VOGONS

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi everyone. I've got a raspberry pi running raspbian connected to my retro PC network. It acts like an internet router, NAS and PXE boot server. However PXE being very "late" in PC history, it only works with computers that have PCI slots because no ISA network cards have rom software to boot on PXE.

However, I've found out that all of the network cards that supports a ROM can boot from RPL which would be really handy. The problem is that I have no idea of how it works. There are few informations on the internet on how to do that, but it's incomplete.

The server seems to be working, but I don't have any clue on how to setup the config file in order to send a valid bootable image to the computer.
When I start up my HP 486 which has a 3com etherlink III and a boot rom on it, it detects the server, but booting on the image sent do not work.

Here is the my config file

HOST {
ethernet = 00:20:af:c8:5e:d7;

FILE {
path="/rplboot/images/DOS7.img";
//offset=0x52EB;
length=0x5A0;
load=0x1000;
};
execute=0x1000;
//pacing=2000;
};

"DOS7.img" is in fact just a windows 98 boot floppy image

According to the manual of the boot rom, I can do even more interesting stuff such as booting on a hard disk image. But again, I have no clue on how I could do that ...

Does anyone have tried this ?
Thanks for help 😀

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative