VOGONS

Optical serial mouse?

Topic actions

First post, by m5215tx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am starting to get back into using vintage hardware that does not support PS2 or USB connections so that means using the old serial mouse for getting around in DOS/Windows. I forgot how bad the old ball mouse types work. 🤣 I did some searching and could not find an optical type mouse for a serial connection. Does one exist or is there some kind of way to convert a PS2 or USB optical mouse to work on a serial port? I sure hope so as this ball mouse is getting tiresome really quick!

Roland MT-32 (old), CM-32LN, SC-55, SC-88VL, MT-120, SD-35, SD-20, SD-80, SD-90
Yamaha TG100, TG300, MDF2, MU15, MU100, MU2000EX + PLG150-DR + PLG150-PF + PLG150-VL
KORG NS5R, X5DR
AKAI SG01k
KAWAI GMega
KETRON SD2

Reply 1 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a couple way back in the day. The only problem was that you had to have a special mouse pad with a grid printed on it.

Looks like you can get brand new serial optical mice off of eBay for cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=isa+ps%2 … +mouse&_sacat=0

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 21, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PS/2 to Microsoft Serialmouse Adapter Converter / Updated First Post / Firmware Update added

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 3 of 21, by m5215tx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

I had a couple way back in the day. The only problem was that you had to have a special mouse pad with a grid printed on it.

Looks like you can get brand new serial optical mice off of eBay for cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=isa+ps%2 … +mouse&_sacat=0

Yes I saw those and from what I understand they don't work too well. I was wanting a traditional optical mouse that could work on a serial connection. So far though I do not see that in existence, unfortunately.

Yamaha TG100, TG300, MDF2, MU15, MU100, MU2000EX + PLG150-DR + PLG150-PF + PLG150-VL
KORG NS5R, X5DR
AKAI SG01k
KAWAI GMega
KETRON SD2

Reply 4 of 21, by m5215tx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
matze79 wrote:

Very interesting but soldering is something that I am awful at so building one is outside my skillset. Does anyone sell pre-built ones in some type of enclosure?

If this device works as well as stated I would be willing to pay someone some decent $$$ to have 2 or 3 built with come type of enclosure on them.

KORG NS5R, X5DR
AKAI SG01k
KAWAI GMega
KETRON SD2

Reply 5 of 21, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another option is, of course, to get one of the higher quality serial trackballs; those are usually nicer to use than a ball mouse. I have a Kensington Expert Mouse 2.0 hooked up to my retro machine even though it has a PS/2 port. CH Products also has a pretty sweet one, but those are more expensive on the current used market.

Reply 6 of 21, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a HP PS/2 optical mouse from the mid-2000s plugged into my DOS machine with a passive PS/2->serial adapter. There is absolutely no indication anywhere that this mouse supports the serial protocol, but it does. If you have a drawer full of PS/2 mice, just start trying them.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 7 of 21, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

I have a HP PS/2 optical mouse from the mid-2000s plugged into my DOS machine with a passive PS/2->serial adapter. There is absolutely no indication anywhere that this mouse supports the serial protocol, but it does. If you have a drawer full of PS/2 mice, just start trying them.

What exact model number etc would this one have, I wonder ?

Reply 8 of 21, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's this one:

CameraZOOM-20170606111921413.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20170606111921413.jpg
File size
195.73 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
CameraZOOM-20170606111908540.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20170606111908540.jpg
File size
183.47 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It's actually connected through a PS/2 KVM (the output cable from the KVM is connected to the PS/2->serial adapter on the DOS machine.) I just tried it directly connected & it doesn't seem to work that way. I suspect either the KVM is doing some signal buffering (likely) or translation (unlikely - specifically says in the manual that it doesn't support serial mice), or it's just providing the extra power that the optical mouse needs.
(EDIT: this was wrong - see below. It doesn't support serial mice for input but will output serial signals with a PS/2 mouse connected, essentially acting as a signal converter.)

You might be able to make one work with an adapter that taps a 5V line from somewhere to power the mouse? Not sure.

Last edited by xjas on 2018-06-01, 07:45. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 9 of 21, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is likely the KVM that converts the PS/2 to serial protocol. Those optical mice don't even have the serial protocol implemented AFAIK, because there is no point since the serial port can't power them.

Reply 10 of 21, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That Compaq mouse looks suspiciously like a Logitech.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 12 of 21, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
EdmondDantes wrote:

I hope its okay to bump an old topic.... I wanted to ask xjas the name/model number of the KVM he's using?

It's a MasterView Plus CS-9138 (this one.) I found the documentation after I posted above and confirmed it does do signal conversion, so you can plug a PS/2 (only) mouse in and it can provide a serial mouse signal to the PC through the PS/2 outputs (with a suitable adaptor.)

I haven't found a USB mouse that will work with it over a USB-PS/2 dumb adaptor though (even ones that I know support PS/2 signalling when directly connected.)

Reply 13 of 21, by p4xp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to bump this again. xjas, do you mind sharing more info on the PS/2 to serial adapter you use? It seems that multiple pinouts exist for these, and I'm considering getting that KVM for PS/2 to serial conversion. Would be nice to know for sure what signals the KVM expects.

Reply 14 of 21, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Koltoroc wrote on 2017-06-06, 20:18:

...because there is no point since the serial port can't power them.

Actually, the serial port provides power but not enough for an optical mouse, which draws about 100 mA way higher than a regular serial mouse:

PC serial mouse uses typically DRT and RTS lines for generating +5V power for microcontroller circuit in the mouse. Because typical optomechanical mouse also needs power for 4 leds in the optocoupler movement detectors, there is not much power to waste. Typical PC mouse might can have the following power requirements: "+15V 4mA -15V 4mA" (taken from Microsoft mouse bottom).

This article is very interesting on how to draw more power from the serial port: https://www.epanorama.net/circuits/rspower.html

I have a wireless PS/2 mouse also serial compatible which draws about 70mA.

Attachments

My best video so far.

Reply 15 of 21, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would a serial port have enough bandwidth at a fast enough speed to be able to transmit the optical data ...Optical usually runs at a much higher DPI than any serial mouse can or could and requires a fairly fast data line. I wonder if the IC controlling the serial port would be the key here, possible to change it for a faster one ?

I guess what Im saying here is, is the refresh rate of your common serial controller high enough and fast enough to support the high refresh rate and DPI of an optical device ? regardless of the power issue that is.

Reply 16 of 21, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PS/2 port bandwith is 7-12 kbit/s lower than what you can theoretically achieve on the serial port, but PS/2 can deliver 275 mA. I don't think the bandwidth is the problem...

Clearly ... since there are wireless solutions for a serial mouse, the same receiver can be used with an wireless optical mouse but I don't know if any manufacturer did bother to make such a couple...

Edit:

How about this AMIGA optical serial mouse? Is the DB9 port on the Amigas not standard?

Attachments

• amiga_optical1.png
    Filename
    amiga_optical1.png
    File size
    274.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

My best video so far.

Reply 17 of 21, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found this also. 😀

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 18 of 21, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
OMORES wrote on 2023-02-21, 14:02:

How about this AMIGA optical serial mouse? Is the DB9 port on the Amigas not standard?

No, Amigas work more like a bus mouse.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19 of 21, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Caveats with older optical mice, I've had them and treated them as consumables back in the 90s. Firstly as mentioned there's the OG ones that need a special pad, secondly there are optical mice that don't need a "special" pad, many made up into start of millenium were like this, but they are picky about which surfaces they track on. "Normal" mouse pads for the time, you could generally see a fabric weave on them, and they were fine on this, but they hated a too finely grained surface. Think their "cameras" were too low resolution to pick up motion on something not very textured. Also they had weaker illuminators that had problems with certain colors. So I'm saying, be prepared, get a vintage optical mouse and it won't be 100% the same as using a modern optical mouse.

Another thing that might trip you up mixing newer peripherals to older hardware is that peripheral integrated CPUs like the 80188, V40, that might have been used in XT class models, and possibly some embedded 386 types, had a built in serial port, usually this is the first or only serial port on constrained form factor machines. This nearly mostly worked like a regular serial port, apart from when it didn't. So it may or may not play nicely with a serial mouse, with my suspicion that it's a bit current limited and opticals are likely to strain it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.