VOGONS

15kHz RGB 200p DOS Gaming

Topic actions

First post, by BubbaMc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apologies if this is the in wrong section. I posted this at another forum but figured it may be of interest to some of you here also.

I've got a Sony BVM A series monitor that gives a bloody amazing picture especially when fed with a 15kHz signal.

One thing that always bugged me about old VGA DOS games is the blocky graphics (the true resolution is 200p, but the VGA cards internally upscaled the output to 400 lines).

What I plan to do is use a TSR to convert the video mode to 15kHz in order to output a true 200p signal. I'm confident this will work as one of the guys over at the Shmups forum has had success, however he only tried a few games and left it at that.

This is the sort of result I'm going for: http://imgur.com/r/crtgaming/8Q1vf

Note that was done with DOSBox but I'll do it with real hardware.

I'll be in a position to do this in a few weeks (just waiting on some parts I've ordered). If I'm successful I'll make a list of games which work and will be happy to answer any questions if you want to give it a go yourself!

Does anyone have requests for games they want photos of? The more suggestions the better as I'm looking for new games to try myself.

Has anyone tried something similar?

Cheers

Reply 1 of 22, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought about doing this at one point cuz i to have a sony bvm that i use for my N64, SNES and Sega Genesis and the coolers on the bvm look amazing.

If you do get this going please share what parts and cables you used to make this work.

Heres a few games id like to see: Wolfenstein 3d, doom, im also curious about these non dos games as well, Unreal tournament and Age Of Empires.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 2 of 22, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a thread I started on running S-Video output directly into by Sony PVM. Some games look great!

Anyone use the TV Out from videocard?

Playing Descent on the PVM with a Hanaho is a great experience!

image.jpg
Filename
image.jpg
File size
207 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 22, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BubbaMc wrote:

What I plan to do is use a TSR to convert the video mode to 15kHz in order to output a true 200p signal. I'm confident this will work as one of the guys over at the Shmups forum has had success, however he only tried a few games and left it at that.

It's not a "true 200p" signal, unless your PVM/BVM/XBR supports 70Hz vertical retrace, which I suspect it doesn't.

Drivers like VGA-TV and Arc-mon are hacks, not something I'd want to rely upon for my "day to day" DOS gaming.

Good luck to you though. I've been able to DOS game on my 29" PVM using my Sega Teradrive, which has a pseudo-CGA mode capable of displaying mode 13h and mode X games on 15kHz displays (the VGA chip is a WD90C10). It cannot display 640x480 content in this mode, however, which I suspect the aforementioned software hacks might be capable of pulling off.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 22, by BubbaMc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

It's not a "true 200p" signal, unless your PVM/BVM/XBR supports 70Hz vertical retrace, which I suspect it doesn't.

You're right, it doesn't. Also, VGATV only supports a 60Hz (or 50Hz) output which is disappointing.

SquallStrife wrote:

Good luck to you though. I've been able to DOS game on my 29" PVM using my Sega Teradrive, which has a pseudo-CGA mode capable of displaying mode 13h and mode X games on 15kHz displays (the VGA chip is a WD90C10). It cannot display 640x480 content in this mode, however, which I suspect the aforementioned software hacks might be capable of pulling off.

Very interesting! Did you notice any screen tearing or scrolling issues due to the 60Hz refresh? BTW anything 640x480 native I'll display on a regular monitor. Going to try and setup 2 graphics cards, one AGP and one PCI so I can switch between modes easily.

The 29" PVM and Teradrive are two pieces of equipment I'd love to own one day.

Reply 6 of 22, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll be monitoring this thread in case something new comes out of it, I'd love to use my 1084 for DOS stuff 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 22, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are schematics out there to convert HSYNC+VSYNC to CSYNC so at least this is not a problem. I'm more concerned with the 70Hz refresh rate. You might want to select a monitor that can manage multiple refresh rates, like a European TV. As they can do both 50 and 60Hz, there is a chance it's a range of accepted rates, and you may be able to display something outside of it. If it does, the picture would appear fine and that would be the end of it. If it doesn't and you're lucky, the picture would be vertically challenged and you would want to dive into the service menu to correct the aspect ratio. Setting the picture is annoying and you want to dedicate a display to your PCs. If you're unlucky, the picture would be rolling and there would be nothing you can do about it.

Reply 10 of 22, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ist it just simply this cable and the tsr-driver?

Attachments

• Filename
    65028_EN.pdf
    File size
    181.46 KiB
    Downloads
    150 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 11 of 22, by BubbaMc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jarreboum wrote:

There are schematics out there to convert HSYNC+VSYNC to CSYNC so at least this is not a problem. I'm more concerned with the 70Hz refresh rate. You might want to select a monitor that can manage multiple refresh rates, like a European TV. As they can do both 50 and 60Hz, there is a chance it's a range of accepted rates, and you may be able to display something outside of it. If it does, the picture would appear fine and that would be the end of it. If it doesn't and you're lucky, the picture would be vertically challenged and you would want to dive into the service menu to correct the aspect ratio. Setting the picture is annoying and you want to dedicate a display to your PCs. If you're unlucky, the picture would be rolling and there would be nothing you can do about it.

VGATV will lock the output to 60Hz, so it'll work but may create scrolling or tearing issues. To fix the aspect ratio, tweaking the vertical size is all that would be needed,

The ideal monitor for DOS would be a Wells Gardner, these are the only ones I know of which will sync from 50Hz to well beyond 70.

Reply 12 of 22, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

No, definitely not this cable, it reads in the PDF you linked.

Usually for PC VGA output to TV SCART input you need to take in TTL level separate syncs (H+V) from VGA and combine them to video level composite sync (about 0.3Vpp into 75ohms) and feed it to TV. Video goes through the RGB interface directly. The Epanorama circuit with XOR gates and transistors did the job fine. Some VGA cards may be able to output TTL level composite sync directly, but that's another story.

Reply 13 of 22, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BubbaMc wrote:

The ideal monitor for DOS would be a Wells Gardner, these are the only ones I know of which will sync from 50Hz to well beyond 70.

Well, the ideal monitor for DOS is a 31kHz VGA monitor. 😉

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 14 of 22, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh and only signals from a CGA or EGA card can possibly work with a simple cable and a TV. VGA is minimum 400 lines, mode 13h is rendered at 200 lines but then line-doubled by the graphics card to output 400 lines. In order to display VGA on a TV, you want to discard every odd line to get the original render back. For that you need a special device, like an Extron http://scanlines.hazard-city.de/

Reply 16 of 22, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has anyone used an ArcadeVGA video card with a BVM? My PVM doesn't accept VGA, or I would have tried it (I have an old AGP ArcadeVGA that was based on a Radeon 7000 or something).

Reply 17 of 22, by BubbaMc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jepael wrote:
dr.zeissler wrote:

No, definitely not this cable, it reads in the PDF you linked.

Usually for PC VGA output to TV SCART input you need to take in TTL level separate syncs (H+V) from VGA and combine them to video level composite sync (about 0.3Vpp into 75ohms) and feed it to TV. Video goes through the RGB interface directly. The Epanorama circuit with XOR gates and transistors did the job fine. Some VGA cards may be able to output TTL level composite sync directly, but that's another story.

I recommend the Extron RGB 203xi for sync processing (as a bonus it does VGA input switching and pass-through also).

Reply 18 of 22, by BubbaMc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
boxpressed wrote:

Has anyone used an ArcadeVGA video card with a BVM? My PVM doesn't accept VGA, or I would have tried it (I have an old AGP ArcadeVGA that was based on a Radeon 7000 or something).

Your ArcadeVGA outputs a 15kHz signal that the PVM (and BVM) loves.

Easiest solution:
1. Regular VGA monitor cable between your video card and sync processor
2. Extron 203xi sync processor (or other Extron models)
3. BNC->BNC RGB video cable between the sync processor and your PVM

Last edited by BubbaMc on 2016-12-06, 04:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 22, by BubbaMc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:
BubbaMc wrote:

Well, the ideal monitor for DOS is a 31kHz VGA monitor. 😉

15kHz progressive beats line-doubled VGA every single time 😉