VOGONS

First post, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I pulled this board from an old 286 that wasn't posting. I confirm the AT PSU works as I've tried it with another board. The motherboard model number is KMA-202F-12R and I found a user manual online.

First of all the DS1287 is likely dead but also none of the RAM slots were populated to begin with. I pulled up two random 30pin SIMM modules from my spare parts, put them in BANK 0, set the mobo jumpers for 512k Ram size and SIMM memory selection, but nothing happened. (Disclaimer - I don't really know anything about RAM this old and don't know how to identify modules, their size or compatibility with a given system.) The user manual says the SIMMs should be 256K*9 so I assume this means 9 chips per module. I then tried with other modules with 9 chips each and powered the PSU. I quickly noticed a burned smell and the second SIMM felt really hot so I turned the power off. 😵

I then thought I would try with DIP RAM instead. The user manual says to use "41256" and "44256" chips. I couldn't ID the chips I had in my box of spares but I thought: "what the hell, I'll give it a go... as long as the number of pins match the socket, what could possibly go wrong" 🤣. I populated bank 0 with 6 chips, set the jumpers for DIP RAM and turned the power on. Burned smell was even worse and the chips got super hot.

Questions:

-What happened?
-Did I kill the board?
-Did I kill the RAM?
-Where do I go from here?

I'd love to be able to revive this board as it seems to be a nice one with a 286-12, integrated serial, parallel, floppy and IDE. But I'm afraid troubleshooting it might be beyond my current skills 😖

Here's a picture of the board:

OVVxK2vl.jpg

And a picture of my pool of spare chips and memory modules. I got them for free from the same person a while ago when I bought some systems from him, and I've got no idea if they're defective or working.

m0p4vzml.jpg?1

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 1 of 5, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't find PDFs to see if there is anything odd with the memory chips.

I don't like the look of the Winbond W83C210P to the left of the DIP memory sockets, it has a nasty spot on it. Could be something but it could also be nothing.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is the part number of the DIP ram chips you used MMaximus? It is possible the pinout is different and they are fried , you have to get "41256" and "44256" chips to try now OR find the proper settings so you can use the simm sockets

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 5, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is a picture of the DIP Ram chips. The 8-pin ones say "MB81256-15 8541 B19 BC" and the 10-pin ones are marked "dt 6168 SA20P 8951M".

XDEeouCl.jpg

I've turned the board around and noticed there's been some kind of repair at some stage. I have no idea what this is and at this point I think I'll give up on this one and probably sell it for parts 😒

uU1C5TZl.jpg

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 4 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

from what I see on the datasheets it's the "6168 SA20P" sram , the VCC and GND pins are in the opposite position compared to the 44256-type sram... so they are dead, if you find some 44256 sram then chances are the board will work if there aren't any other issues...

ngo6xw.jpg

41256 and MB81256 have the same pinout.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 5, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, that's very helpful! Somehow I was naive and didn't think there could be any possibility of frying the chips. It's definitely easier to install RAM in modern computers these days. Can you imagine if you could only use a specific type of DDR4 and any other would go up in smoke in your board 😀

I still don't know why the problem also happened with the SIMMs. I guess I must have fried one or two modules... I'll cut my losses and not touch this board anymore. I have a few other 286 systems to tinker with so no need to play the sorcerer's apprentice with this one. 😀

Hard Disk Sounds