VOGONS

First post, by cxm717

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, so just as the title says I'm getting really bad flickering on my nvidia TNT when I disable vsync in D3D.

The card is a Creative CT6710 and everything seems to work with vsync enabled and OpenGL is fine with it enabled or not. I have the card in an Aopen AX6BC (Edit: the board is an AX6BC, not AXBC) with a P2 450 and 128MB of PC100. I also have an SB live and SB16 in the board. The games I get the flickering in are incoming, forsaken, turok and turok2. I have tried drivers 21.83, 40.72 and 44.03.

I made a quick video of the problem with my phone: https://youtu.be/vNfnuHiMOjA

Reply 1 of 7, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The purpose of vsync is stop flickering (by syncing the gfx card refresh with your screens refresh) so I guess it would make sense that you see flickering when vsync is disabled. OpenGL perfromance probably isn't as good as D3D so doesn't render at framerates that exceed you screens refresh rate, ergo you might not need it enabled with GL, but do with D3D.

Reply 2 of 7, by cxm717

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, when I disable vsync on my other cards it sure doesn't look like that. Sometimes you can see through objects/walls. Maybe someone with a TNT card could give it a try? btw, powerstrip does not disable vsync on the newer drives, only rivatuner worked. I ended up trying some older drives, 5.32 and 8.05 and they were the same.

Reply 3 of 7, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, seeing through objects and walls doesn't sound like a vsync issue o.0. More a driver issue maybe? Or it could be a combination of driver and/or hardware slightly malfunctioning.

Pausing your video at various points seems to display the same issue you mentioned, some geometry seems to be left out when rendering in alternate frames? there is slight tearing too. Its seems quite screwy with dropped geometry and the refresh is obviously bang out of sync with what it should be. Is double bufferuing enabled? I don't have a TNT set up so can't test anything for you I'm afraid. Is there any reason you want vsync disabled?

Reply 4 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm sure I've heard of this problem before. Sounds like a buffer problem.

Some results here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/tnt$ … vsync$20tearing

Reply 5 of 7, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you try a much older driver and see if it produces the same results?

These are from 2000 and run even on a GeForce2, so give them a go.
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=7 … &menustate=14,1

Reply 6 of 7, by cxm717

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I got it working normally. I went through all the Nvidia drivers in the vogons driver library and the detonator 2.08 drivers work. I noticed the rivatuner vsync page changed with different drivers. With 2.08:

208rt.png
Filename
208rt.png
File size
102.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

and with 45.23:

4523rt1.png
Filename
4523rt1.png
File size
101.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 7, by cxm717

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I'm sure I've heard of this problem before. Sounds like a buffer problem.

Some results here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/tnt$ … vsync$20tearing

That's interesting, I'm not the only one to have the same problem with newer drivers.

spiroyster wrote:

Yes, seeing through objects and walls doesn't sound like a vsync issue o.0. More a driver issue maybe? Or it could be a combination of driver and/or hardware slightly malfunctioning.

Pausing your video at various points seems to display the same issue you mentioned, some geometry seems to be left out when rendering in alternate frames? there is slight tearing too. Its seems quite screwy with dropped geometry and the refresh is obviously bang out of sync with what it should be. Is double bufferuing enabled? I don't have a TNT set up so can't test anything for you I'm afraid. Is there any reason you want vsync disabled?

I just wanted vsync disabled so I could benchmark the card and compare the results with other cards.