VOGONS

First post, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I posted earlier about using an AT motherboard in an XT case. I got a deal I felt I could not pass on on an old XT case. The general consensus was yes it should work fine. Now the next step is to figure out what I should put in it beyond that it is AT form factor.

I have anything from a 486DX to a AMDX5, to a LX or BX based Pentium 2 or 3, and pretty much all the Socket 7 options in between. I'm interested in doing a WOW that is weird and unexpected kinda build.

Reply 1 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To me the pentium 2-3 would be the most unexpected thing to see ^^

If there ever was an AT pentium 4 motherboard, it would be even more surprising

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 8, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

To me the pentium 2-3 would be the most unexpected thing to see ^^

If there ever was an AT pentium 4 motherboard, it would be even more surprising

A few people have told me these boards exist, for industrial purposes. They're very obscure, but I have heard they go for hundreds if not thousands of dollars each (putting a lot of new technology in a board using a 30 years old form factor)

The fastest I've seen is an industrial board that takes supposedly all socket 370 Coppermine Celeron chips, but it was something like 800 dollars.

In my collection, I have a PC chips board with a slot 1 p2 400 mhz running in it, it's a board with socket 370 or slot 1 capability and is in a small enlight case, it's almost a retro sleeper rig 😀

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 3 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have 3 slot 1 AT boards. One is by PCChips and two are made by ATC I've not really used the PCChips one but the two ATC are fsb66 only unfortunately (LX or EX chipset). However using a slotcket, I could probably use a very quick celeron

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think you could conceal the keyboard with either an AT model F, or a model M. I think it might even be possible to use the original XT keyboard with an adapter.
The monitor would be lot trickier, obviously.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 8, by Maeslin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's actually a Socket 478 Baby-AT board made by Commell/Commate; the P4XB. Probably rare as hen's teeth, but hey... P4 in XT case! 🤣

Other alternative might be the SuperMicro P6DGH. It's a full size AT board with support for dual Slot 1 processors up to 600MHz and up to 2GB of RAM. Has onboard Ultra2 SCSI, nine PCI slots, an AGP slot, two ISA slots, and an onboard Intel i960 I2O buffering system with up to 64MB of dedicated RAM. Some people have had success running it with 800+MHz Coppermines.

p6dgh.jpg

Turns out there's also the Corvalent Gator AT; Pentium M / Celeron M Baby-AT motherboard.
53216-4812857.jpg

Reply 7 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even though the top one seems to be excellent, the bottom one seems to be something like the "ultimate AT mobo" ^^ : because at least it would fit in about every AT case 🤣. And it's allowing you to make the most powerful PC with ISA slots while being able to use a very outdated case. That's probably the board that phil would need to make a "6 in 1 PC" 🤣

Reply 8 of 8, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maeslin wrote:
There's actually a Socket 478 Baby-AT board made by Commell/Commate; the P4XB. Probably rare as hen's teeth, but hey... P4 in XT […]
Show full quote

There's actually a Socket 478 Baby-AT board made by Commell/Commate; the P4XB. Probably rare as hen's teeth, but hey... P4 in XT case! 🤣

Other alternative might be the SuperMicro P6DGH. It's a full size AT board with support for dual Slot 1 processors up to 600MHz and up to 2GB of RAM. Has onboard Ultra2 SCSI, nine PCI slots, an AGP slot, two ISA slots, and an onboard Intel i960 I2O buffering system with up to 64MB of dedicated RAM. Some people have had success running it with 800+MHz Coppermines.

p6dgh.jpg

Turns out there's also the Corvalent Gator AT; Pentium M / Celeron M Baby-AT motherboard.
53216-4812857.jpg

Wow both those boards look AWESOME. New ebay searches setup. Check. Probably won't get either one cheap.