VOGONS

First post, by timb.us

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, does anyone know if this mouse supports serial with a PS/2 to Serial Adapter? I tried it with a random adapter I had in my parts bin, but it doesn’t seem to work. I’m thinking this adapter is just wired for a different brand mouse, because I swear these MS IntelliMice *did* support serial.

MSMOUSE_t.jpg

MSMOUSE_b.jpg

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. (E.g., Cheez Whiz, RF, Hot Dogs)

Reply 2 of 6, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, I think that's right. I have four of these (1.0, 1.1A and 1.3A), two different adaptors, and was unable to get any combination to work. The mouse must say on the label that it supports PS/2 and Serial or it won't work.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 3 of 6, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not only that, but you need to get the right PS/2 -> Serial converter too (no idea how to know what the "right" one is either). I have two of these Microsoft IntelliMouse that do say "PS/2 and Serial" on them and they both refuse to work with all the converters that I have. 🙁

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 4 of 6, by timb.us

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gered wrote:

Not only that, but you need to get the right PS/2 -> Serial converter too (no idea how to know what the "right" one is either). I have two of these Microsoft IntelliMouse that do say "PS/2 and Serial" on them and they both refuse to work with all the converters that I have. 🙁

Thanks for the answer guys. I looked these up on eBay and sure enough, the serial version shows +-12V on the label. Ah well, I guess I’ll keep using my Kensington Mouse in a Box for now. I *know* I’ve got a Logitech Trackman Marble stashed around here, which *does* support serial; I just need to find it!

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. (E.g., Cheez Whiz, RF, Hot Dogs)

Reply 5 of 6, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess with passive adapters the mouse itself should have support circuitry for both.
Normally on pc the rs232 port logic high is -12v(or -13v) and logic low is +12v(or+13v) and the ps/2 port uses 5v logic high and 0v for logic low.
Now a universal mouse adapter could be done with a MCU and a max232, or even without the mcu(i don't have the knowledge to do it other way, neither i know any ic made for that).

Reply 6 of 6, by timb.us

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
.legaCy wrote:

I guess with passive adapters the mouse itself should have support circuitry for both.
Normally on pc the rs232 port logic high is -12v(or -13v) and logic low is +12v(or+13v) and the ps/2 port uses 5v logic high and 0v for logic low.
Now a universal mouse adapter could be done with a MCU and a max232, or even without the mcu(i don't have the knowledge to do it other way, neither i know any ic made for that).

Yeah, that’s not a bad idea. I’ve already got a working prototype of a USB to Serial mouse converter (using a USB Host IC and MCU; all I’d need is to add a PS/2 port and it would really be universal. (If you added a male to male PS/2 cable it could function in several ways: USB->Serial, USB->PS/2, Serial->PS/2 or PS/2->Serial!)