VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone had any experience with Evergreen's cache-back technology, which apparently was an interposer in combination with a software enabler to add write-back L1 cache to machines which only supported write-through cache? Obviously the interposer would come with a CPU that supported write-back cache, like the Am5x86 or Cx5x86.

Some information from the Evergreen diagnostic disk readme.

\ETDIAG
TESTCB.BAT Batch file used to test Cache-Back (tm)/Write-Back Cache compatibility.
Cache Back (tm)/Write Back Cache test. Other DMA Bus Master devices (these include some SCSI controllers, net cards, sound cards, etc.) may be incompatible with Cache Back (tm)/Write Back Cache. If after testing this is found to be true, put the upgrade into write through (WT) mode (see manual on how to change modes).
ET586   /CBE     	Enables Cache Back on 586, writes to IO port

Considering that this "technology" may not work with some SCSI controllers, NICs, sound cards, etc, it sounds like a failure from the onset. But alas, I have an interposer which may be from Evergreen. It doesn't say Evergreen on it though. It says "By D.M.", whoever that is. Evergreen had a half dozen or more part numbers from that era and the contents of the part numbers can be difficult to determine. I sort of recall seeing Evergreen interposers look just like this one, so... I hope to test it out on a motherboard which only supports write-thru cache. Anyone have any experience with Evergreen's "cache-back" technology?

Evergreen_Interposer.jpg
Filename
Evergreen_Interposer.jpg
File size
543.12 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am using my PC Chips M912 for testing. The manual doesn't even list a Cyrix or AMD 5x86 and the latest CPU listed in the manual appears to be the Intel DX4. When I put in the Cyrix 5x86-100 and use the i486DX4's jumpers, everything seems to work just fine. The BIOS has an option to set the cache in write-back or write-through mode, however both settings yield the same benchmark results. CHKCPU says the L1 cache is in write-back mode for both settings.

I can use Evergreen's software, ET586.exe /WBD, to set the L1 cache back into write-through mode, which seems to work. Unfortunately, the benchmark results are still the same as before. I'm not really sure what to make of all this. Either the CPU is stuck in write-back mode, or write-through mode, but I don't know which. If I use ET586 to set the L1 cache into write-through mode, then use /WBE to set write-back mode again, the system will hang when I try to run a program.

Using the Evergreen interposer did not change the benchmark results. The only thing it did allow me to do was to allow the CPU to run in write-back mode again after first having set it to write-through mode.

I'm guessing that this motherboard might not be the best candidate for this experiment. Perhaps using a 386 motherboard with the Transcomputer module + Evergreen module is a better bet to ensure there is no L1 write-back support.

Reply 2 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nobody has heard about Evergreen's "cache-back" technology then? A fellow forum member brought it up to me a few months ago and I have encountered it in a few magazine advertisements, however I am starting to wonder if there is any technology there. They tend to put the trademark after cache-back, that is, "cache-back(tm)". Perhaps it was just a gimmic - enable write-back cache via CPU registers and hope it work, similiar to how the BIOS would write to the CPU registers.

So it looks like the CBE part of ET586 /CBE is only for the OS/2 operating system. In DOS, there is only the a write-back enable or disable feature, while OS/2 has write-back enable/disable and cache-back enable/disable.

Reply 4 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know. I suspect it is mostly a marketing gimmick. I need a more suitable motherboard to test this feature out on.

Reply 5 of 15, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think this is mainly to eliminate combatiblity problems with some CPU's on older Mainboards ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 7 of 15, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Evergreen charged an extra $20-$30 for the cacheback feature. The upgrades that didn't support cacheback didn't come with the lattice IC, so obviously it contains some magic.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 15, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

EvergreenST5x86.jpg
EvergreenST5x86_B.jpg

I know this through a combination of posts on usenet, and these photos. No CB jumper, no lattice IC.

Reply 10 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh nice find.

Do you have any idea what the BLK/RED holes are for?

And what about this CB jumper? I assume CB is for write-back cache. Move the jumper up two pins, it is for write-through cache. What about no jumper, or jumper on the middle?

Lastly, there is this OD jumper, which I assume is intended for an overdrive socket. There are 3 possible positions: 1-2, 2-3, no jumper. Any idea what this jumper does? I wonder if one such position is to bypass the onboard VRM?

Have you seen a manual for this interposer? I could only find the manual for the Evergreen manual with the QFP Am5x86 soldered on.

Reply 11 of 15, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So you would need to find one of these lattice chips, pray to the electronics gods that it can be poked hard enough to reveal its workings, or just use enough knowledge to do it yourself from scratch.

My limited experience with these things in macintosh products tells me the lattice chip is just watching the data bus for a certain combination of 1's & 0's and intercepting certain register commands to replace them with something else. The lattice chip is just a basic CPLD by the looks of it.

it might be as simple as the program sending a special set of data through the processor that the cpld will trigger, and send the corrected data to the cpu that causes the missing functionality to work. I'd wager getting the chip would be fall down easy, but finding the program and programmer would prove to be challenging.

I'd wager the black/red are for the black & red leads of a small 5v fan.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12 of 15, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would guess that the cache jumper lets you set WT, WB and CB. I will let you know when I take possession of my Evergreen kit. I'll scan the manual and upload it to VOGONS.

Reply 14 of 15, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only if protection bit isn't set, which it normally is. If there's no storage in the chip you can brute force the logic out of it by inputting all possible combinations and observing the output.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 15 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So if the "protection bit" isn't set, you can read these logic controllers like an EEPROM, that is, copy it and write it to another logic controller?