VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me, one of the great disappointments of the AWE64Gold is the lack of a wavetable header. Thus the Chill & Phil midi adapter was born. This allows you to add the DreamBlaster X1, X2, S1, and S2 to the external game port of your sound card. What has always bothered me about this is that the DreamBlaster would stick out the back of the computer case. The larger the wavetable card, the further it sticks out. Shown here,

Chill_and_Phil_regular_1.jpg
Filename
Chill_and_Phil_regular_1.jpg
File size
70.62 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Chill_and_Phil_regular_2.jpg
Filename
Chill_and_Phil_regular_2.jpg
File size
212.57 KiB
Views
File license

If you are like me and always move cases in and out of the closet for testing, the DreamBlaster sticking out of the back was a general annoyance, so much so that I just left it unconnected and didn't bother to use it. With the low profile of the Chill & Phil and the S1/S2 midi cards, I thought it would be beneficial to rotate the adapter 90 degrees so that it doesn't stick out any more. So I picked up a normal orientation DB15.

Unfortunately, the pins were too short, so I had to add some extension headers to it. Unfortunately, the pin spacing of the DB15 isn't quite the same as the standard 2.54 mm of pin headers, so I had to cut my headers in two's and solder them as pairs. The results are attached.

Chill_and_Phil_mod_1.jpg
Filename
Chill_and_Phil_mod_1.jpg
File size
215.71 KiB
Views
File license
Chill_and_Phil_mod_2.jpg
Filename
Chill_and_Phil_mod_2.jpg
File size
183.03 KiB
Views
File license
Chill_and_Phil_mod_3.jpg
Filename
Chill_and_Phil_mod_3.jpg
File size
234.19 KiB
Views
File license

More ideal would be to make an alternate version of the Chill & Phil with the normal orientation DB15 connector on the flip side of the PCB, and to re-trace the PCB for this flipped orientation.

Ultimate 486 Benchmark | Ultimate 686 Benchmark | Cyrix 5x86 Enhancements | 486 Overkill Graphics | Worlds Fastest 486

Reply 1 of 5, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here are the photos of the rotated Chill & Phil installed with an S2 card. The furthest point of the Chill & Phil sticks out no further than the parallel port connector on my case.

Chill_and_Phil_rotated_1.jpg
Filename
Chill_and_Phil_rotated_1.jpg
File size
209.15 KiB
Views
File license
Chill_and_Phil_rotated_2.jpg
Filename
Chill_and_Phil_rotated_2.jpg
File size
208.24 KiB
Views
File license
Chill_and_Phil_rotated_3.jpg
Filename
Chill_and_Phil_rotated_3.jpg
File size
200.76 KiB
Views
File license

Ultimate 486 Benchmark | Ultimate 686 Benchmark | Cyrix 5x86 Enhancements | 486 Overkill Graphics | Worlds Fastest 486

Reply 3 of 5, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I ended up flipping the stereo jack 180 degrees on the Chill 'n Phil so that the configuration doesn't consume the next two adjacent ISA slots. If you flip it around, it only consumes one adjacent slot. This allowed for the needed space to install a game port card, since the AWE64Gold's game port is consumed by the Chill 'n Phil. Note that I needed to epoxy the stereo jack once I turned it because the strain on just the centre solder leads will rip off the pads when you insert the stereo jack.

Notice the very close spacing between the stereo jack and the AWE64Gold's input port. It is tempting to want to cut the cable and solder it to remove the excess cable.

Stereo_jack_flip-around_1.jpg
Filename
Stereo_jack_flip-around_1.jpg
File size
328.92 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Stereo_jack_flip-around_2.jpg
Filename
Stereo_jack_flip-around_2.jpg
File size
340.18 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Stereo_jack_flip-around_3.jpg
Filename
Stereo_jack_flip-around_3.jpg
File size
170.21 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 4 of 5, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It just so happened that the 6" stereo cable fit into the hole on the slot covers, so it is nicely tucked away now.

Stereo_jack_flip-around_4.jpg
Filename
Stereo_jack_flip-around_4.jpg
File size
197.82 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Show that the gamepad plugs can still fit into the slot just one space away from the rotated Chill 'n Phil.

Stereo_jack_flip-around_5.jpg
Filename
Stereo_jack_flip-around_5.jpg
File size
205.15 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 5 of 5, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Brief update here. I decided to add a standard 3.5 mm headphone jack to a slot panel for the AWE64Gold. This way I don't need to fiddle with the RCA-to-phono jack adapter each time I pull the system out.

AWE64Gold_headphone_jack_1.JPG
Filename
AWE64Gold_headphone_jack_1.JPG
File size
140.36 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
AWE64Gold_headphone_jack_2.JPG
Filename
AWE64Gold_headphone_jack_2.JPG
File size
164.48 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
AWE64Gold_headphone_jack_3.JPG
Filename
AWE64Gold_headphone_jack_3.JPG
File size
143.03 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Also did this on another system whereby there was a free slot on the other side of the AWE64Gold.

AWE64Gold_headphone_jack_4.JPG
Filename
AWE64Gold_headphone_jack_4.JPG
File size
136.63 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0