VOGONS

First post, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I've recently obtained a Compaq DeskPro EN P450, which has an onboard ESS 1869 audio setup.

I've set up Windows 98SE, added Phil's "Super Easy" DOS mode setup and then added ESS 1869 specific configuration details to the AUTOEXEC using the package at vogonsdrivers as a base.

SO far I've had luck getting the SoundBlaster portion working in DOS, but not the FM Synth. I've run DXDiag in Windows, and selected the ESS FM synth as midi device and that worked successfully, so I believe the hardware is present, but I've yet to get anything in DOS to use the FM Synth - although I've only tried Apogee games so far, it's what I had on hand.

Any suggestions as to what to take a look at? I do want to note I've been relying on the onboard speaker for sound, which seems to work for everything else.

Reply 1 of 10, by manbearpig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The hardware is present, because the FM synth is built into the sound chip. ESS chips are more or less fully integrated and don't rely on too much on external hardware. Wavetable being an exception.

The ESFM synthesizer supersedes OPL3 so any game that has programming for that should be able to use it.

Premio 212B motherboard (MSI MS-6112)
Intel PentiumII 333MHz Slot 1 66MHz bus
384MB ECC 66MHz
SIIG ATA133 controller --> Seagate Barracuda 80GB
SIIG Gigabit Ethernet (RTL8169) / USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 controller
ESS 1869 soundcard on board wavetable synth

Reply 2 of 10, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do understand that the ESSFM supersedes the OPL3 - but I quite simply can't get anything to output sound on an OPL3 setting so far.

Nothing crashes or anything, there's just no sound.

Reply 3 of 10, by manbearpig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you tried the drivers on this site? http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid= … menustate=45,35

I believe that computer is new enough to have a plug n play BIOS, which should make it easy.

Also, have you tried running your games in Windows?

Premio 212B motherboard (MSI MS-6112)
Intel PentiumII 333MHz Slot 1 66MHz bus
384MB ECC 66MHz
SIIG ATA133 controller --> Seagate Barracuda 80GB
SIIG Gigabit Ethernet (RTL8169) / USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 controller
ESS 1869 soundcard on board wavetable synth

Reply 4 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it's not complaining about the FM being missing then maybe the mixer setting is just set to zero for some reason. Try setting everthing to maximum with ESSVOL or whatever it's called.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 5 of 10, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, the short answer is that setting all of the volumes in ESSVOL seems to have gotten it functioning.

The long answer:
I decided to go to a clean DOS 6.22 install to reduce the number of variables to deal with. At first, still no dice, volumes on what I thought were the relevant channels (Master Volume, Synthesizer esp.) were set to 8, which is half volume. Still no luck.

I went ahead and set everything to 15 (Max Volume) which of course made things very noisy as the mic and line inputs were now enabled. That said, now the synth worked. I then turned the Master Volume down as well as the volume on the mic and line inputs, and the synth continued to work.

Not sure if it's an oddity of the implementation in this Compaq or if it's perhaps a bug in ESSVOL, but it seems to be sorted. Now to put 98SE back on there and make this back into the general purpose 90's gaming machine I was planning it to be - and hopefully still have the synth sorted.

Reply 6 of 10, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, the saga continues.

Reinstalled Windows 98SE and the synth stopped working.

Attempted the same fix once I was in MSDOS mode - set all of the volumes to max in ESSVOL. No luck. I can't seem to get the synth to work.

I read somewhere that it could be the WDM drivers in WIndows somehow impacting it - I swapped over to the VXD drivers from Vogonsdrivers, still no luck although the Windows control panel now lists the Synthesizer as a controllable option.

Any other suggestions?

Anyone else have a similar issue with an AudioDrive and WIndows 98SE's DOS mode?

Reply 7 of 10, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

... And then I messed around with some BIOS configurations, reset to defaults and then maxed the synth volume and it worked again.

Really wish it was consistent.

Reply 8 of 10, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've also had trouble with some SFF Compaq desktops + onboard ESS but did not get around to mess with the mixer.
It seems it's not a hardware defect, we need to dig a bit more on this...

Reply 9 of 10, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since the ESS 1869 is Plug&Play, have you checked if perhaps Windows 98SE simply changes the i/o address of the FM port, which would explain it no longer working..?

Last edited by derSammler on 2017-06-15, 05:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 10, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's quite possible - the synth was working pretty well after my last post. I've put the machine aside for a short time to work on another project, I'll post when I pull it out next.