VOGONS

First post, by Rolandradio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

the LPT port is not showing in the bios list, only ComA but not ComB and LPT1. (diskette controller is also not in list)
In the manual they talking only about enable/disable and hidden for security options.
Nothing found with google. HP helpdesk is maybe last chance.

The BIOS is aberrant HP commercial type, not a normal AMI, Award or Phoenix.
BIOS is reset en has the latest verion. (2015)

Reply 1 of 5, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

[Corrected]

The HP Elite 8000 does not have a floppy interface.
I know some of the tech docs yammer on like they do, but if you look at the boards there are no ports.

The LPT & Serial B are by header and you probably need the correct cable installed for the BIOS to see it.
OEM's like HP & Dell often use a bit of wiring trickery to create a presence detect circuit.
If the cable (mobo to back panel) is not installed the system doesn't know you have a parallel port (or whatever else).
In some cases if you don't use their branded cable the presence detect doesn't work and it still won't know you have it.
I can't say for sure that's the problem but that's what I'd look at first.

The header for the serial port is P52. It is a 2x8 pin header. The pinout gives Pin-12 as "Comm B Detect".

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 2 of 5, by Rolandradio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah thanx, when I look the COM2 cable picture on internet there is an IC on it and that's maybe the detection for this board. BIOS show this only when it has detected this. They want that you only buy from HP.

The LPT port has maybe a wire to ground or something for detection, maybe solder a wire do the trick.
A friend of me give this computer and for testing it's ok but is still aberrant.
I give it a last try.

Reply 3 of 5, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rolandradio wrote:

BIOS show this only when it has detected this. They want that you only buy from HP.

Exactly.

Rolandradio wrote:

The LPT port has maybe a wire to ground or something for detection, maybe solder a wire do the trick.

A while ago I had to figure out why the power switch on a Dell Precision had 3 wires instead of two.
This is what I found.

Switch Presence Detect_.JPG
Filename
Switch Presence Detect_.JPG
File size
37.58 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The IC's are probably in the chipset. I did not trace that down because I was only interested in the cable and front panel. As you can see a standard two wire cable won't work without adding a third wire to the 4th pin -or- defeating the interlock by adding a jumper between the 2nd and 4th header pins.

The printer port cable on the Elite 8000 may be doing something similar.

I have an Elite 8300 SFF and some 8200 & 8300 CMTs in the shop.
Time permitting I will check if any have the LPT cable and if it's the same as the 8000.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 4 of 5, by Rolandradio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's working !

Pin 21 must connected to ground then the LPT port is detected, and the LPT port is now in the BIOS list.
I soldered pin21 with pin22 at the sub-D connector side.
HP has pin 16 connected with pin 26, normal pin 26 is NC but this mobo has it connected to ground and pin 16 is the detector.

Reply 5 of 5, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice job! Congrats!