VOGONS

First post, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just won a Creative Sound Blaster SB16 Value CT2770. This has the Panasonic/Creative interface. I don't have a CD-ROM yet. What would you recommend? Will any IDE work as long as a specific driver is used, or must it be a specific model of drive. Is there a master list of compatible drives?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 11, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

*NO* IDE drive will work connected to that SB16. It must be a drive using the Creative/Panasonic interface. One such drive would be the CR-563-B.

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 3 of 11, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It would be great if anyone would weigh in with model numbers of single speed drives that support this. I'm putting it in a 286 so that would be awesome to use a 1 or 2 speed drive. I don't see any CD562 or 563 on eBay are they rare?

Reply 4 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CR-521 CR-522 and CR-523 are the compatible 1X models . They use caddies, so make sure you get at least one such caddie if you are intent on purchasing such a drive .
CR-562-B and CR-563-B used to be very common, but are now 25 years old so they're getting rarer and more expensive . They used to cost less than 150 Canadian dollars when new . I have seen them on auction sites going for more than that recently .

All of these drives are slow, hog the CPU and are so-so with CD-R media , just so you know . But if you really want an authentic early to mid-nineties experience...

Reply 6 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got a non working CR-563-B Had it since brand new and even then it wasn't the best drive. About 4 years (1998) ours started to not read pressed CD's and Kodak CD-R's which were decent consumer grade back then never worked in the drive.
I wouldn't expect much life left in the drives that even make it to ebay. Mine is left in for looks only.

You may be better finding a IDE or SCSI 1x drive as they are more common and even they are going to be rare now, and then get a soundcard with a matching interface.

PS
you can find a pic of mine as well as a few other MKE interface drives here Osbone 486 DX2 66 VL-Bus (My 1st PC ever)

Reply 11 of 11, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TimWolf wrote:
darry wrote:
TimWolf wrote:

Will an Apple i300 work on the soundblaster?

The AppleCD 300i Plus is SCSI, so that would be a no for the CT2770.

Inside, the unit is it the correct CD-563-B?

Apple i300 Plus is the CR-503-K, a SCSI drive, if my hardware test lab memory serves me correctly.

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"