VOGONS

First post, by Rabanik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys.
There were written a lot of words regarding a 100% backup copy of CD-DA, like reading offset of CD/DVD drive, pregaps using Exact Audio Copy. There is no problem.
But what about the 100% backup of games in mixed mode (games with audio tracks)? Is this possible? I like to do the things right. When you use for this purpose programs like Alcohol 120%, UltraISO, IMGBurn etc. the copy is not 100% because this programs do not use the reading offset like EAC. The grab witho offset 0. The only program which do it almost right is old Plextools Professional (not the PlexTools Professional XL there is a bug with correct offset) which I bought together with my Plextor PX-716SA. When I grab and after than burn a CD from PXI image via Plextools Professional and than I extract the track using the EAC with correct reading offset and compare the track with the original there are no missing samples. The copy of the tracks is 100% same like on the original CD. The only issue are the pregaps between the tracks. These are slightly shifted copmared wit the original. FYI when I use Plextools Professional for music CD only and than I compare the copy with original it is 100% the same.
The pregaps match with original too. The pregaps do not work only with mixed CDs of game CDs. Is there some way to fix it?

Check the picture with my results. It is my backup copy of my World of Xeen - Disc 01.
On the left there is shown an original CD with corect pregaps
In the midle there is a copy via PlexTools with slightly shifted pregaps but the tracks have no missing samples (checked)
On the right there is a copy via Alcohol 120% with correct pregaps but the tracks have missing samples (checked)

Do you have some familiar results or you use another program for backup copies?

Attachments

• Results.JPG
    Filename
    Results.JPG
    File size
    329.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 1, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know much about this, but I remember finding some discussion about it in regards to early CD based game consoles that used mixed mode music. Some examples would be the Sega CD (Mega CD), NEC Turbo CD (PC Engine), and I guess the 3DO. You might find more info about it by searching in the context of game consoles.

I still have a couple programs installed called "PerfectRip" and "CDmage" which I remember using when I was dumping my original Sega CD discs. But I don't remember what the workflow was anymore. I do remember the "offset" issue but I don't remember how it was to be handled. And honestly, even when I was in the middle of that project, I never quite felt like I knew what I was doing.

Somewhere there was a web site that had a list of offset values for different drives, but then I think there was some confusion about how to interpret the numbers given, and even whether they were correct.