VOGONS

First post, by compgeke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First off, I'd like to thank oeuvre for linking me to this thing. Without him this would probably be heading to scrap already.

This is that Quad, wait, make that a Dual 486 box that was mentioned over in the ebay finds thread, original post here: Post 561732 .
nkMAkQrl.jpg JGMw3vel.jpg 0gQANgkl.jpg

I managed to grab it as the only bidder and picked it up a few days later. One thing I wasn't aware of was the sheer size of the thing, it's absolutely gigantic. Full dimensions are 29 inches tall, 32.5 inches deep and 7.75 inches wide. Total weight with the UPS is 110.9 pounds (I shit you not).

PQEiI9Pl.jpg
Getting it home in the back seat of a Toyota Avalon

So, the specs on this thing (when I got it):
Dual 486 with 2x 50 MHz 486 DX50s. That's right, DX50s.
lX7mMYhl.jpg
Shoot, those are cache controllers not two more CPUs
0FdKKIjl.jpg

What looks like 12x 4 MB RAM sticks. It has a total of 24 slots.
P6bTXJjl.jpg

NCR 77C22 VGA Graphics onboard
zipzVdhl.jpg
Not sure what the 8088 does, but you can see the VGA controller above it

NCR Dual Channel SCSI Controller, not sure which model yet but it's based on the 53C700 chip
onZRDvil.jpg

Buslogic BT-646S/D SCSI Controller, nothing hooked internally only being used for external SCSI. I stole this and threw it in my PS/2 P70.
no picture!

SMC 8013EP/A Ethernet Card. Stole this and threw it in my PS/2 P70 as it has native packet drivers. The P70's IBM LAN Adapter/A now resides in the NCR.
xou6JMIl.jpg

NCR MPCA/MCA Multiprotocol Communications Card
JpBHXKul.jpg

525 MB QIC Tape Drive
Toshiba XM-5301B 4x CD-ROM (dated '95, it's newer than the rest of the system).

Now, as to the problem with it. The ebay listing stated "Does not power on but in fair condition". They're not wrong, it won't turn on. If you try this is all you get: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Un66hZxf4 . That's after removing a bad capacitor, before it did even less.

What's the deal with that? Why would it be doing that? Oh I dunno, only that the PSU has suffered a catastrophic failure. There's a choke that's been hot enough to burn the insulation off the wire, burn the paper beside it, delayer the bottom of the PCB and it arced over onto the casing. There's also a cap that was severely bloated, leaking and it apparently got hot enough to melt some wire insulation to it. Not good.
mRgFNxnl.jpg
The observant will notice that's not the original fan. It wouldn't spin well, a video of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uMxvRfavtU
c6Gldtql.jpg
15mDP0vl.jpg
Wkak7rBl.jpg

As for what went wrong and fixing the PSU, I don't know. I can only hope the problem is that capacitor shorted (between 5V and ground as a filter cap) and it's what led to insane current draw through that choke and all the heat damage. The system itself doesn't have any noticeable ground faults or damage anywhere so I assume this is all localized to a PSU failure. The bad fan and cap probably didn't help anything. Unfortunately SMPS PSU repair is a bit above my ability but I'll try and see what I can do, I certainly don't want to break it more.

Anyway, here're some more pics of the system. For full res pictures see the imgur album here: http://imgur.com/a/0C2JM . Warning: Album has a lot of 1-2 MB+ pictures.
zrDOzsHl.jpg
Yeah, I took this one with a different camera. Is it obvious?

jAGvinpl.jpg

FpaByAal.jpg

XxuhmYrl.jpg
All the SCSI devices connect via caddies into this backplane system. I'm very very very very thankful I got 4 HDD caddies plus the two external SCSI caddies and the floppy one with this.

mXf3vgDl.jpg
There's a case closed switch and a "Use the UPS or no?" switch". The red\black unplugged cables with spade connectors are actually for the system clock\memory battery. It's a little 6V Lead Acid that goes there, http://i.imgur.com/FfIYQAP.jpg .

cOA6AFLl.jpg

Last edited by compgeke on 2017-03-06, 07:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 50, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you have two boards with CPUs on them? The chips with the heatsinks are likely the actual CPUs, the chips next to them are , from what I can see in the pictures 82495 cache controllers and the little chips under the heatsinks are the l2 cache chips. I ask if you have two boards because if not, it's only a dual CPU. Still cool and I hope you get it working.

Reply 3 of 50, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a beast! Absolutely tremendous system you have there.

I remember passing by and seeing it but being all the way over here in the UK I was powerless (no pun!) to do anything about it.

You've wrote this thread at a really good time, I'm right into dual 486 CPU servers at the moment and appreciate you taking the time to post pictures along with the write-up.

That riser board is insane! Also, the soundFX from the PSU in that clip sounds a bit creepy, cry for help maybe?

So is the system after all a dual or quad system?

If/when it's up and running, will you be willing to take benchmarks of the systems performance?

Again, fantastic system!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 50, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm liking this trend of these early duel socket systems resurfacing 😀
Next to no real use now but massively high end at the time, servers were rare enough let alone something like this!
Look forward to seeing it live again

Reply 8 of 50, by compgeke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm going to make this post here as a bit of an information post based on what I can gather from old ads and stuff, nothing at all related to repairs but some history is always nice.

So, the NCR System 3450 was originally released in Q2 to Q4 1991 or possibly even later. with a base price of $35,000 up to a top end config of $200,000 according to the Sep 24, 1990 issue of Network World. The top end config was 4x 486 DX50, 256 MB RAM, 6 GB Internal SCSI disks and 50 GB External based on this issue. Lowest end config was dual 486 DX50s, 4 MB RAM and unspecified disk. The only operating system it ran at the time was AT&T UNIX System V.

The October 21st 1991 issue of Network World actually shows a config very similar to what mine is. The config in the ad is a 2x 50 MHz 486DX, 32 MB ram, token ring controller, ethernet controller, 525 MB tape drive and 2.8 gigs of hard drive storage. All for a nice low, low price of $69,785. Mine's a 2x 50 MHz 486DX, 48 MB RAM, ethernet controller, multiprotocol adapter, 525 MB tape drive and according to the build sheet 1.5 gigs of storage. It'd probably have been very similar in price, having a bit less storage space but more ram which was equally as expensive.

This system wasn't cheap as you might be able to tell, a fair amount more than a comparable ALR PowerPro at the time. An ALR PowerPro SMP 512 with 2x 50 MHz 486, 49 megs ram, 2.1 gigs storage, dual SCSI controllers, dual NE3200 ethernet controllers and two token ring controllers was only $32,552.

A Compaq SystemPro with Dual 33 MHz 486s, 4 gigs storage, Compaq IDA controller, dual NE3200 ethernet and dual token ring was $51,272.

Later on in its life, the operating system support increased, gaining SCO UNIX support, OS/2 support (of some version or another) and eventually Windows NT. It's notable that this system is actually SMP vs ASMP so it might actually be a bit more usable with NT and OS/2 vs the Compaq System Pro which was only kind of somewhat proper under NT.

Reply 9 of 50, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

Next to no real use now

Gotta have them... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RitHgCBNrNs 🤣

Btw... did you manage to get that Novel dos share server up and running?

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 10 of 50, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
compgeke wrote:
I'm going to make this post here as a bit of an information post based on what I can gather from old ads and stuff, nothing at a […]
Show full quote

I'm going to make this post here as a bit of an information post based on what I can gather from old ads and stuff, nothing at all related to repairs but some history is always nice.

So, the NCR System 3450 was originally released in Q2 to Q4 1991 or possibly even later. with a base price of $35,000 up to a top end config of $200,000 according to the Sep 24, 1990 issue of Network World. The top end config was 4x 486 DX50, 256 MB RAM, 6 GB Internal SCSI disks and 50 GB External based on this issue. Lowest end config was dual 486 DX50s, 4 MB RAM and unspecified disk. The only operating system it ran at the time was AT&T UNIX System V.

The October 21st 1991 issue of Network World actually shows a config very similar to what mine is. The config in the ad is a 2x 50 MHz 486DX, 32 MB ram, token ring controller, ethernet controller, 525 MB tape drive and 2.8 gigs of hard drive storage. All for a nice low, low price of $69,785. Mine's a 2x 50 MHz 486DX, 48 MB RAM, ethernet controller, multiprotocol adapter, 525 MB tape drive and according to the build sheet 1.5 gigs of storage. It'd probably have been very similar in price, having a bit less storage space but more ram which was equally as expensive.

This system wasn't cheap as you might be able to tell, a fair amount more than a comparable ALR PowerPro at the time. An ALR PowerPro SMP 512 with 2x 50 MHz 486, 49 megs ram, 2.1 gigs storage, dual SCSI controllers, dual NE3200 ethernet controllers and two token ring controllers was only $32,552.

A Compaq SystemPro with Dual 33 MHz 486s, 4 gigs storage, Compaq IDA controller, dual NE3200 ethernet and dual token ring was $51,272.

Later on in its life, the operating system support increased, gaining SCO UNIX support, OS/2 support (of some version or another) and eventually Windows NT. It's notable that this system is actually SMP vs ASMP so it might actually be a bit more usable with NT and OS/2 vs the Compaq System Pro which was only kind of somewhat proper under NT.

I wonder if it would work with windows 2000. Might would.. since it works with WindowsNT.

Reply 11 of 50, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm glad it went to a good home with an owner that will fix it up and put it to good use. Looking forward to hearing more about this project.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 12 of 50, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is clearly the most involved 486 system I've seen. It seems like you can use a second CPU card and make this a quad-486DX50 system. Is that correct?
It would be really interesting to see how far the CPU in this beast can be upgraded. If you would like to maintain the 50 MHz bus, then perhaps a pair of Am5x86-150 CPUs on an interposer with a VRM.

Are those all EISA slots? And why does it look like the MCA card plugs into part of an EISA slot?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 13 of 50, by compgeke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In theory I might be able to take it to Quad 486s. I'd need to figure out what the big backplane connector is and solder two new ones in then find another CPU and another RAM card. It'd be damn near impossible to find those, I seem to have the only one around.

These're all actually MCA slots except one special slot for a proprietary NCR video card, also impossible to find.

Reply 14 of 50, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

haha, well, I've never seen an MCA system in the flesh. They were rare, expensive, and had a short lifecycle. Hope you get this up and running.

Reply 15 of 50, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not heavy enough. Needs more full height 5.25" Micropolis SCSI hard drives.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 16 of 50, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It would be nice if you could find a colour matching 5.25" drive to occupy the top empty drive bay.

Reply 17 of 50, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Everything about this system makes me quiver in my privates. It's the trifecta for me. MCA, obscure, dual cpu...

I find it rather interesting about the power supply, A 1KW supply today is probably 1/4 of the size, and can do the job at 95% efficency. I would probably re wind the choke, repair the traces and replace EVERYTHING on that board. All new mosfets, caps, etc.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 18 of 50, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This system is supported by NT 3.1 for multiprocessing, one note in the HCL though.

Only the NCR 53c710 SCSI Host Adapter is supported in this machine.

Windows NT 3.51 HCL also supports the system for multiprocessing too, no additional notes.

Windows NT 4.0 HCL lists the NCR System 3450, but using Pentium CPUs, so it may or may not work.

These systems use halncr.dll "NCR System 3000 Model 3360/3450/3550" for multi-CPU support. When you get the system running, you might have to manually select it if installing NT.

Windows 2000 will never work as it dropped Microchannel support.

Reply 19 of 50, by compgeke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

It would be nice if you could find a colour matching 5.25" drive to occupy the top empty drive bay.

Unfortunately I'd need a proprietary caddy for it, which I don't have. I did manage to find the missing blanking plate floating around inside the case though so now it has no empty holes.