VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

I've been meaning to ask this question for quite some time so here it is: what is your favorite DOS floppy disk imager?
Mine was Oliver Fromme's HD-COPY , I really like this program and it's GUI but it has serious issues with 360kb and 720kb floppy disks, the images it creates are garbage... The visual representation of bad tracks and/or retries is really useful to detect and replace bad disks or have it read it a bazillion times until one successful copy is made 🤣

I know konc uses FreeDOS's discopy successfully and I kinda like TeleDisk but the weird format puts me off.
I want something that can create good IMG files from standard unprotected (or even easily-bypassed with light protection) floppies from my originals. 99% of mine don't use a keydisk or anything special, they rely to doc checks. Big plus if it auto-detects the media and does not require entering parameters etc

I have thought the possibility of getting a kryoflux-like device , maybe that's the way to go? On the other hand it's a 100+ eur investment and I am not really interested in the exotic ultra-detailed format these devices offer...

Anyone here has a recommendation? Surely there is something I am missing out there 😊
TIA for any info/tips!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 28, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VGAcopy and DXP.

The first one seemed to do better copies and detect bad tracks / sectors. DXP could only copy unprotected floppies, but could compress data and put commentaries on the image (also, it made EXE images so no unpackers were needed).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 28, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

KryoFlux is probably the way to go eventually. I don't like the advanced formats in general, they're all only kind of marginally useful before they have support in DOSBox.

WinImage serves me just fine so far; it's read my damaged disks with enough retries. Haven't had the program or 98SE meddle with disk contents, including boot sectors. I'm still looking for recommendations for the DOS-only scenario as well.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 3 of 28, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ddrescue under linux. It's designed for reading dodgy disks. It will maintain a log of any errors so that those sectors can be reattempted later, without losing the existing progress. You can even piece together an image from multiple drives if you find that they're having errors in different places.

Reply 5 of 28, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I usually use a tool that generated uncompressed 1:1 binary images of a disk for simple data. This has the advantage that it can be used by various programs, like *.VCP from VGACopy and *.IMG for Winimage, which is interchangeable.

In DOS I like to use VGACopy or DCP.
In Windows WinImage is ok, despite its really bad interface.

For everything else I use KryoFlux.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 6 of 28, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

for some reason I never liked VGACOPY, is there a link for DCP? Is it disc-copy-pro or something?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 28, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is this one ftp://retronn.de/dos/Disk_Tools/DCP.EXE

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 10 of 28, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

here are my vgacopy-collections. I still use this today because it's great.
http://forum.classic-computing.de/index.php?p … 91806#post91806

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 11 of 28, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DCP.. "DCP" always reminds me of an operating system from former eastern Germany. 😉
Operating system DCP (translated),Rare Robotron EC 1834 computer

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 28, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WinImage for me too. It's so simple to use a USB FDD under Win10 to write working DOS floppies I haven't really bothered to try anything else. These days very few programs seem to work fine with the latest hardware and Windows, so I can't really say anything bad about it. Then again, I don't use it for backups or other important stuff, only for transferring DOS files.

Reply 13 of 28, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I wouldn't use WinImage for any imaging anymore after its read error dialogs you'd have to accept and its unsolicited replacement of the boot sector.

I'm not quite sure how people manage to screw up their boot sectors with the program. I have to assume they had already lost the original boot sectors for one reason or another.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 14 of 28, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does WinImage change the boot sectors always ?
Even if it is only beeing used to dump original floppies/media ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 15 of 28, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No.

Windows can overwrite the OEM string in a boot sector unless you keep things write protected. Viruses can overwrite them too, or disk copies may not reproduce original boot sectors. Don't know under what conditions those WinImage images with replacement boot sectors are made, assuming even that their source is an actual disk.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 16 of 28, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zup wrote:

VGAcopy and DXP.

The first one seemed to do better copies and detect bad tracks / sectors. DXP could only copy unprotected floppies, but could compress data and put commentaries on the image (also, it made EXE images so no unpackers were needed).

Sorry, I thought we were talking about DOS software to make floppy images.

Out of DOS, my choice would be old reliable dd. It can only copy unprotected and undamaged floppies, but being so simple has its advantages.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 17 of 28, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been using Daniel F. Valot's ARDI and/or EMT tools since 1995 when I ran DOS and OS/2.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150731070645/ht … :80/emtcopy.htm

The website can be a bit confusing and it seems like older versions are no longer available unless you visit archive.org. Even then, many of the download links are bad or incorrect. Versions 4.36 and 4.39 were solid for both DOS and Windows. I have uploaded them to the VOGONS Drivers page. Here's the link for this excellent software:

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1081

This is very good software that seems to be quite obscure. I think it should be saved for posterity.

Last edited by KT7AGuy on 2017-08-09, 00:58. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 18 of 28, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

wow VGAcopy, i remember i used it sometimes but i can´t really recall for what game i used it , or what was the PC Game that needed that software.

On the other hand I DO remember the WIN95 floppy discs needed something like 1.7mb and there was a special program to make a copy of those discs but i can´t remember the name of it.

Reply 19 of 28, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for all the replies so far.
Being weird the only DOS ones I liked were HD-Copy (with it's issues) and DCP elianda pointed to. But for different reasons none is up to the task so now I am convinced kryoflux is the way to go... even when making standard IMG files with it the result must be superior.