-04/26/2000) on this page Ken Silverman's Build Engine Page and try DUKSNDFX.EXE

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 2 of 28, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I already tried this (I hadn't the sb_link though) but my problem doesn't happen during game anyways ... it happens even in the setup menu at the EXACT moment it tries to play a sound (for example when I want to test if the sfx are working, the computer freezes). The same with the game : I can't even see the first animation (right before the title menu) because it make sound and so the computer freezes before I could see anything ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 28, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the same problem. I found out that 8bit/11khz setting resolves it - the game starts normally and sound is ok, but low quality of course.
I have many YMF724 cards and all of them have the same problem with or without the SB-LINK. Tried every PCI slot in many mainboards (socket 7, slot 1, socket 370), different driver combinations, windows 98 service packs, assigning isa/pnp in bios and nothing. It seems thats just the way it is. Maybe some internal YMF724 incompatibility. Who knows... It would be nice if anyone would write if he had make it working.

Reply 4 of 28, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PC/PCI is only used from real dos, you'll need to configure the card with the dos drivers.
Those yamaha cards had very crappy drivers, VXD not only didn't work with many dos games but also caused windows to crash. Also midi failed even on some windows games. Try the WDM drivers, those were more compatible but some dos games had distorted sound.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 5 of 28, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Where could I find them ? I just downloaded the drivers from the yamaha website and there is only one available for windows 9x

Reply 7 of 28, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay so I only tried that today (my windows installation was kind of broken and I didn't want to reinstall everything the last time. But I did it today) and it works !
Thank you !

However now, when I launch doom, sfx are good too, but after a while they start to be a little bit garbled ... And also I don't have access to real OPL3 sound now (or maybe I did something wrong when selecting the adresses) but anyways, I think that I'll just use the previous drivers and add a sound blaster vibra in that computer in order to have no problem with sfx compatibility whatsoever and then use the YMF724 for windows and midi sounds. I'm planning to use an AWE64 with the YMF724 at the end, but I don't have one at the moment.

Reply 8 of 28, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Which drivers did you download? VXD or WDM? which version? I'm a bit shocked you that you have succesfuly ran DUKE3D under windows 😒 I would give my hand cut that I installed these drivers and still had problem with running DUKE3D. Which card did you choose in DUKE3D setup? SB 16? SB PRO? which resolution? 11KHz or 44.1KHz? Stereo or mono?

Please give as much detailed informatikon as possible. PLEASE!
I want to reproduce it on my machine!

Reply 9 of 28, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did a quick test. I installed the WDM drivers. I chose the sound blaster pro 2.0. I used the regular resolution, and I *think* that I used 11KHz in stereo (like I said, this was a quick test). Resolution has nothing to do I think. My computer crashed within the setup menu if I tried the sound test. There, it didn't. And it didn't too when I played the game of course ^^

Reply 10 of 28, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You guys have something else going on... I can run Duke Nukem 3D just fine with that card. MS-DOS or Windows.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nmgq1ntc2pdtzdl/Yam … etable.mp4?dl=0

Reply 12 of 28, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got windows 98SE and I didn't install directx at that point. The computer is a pentium 2 400 overclocked to 448 mhz. The chipset is an i440BX. I've got 128MB of ram and my video card is a tnt2 m64.

I checked my duke 3D setup and I was correct, 11khz, stereo, sb pro ...

Reply 14 of 28, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just tried the shareware version of Duke 3D (don't have the full version at hand), and it works fine. Testing on a 440BX, YMF724 using SB-Link (PC/PCI, S-IRQ) and detected as SBPro 2.0 without any issues in MSDOS 6.2.

This shareware version doesn't seem to have the option to toggle 11KHz in its setup menu, unless I'm missing something?

Reply 15 of 28, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, and here lies the problem. I have a full CD version of DUKE3D and setting everything higher than 11khz hangs my pc. What a pity you cant test in on retail version 🙁 YMF7x4 would be my dream card if it only wanted to work with everything. There are more games that are incompatible with it. Blood & Magic for example has high pitched noise/tone instead of normal sfx.

All the informations about this card and problem solutions are as gold for me. I just need to find the right hardware/software combination, provided that such configuration exists of course.

Reply 16 of 28, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ I have a YMF724 DOS compatibility thread that I try to maintain - if you come across any other incompatibilities, I'd appreciate it if you could post the games and setup here, so that everything is in one place:

Yamaha PCI YMF-724 DOS Compatibility Thread

When I get time, I'll try to test and resolve any issues - I'm short on time at the moment. I've found this PCI card more compatible from my tests than its ISA cousin - the YMF71x.

I'm planning on more comprehensive testing using YMF724/YMF744/YMF754 across Win9x and various chipsets when time permits.

BTW, I'm using a YMF724F - there are earlier versions of this chip. Which one are you using? Also, I've got the retail version of Duke 3D somewhere buried in a pile of boxes - if I find it, I'll check it out.

Reply 17 of 28, by Doppler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have 724E-V and 724F-V. Both behave exactly the same.
If it's important to you: I tested both chip revisions on Intel 865PE, 815E and ALi Aladdin V, under Windows 98 SE (with lots of different service pack/direct x/updates combinations). Still on every chipset/software it hanged DUKE3D with high quality sound settings. Only 8-bit, 11kHz worked flwlessly.

Last edited by Doppler on 2016-11-28, 14:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 28, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ Hmm, I'll definitely put this test on my to-do list. Can you confirm you've tried SB-Link on a 440BX using PC/PCI as the DMA option, and S-IRQ as the IRQ option in pure DOS ?