VOGONS

First post, by jerrycjyueh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys! I just get this old Socket 7 motherboard from the auction website, but I can't find any manual or jumper instructions on the web 😵
I have no idea how to set it up in the right way, so if anyone ever seen or used this board before, please teach me how to let it work, thanks!

Photos Here : http://imgur.com/a/0BjmW

Board Model : SMT5TA-2.3 (Manufacturer maybe is SMT or NewTech?)
Chipsets : Intel 430FX
CPU Model : Pentium SU072/VSS (166Mhz 3.45V?)
EDO RAM : Panasonic MN4117405BSJ-06

*Sorry for my bad English ability, I'm Taiwanese 😀
*This Board is older than me 😲

Reply 1 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's an older AT-style motherboard without ATX power connector. You will need to either find a working AT PSU or use an ATX one with an adapter.

The memory is in the first bank and needs to be installed in pairs (looks to be setup correct on your board).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 11, by jerrycjyueh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

It's an older AT-style motherboard without ATX power connector. You will need to either find a working AT PSU or use an ATX one with an adapter.

The memory is in the first bank and needs to be installed in pairs (looks to be setup correct on your board).

I have an ATX to AT adapter 😊 and both EDO memory installed in SIMM1 and SIMM2 slot

bbhaag wrote:

Is this the right board? The layout looks very similar to your pictures.

Yes! This is SMT5TA jumper manual 😲

Although the JP numbers are not completely match, but it's really helpful 😀

------

Just a moment ago, I follow the jumper settings (CPU 3.45V) on the manual and connected the power supply to test this board, but when I turn on the power, nothing shows on the screen 😵
I am sure that CPU/Chipsets and SRAM will be warm when the power is on... I don't know why the screen and speaker have nothing output.

If you guys have any idea, please tell me, Thanks!

rgDQfTil.jpg

*The Graphics Card is S3 Trio64V2/DX
*I have tried different jumper settings but nothing happened...

Reply 4 of 11, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

could just be a bad board, if someone removed every jumper it may have been to add them to spare parts before getting rid of the board

Reply 5 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No beep codes?

Do all the components work in other systems? If you know everything works except for the motherboard, then you'll at least know it's the motherboard.

Reseat everything and be minimalistic when running diagnostics (least amount of memory modules, no sound card, etc).

Reset the BIOS (you could leave the battery out for a while). I'll typically do 24 hours and spend the rest of my time on other projects.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 11, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let's get to it. Start from start:

Push down any socketed chip (I am not saying to bend the motherboard). 😵 😵

Look for shorted caps, although I don't know if this apply to this Motherboard (I have been using
this trick on newer motherboards).

Push down the chipset (hold steady) and turn on the PSU. Doing so, you will known if there is
something wrong with the solder if you get to the POST (POST screen).
* Checking if the chips are getting warm is important, too, including the CPU.

Take out the BIOS chip carefully. Dude, you really want to know what you are doing here.
I have bent some of those chips along the way. When putting it back to the socket, put it
in the correct orientation (there is a guide, a mark on the motherboard and on the BIOS chip).
Maybe there is rust on the metal. but i didn't see anything (just a shattered label).

Just some long shoots. Good luck.

Reply 7 of 11, by jerrycjyueh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
candle_86 wrote:

could just be a bad board, if someone removed every jumper it may have been to add them to spare parts before getting rid of the boardI

I hope not 😲 this board still looks good

Tetrium wrote:
No beep codes? […]
Show full quote

No beep codes?

Do all the components work in other systems? If you know everything works except for the motherboard, then you'll at least know it's the motherboard.

Reseat everything and be minimalistic when running diagnostics (least amount of memory modules, no sound card, etc).

Reset the BIOS (you could leave the battery out for a while). I'll typically do 24 hours and spend the rest of my time on other projects.

CPU and RAM are fine, I think maybe is the chip on the board or power supply circuit have some problems (No any beep sound) 😵

I tried took out the battery for 24 hours and replaced the new one, unfortunately this board let me down again.

Frasco wrote:
Let's get to it. Start from start: […]
Show full quote

Let's get to it. Start from start:

Push down any socketed chip (I am not saying to bend the motherboard). 😵 😵

Look for shorted caps, although I don't know if this apply to this Motherboard (I have been using
this trick on newer motherboards).

Push down the chipset (hold steady) and turn on the PSU. Doing so, you will known if there is
something wrong with the solder if you get to the POST (POST screen).
* Checking if the chips are getting warm is important, too, including the CPU.

Take out the BIOS chip carefully. Dude, you really want to know what you are doing here.
I have bent some of those chips along the way. When putting it back to the socket, put it
in the correct orientation (there is a guide, a mark on the motherboard and on the BIOS chip).
Maybe there is rust on the metal. but i didn't see anything (just a shattered label).

Just some long shoots. Good luck.

Good suggestions 😊 but the chips looks welded well (no pseudo soldering or short)

I think that BIOS IC more than 20 years old, maybe it's already broken 😢

------

Thanks for you guys replied, I tried many different way to boot it, but still got nothing.... 😐

So I use my voltmeter to measure the input voltage from power supply, the result is 4.88V and 11.89V (It should be 5V and 12V), maybe the voltage is too low resulted in the chips can't work?
(BIOS IC get 4.86V, PCI slot get 4.89V) (I tried give 5.03V to BIOS IC from mobile power bank, but nothing happend 😵 )

ZUOjcOKl.jpg

Reply 8 of 11, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jerrycjyueh wrote:

So I use my voltmeter to measure the input voltage from power supply, the result is 4.88V and 11.89V (It should be 5V and 12V), maybe the voltage is too low resulted in the chips can't work?

Nope, that's not it. This means the opposite, that your PSU (at least for the measured figures) is OK.

Reply 9 of 11, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jerrycjyueh wrote:

but the chips looks welded well (no pseudo soldering or short)

Good.

You are pretty good diagnosing motherboards. Could you please explain how to measure the BIOS chip ?

jerrycjyueh wrote:

It should be equal or even 5% below or above (12V = 12.6V or 11.4V). I think only at 10% you should start worrying.

Someone throw a lifeline, cause I am out of ideas.

Reply 11 of 11, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jerrycjyueh wrote on 2016-11-17, 14:11:

Just a moment ago, I follow the jumper settings (CPU 3.45V) on the manual and connected the power supply to test this board, but when I turn on the power, nothing shows on the screen 😵
I am sure that CPU/Chipsets and SRAM will be warm when the power is on... I don't know why the screen and speaker have nothing output.

A bit of a long shot but you could try with an ISA video card if there is any screen output at all.